Reference tracks in the age of spotify

Metric AB looks excellent. It’s back up to $199 again now, but PA sales being what they are in would imagine it will be back down to a decent price before long.

I tend to make what is essentially hip-hop, with a focus on heavy, raw drums & analogue synths. Mr. Chop works for some things quite well as Coz’s stuff is always superbly mixed and engineered, but it’s not all that close to what I do really.

Ooh, bummer about the PA sale ending. I’ve heard Mastering the Mix Reference 2 is pretty similar but haven’t used it myself. Like you said, though, PA sales happen pretty frequently and I’d never pay full price for their stuff.

1 Like

FYI, it looks like Plugin Alliance reset the ANY-2999 coupon (as well as the 3999 and 4999 variations), good until midnight PST.

3 Likes

Thank you - just grabbed it!

2 Likes

Cool. Make sure you match your levels, you can do it in the software, left side shows levels of your track and the reference track with faders for output levels. You can change the level for each individual reference track in the playback section with the gain parameter and there is also automatic loudness matching. Spectrum, correlation, stereo image, dynamics and loudness can all display the two streams (your daw session and the reference track) in split screen mode (called dual) and layered.
The little control panel section, right under “Display” let you toggle between single, dual and layered.
If you got the levels match and choose layered, it’s super easy to match your track to the reference.
Although sometimes you’ll want to switch to dual (split screen), because layered mode shows some stuff (like the range on correlation the meter) only for one stream.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips - that’s very much appreciated!