Redid setup, choosing new groovebox

I’d say more 50+

He just turned 51.

1 Like

I’m just itchy to build a live set. Digitakt only doesn’t cut it. I tried and tried, but the continuing of bouncing down tracks to samples to free up other tracks for a 30-45 min liveset is insane. I could use the Machinedrum, but it’s not something I’d ever take out of my house… Plus… the sound is not what I am looking for all the time.

1 Like

My friend told me that the last Track I made with my MD sounded very Organic (without any Post-Processing).

That’s great. Maybe digital isn’t the right word then. I’ll correct it to “not what I am looking for” can I hear this track?

1 Like

It’s tough when you are trying to deal with transitions. A looper pedal helps a lot. As does another synth with its own sequencer.

1 Like

I have to admit, at present I’m not thinking about the live setup for anything more than video streaming from my home, but playing gigs is definitely something I will look towards doing again in the future at some stage

1 Like

X GND! Heck yeah. I was going to do this but I have absolutely no way to record a track. I’ll listen to this tonight.

The TR-8S is a brilliant drum machine for live performance. It’s designed around it, with the faders, 8 variations, pattern chaining (and being able to edit patterns other than the one that’s playing), fills, assignable performance knobs etc. Really good fun.

2 Likes

I should prob practice as a stream first. I’ve noticed that everyone who plays where I live is a DJ. I know that makes an hour live set way easier, but I think there should be a good open spot for live electronic music.

2 Likes

I’m sure there absolutely will be. Whereabouts are you based?

Pittsburgh. You’d think there would be a bigger scene with Pittsburgh modular being here, but I haven’t found anything. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong places

1 Like

Yeah, I would assume that the live electronics scene was thriving as a result, although I’m from just outside Sheffield (birthplace of Warp) and often I’ve found that you’d need to be very much in the know to realise things were happening at all (although they always very much are). Perhaps it’s the same situation there.

What genres are you playing live? I can pretty easily get an hour out of one project, never had to bounce down any tracks. Just digitakt + monosynth + dj mixer + fx unit for transitions.

MPC One based on what your requirements are.
Good sampling.
CV outs.
Good song mode.
Ok built in synths, better than most you mention.
Not the best for different time signatures.

OP-Z is capable, but extremely fiddly to use, and not built to last. Synths are just ok, I mainly use samples. I have 2 though.

Digitakt I found a bit cramped, and a bit limited. Sold mine.

Octatrack is amazing but I would not call it or choose it for a groovebox, although it can do that.

Ditto for OP-1.

Deluge offers a lot, jack of all trades, fiddly in use for some things. Ok synths, ok sampling, good sequencing, very basic CV implementation.

MC-707 has lots of great sounds, ok sampling, great fx, very easy handling for jamming/performing, fairly comprehensive synth editing.

whaaat, sold your digitakt?.. you know every time you sell a digitakt an angel loses it’s wings

Force has the goods from the MPC live/One plus clip mode, which is just great for live usage. Even better when combined with the crossfader, xy effects and scene effects.

Built like a tank, which is a pro and a con.

Suffers from being able to do too much, which makes it feels disjointed sometimes.

1 Like

Yeah I had OT for years, DT was cool but ultimately I prefer 2x OT :wink:

1 Like

the crazy thing about the MPC One / rest of the current line but just focusing on the one for the moment is that we now have in such a small package, such incredible I/0, connectivity, varied storage options, multiple control options, and the ability to autosample right from the device, not to mention Ableton export… for a tiny mpc to have such capabilities is really insane… there are even onboard plugins that I don’t even use, even for sketching out an idea because I can easily autosample my fav synths to use… this takes sketching out ideas to the next level… it’s simply amazing to be away from home, studio, and computer and still be able to use your hardware synths and your soft synths, and your iOS synths, all right on the mpc… really nothing compares to the usefulness… Running your soft synths or your hardware through fx pedals and fx plugins into the mpc and auto sampling , and being able to combine this with the easy, simple old mpc workflow from decades ago is like a dream come true if anyone would have known that it was ever going to even be possible, but nobody would have imagined…

the fact that you can fit an mpc one and a digitakt into a small bag is just nuts… we are living in the best times before the end :rofl:

1 Like

If you are going to use an iPad and already have an audio interface maybe a 1010Music Blackbox.

Solid sound quality, really good at sampling. Has a few tricks. FX are meh but that’s not really what it is for.

Poly samples and poly rhythms for days.

The only CV is clock… so if that’s a deal breaker I understand.

You can get them used for a decent price. Up to 256GB SD card support.

I like my OT but I sample everything into the BB.

If you want something that mangles then yea elektron all day.

If you want to capture your nice sources of sound and use the iPad to mangle/arrange further the simplicity of the BB is unmatched IMHO.

Sorry to add another :upside_down_face:

If you want CV and an Audio Interface and some extra stuff the Analog 4 makes a lot of sense if you are going to use an iPad to sample anyways. Just throw a cheap mixer before it into the EXT Inputs and you have good FX and some nice analog drums…

Done with my “from left field” moment haha