Releasing on vinyl in small quantity (EU)?

Hi! Sometimes I am returning to the idea of releasing of important to me records/albums on vinyl (for me, for friends and maybe sending some copies to relevant labels).
The main problem (besides that printing plants could be very busy, I’m still waiting for some of the important to me releases stuck in printing for more than a year) is that on a most sites all is reasonable regarding the pricing and conditions, but the minimum amount of records is 200 or 500.
I don’t even have a space to store this many.

Interested to hear if there any options in EU to print records in smaller numbers (or maybe just try to negotiate with the companies to print small batch, probably, for bigger price?)

Might be worth a look, I have no experience with them though.

2 Likes

following

I think elasticStage is doing business now. They developed a process that will ( supposedly ) let them do a “vinyl” album on demand.

They are in London, but hope to set up production other places eventually. Worth asking what they could do for you.

See this thread :

2 Likes

I know he’s busy but you might be able to get an opinion from @boboter , very nice and talented person who has some specific experience with this topic. Although admittedly, I’m not sure of the quantity you would hope to press vs the quantity his limited vinyl releases are pressed in.

1 Like

Not sure if it is also in Europe, but Bandcamp does record pressing.

https://bandcamp.com/vinyl

3 Likes

Hey! I don‘t have experiences with vinyl runs below 200 copies, sorry. Maybe someone will make them but the production price per copy will most likely be super high. Same goes for waiting times.

I‘d rather look for someone who can make a decent lathe cut for like 20-30 copies. Quality won‘t be as good, but if you consider it more like a token, it still might be a viable option.

1 Like

Sending vinyl to labels is not a good idea. They don’t want or need it, they want digital files they can listen to immediately. Sending them vinyl is a waste of your resources and their time.
I know someone who did this a couple of years back and got a terse email back pointing them to the submission guidelines and asked them not to do that again. YMMV :man_shrugging:

I never knew this, I’m interested, and based in the UK, so I’ll explore if it’s available to me here.

1 Like

Thanks all for the ideas1

1 Like

I meant labels which are also a mailorder, not sending for demos of course

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what I was concerned about.

I know there is a lathe-cut thing (however haven’t listened to any such record), but in my case I consider it more than a symbolic, a proper release but in minimal amount.