Red eye

Look for “yellow green” colored displays, I think that these come very close to the gameboy classic display. If you want a true classic experience, I suggest to disable background lighting :grin:

3 Likes

Beauty. Nice job!

1 Like

The Red Screen Rocks as well as The Machinedrum. if you can get the UW i strongly recommend the MDUW

Rod

My old Machinedrum MK1 is reborned now with a VF-Display. (The first picture has an exposure time artifacts because the time multiplex and the iphone exposure don’t match. In real life it looks great. )
The modding was very exiting :wink:

10 Likes

That looks COOL!

that looks great!

how much more current does it draw than the original? VFD’s are thirsty things!

1 Like

Thanks. It’s a special modified VFD for Elektron gear, but i guess it needs 150 mA more than the standart LCD. Anyway, the VFD’s working perfect.

2 Likes

This VFD apparently is GU128x64E-U100 from Noritake

3 Likes

Nice!

Here’s the specs for that display:

It pulls 550ma! I’m curious what the modification was to reduce the current draw… anyone know?

I’m thinking about changing my OT’s screen too. Maybe OLED will be a better option. it’s power consumption is lesser than VFDs

The Original Noritake VFD is to high and doesn’t fit under the front plate.
The highest components on the rear side of the pcb must be desoldered and moved to an outer region.
( Route to outside and wire )
This requires advanced soldering skills. Too hot de/soldering can destroyed the VFD.

3 Likes

ok I want that in my Rytm tbh.
that blue VFD looks super :+1:
but doesn’t look like they have one which can replace the Rytm screen…

These are available on ebay

1 Like

Did you have to run any other wires for the power? I’m curious if the power on the header pins was bypassed and tapped from somewhere else to get around problems with the insane current draw

Great job! Does it have a brightness regulator/jumper/switch? And also did you have to desolder original display to install this modded one?

Very good dealer! The prices for the modded VFDs are high but fair.
It’s no secret, I bought VFDs there :wink:

There is no possibility to adjust the brightness. But you can place filter foils in front of the VFD. (that’s also the method to change colors) I don’t use filters actually. I like to see the rough VFD.

The VFD is connected in the same way as the original Display. Only soldered at the 20 pins row.

lol @ the waldorf knob fitting as a replacement for the original track selector :smiley:

these displays look great, I’d be tempted to replace my OT/MM’s displays, but I don’t have a problem with them. Good to have that option if they fail though!

I put the blue screen on my MD, best decision I ever made. it’s sold now but I can attest, it was stunning.

1 Like