Rehplica - Rest EP - IDM w/ Elektron gear

Hi Elektronauts!

I hope you’re all doing good. I have just recently uploaded to bandcamp my new EP I’ve called Rest - the genre is IDM and it’s my first real attempt at making a cohesive collection of tracks with a themed approach.

I wanted to post it here to hopefully encourage a few listeners but also because I am predominantly using Elektron gear in these tracks and they are at the core of my creativity when working on music. For this EP I made heavy use of the Machinedrum, Monomachine and Octatrack.

I welcome any constructive feedback that you may have. The general theme that I kept in mind while creating this EP was around moments of significant anxiety, grief and loss, and getting through those moments by allowing them to pass. I wanted there to be a sense of urgency in the music and I think overall this feeling comes across well in the track order, length and general sound.

I made a YouTube video (just a still image w/ audio) for one of the tracks titled Visceral that I’ll link here as well, to serve as a preview:

And here is the bandcamp:

It was intended to be a gapless EP and very much is when downloaded but I realise when streaming the bandcamp player will buffer each track. Oh well.

If you’re on bandcamp and like what you hear please do give me a follow! I’m keen to grow things a bit on there as I enjoy using the platform myself as a fan.

Thanks for listening! Love to all. :black_heart:

4 Likes

I will bump the topic. :wink:

This album is great, very creative. I’ve wanted to write a few words before, but I keep discovering something new about it all the time.

I don’t know if that was the intention but I kind of perceive it as conceptual. The first half is more dynamic, like we’re heading somewhere or something is about to happen (great Anguish and Visceral). In the second half there is a letting go (the wonderful and calming Ascending) and an acceptance (and relief?) - it’s the last three tracks, probably the best part of the whole album.

Great work, congratulations! :thup:

1 Like

Hey @monomatik thank you, really interesting to read your thoughts and perspective and I appreciate the kind words as well!

You are right with what you say regarding the conceptual aspects. I’m a big fan of the ‘album format’ in the music I listen to so I think it comes from that. I know the modern way with streaming is to release singles on a consistent basis to help get noticed more but I am not sure I’ll ever be able to do that. We’ll see I guess.

Like you say, with this release there is a building anxiety and claustrophobic feeling initially, then a loss and an acceptance of that, which includes grieving but also definitely some relief (really cool that you hear that) and then coming to terms with that and being okay with feeling that way. It’s all the feelings that come with letting go which we can all relate to in some way I am sure.

Seriously though it’s really great to read your thoughts on it as it helps me to realise I accomplished what I set out to do with this release, and it’s great to hear that at least one person out there heard that and took something from it.

So really, thank you again for taking the time to listen and to comment :black_heart:

1 Like