Recreating Elektron gear with modular

To recreate Elektron gear with Eurorack modules 1:1 is IMO not possible yet. Coming close to it, which I think is possible making certain compromises, is very expensive. Assume cost of 5 to 10 times more.

The major difference for me are the Elektron sequencers. The kind of easy p-locking so many parameters and saving it out as a pattern or project is hardly achievable with modular sequencers.

IMO one modular solution coming close to the Elektron workflow is the combination of WMD’s Metron and Voltera. Metron is a matrix trigger/gate sequencer and can be extended by Volteras, which provide 4 CV channels each.

Just to have a suggestion of cost:

• 850 EUR for one Metron with 16 trigger/gate tracks
  • 300 EUR for one Voltera with 4 CV tracks

For 16 trigger/CV tracks we would need one Metron and four Volteras and pay 2050 EUR. This would make no sound and have no case and power supply.

I suggest also to compare - as an example - the functions of the Techno-System of Erica Synths with one of the more recent models like A4, AR, OT, DN, ST etc.

IMO Eurorack modular shines, if the flexibility of patching with cables is required and the objectives of the artist can’t be achieved otherwise. On the other side we get more functionality for less money using Elektron devices.

Yeah but what about, for example, recreating a single channel of an older groovebox or a single MNM channel? With way less engines

See how a fair amount of OT functions could be covered by the ALM Squid Salmple

2 Likes

My suggestion would be to ask, what kind of sequencer and performance related UI is wanted? A “simple” 303 like groove box can quite easily be replicated with modular gear.

But, there are many great sound sources for modular systems out there, and only a few sequencers, which go deeper than a pair of gate/CV outputs per channel. This seems to me okay for sequencing movements in traditional subtractive synthesis, but many modules have so much more options for CV modulation and if the sequencer does provide only one CV per channel, who would wiggle all those other knobs.

IMO the strength of Elektron devices is that a single channel of e.g. OT has dozens of parameters asking to be used and modulated. Such manyfold modulation options are found either in Elektron boxes, some new issued groove boxes, and in DAWs.

I’m thinking Erica Synths Black Sequencer could actually, all channels combined, serve as a thing that can do parameter locks and lfos pretty well, then maybe add a fun osc or two and it’s already a decent start

1 Like

Previously:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/recreate-a-monomachine-voice-in-eurorack

2 Likes

Even if we find similar sounding oscillators and filters, the weakness of Eurorack here is that the usually only small subset of parameters are modulatable and the patching itself is “real”, you cannot “modulate” the destination - one of the main strengths of Elektron sequencers. // Oops, already mentioned

This is a great sequencer, indeed.

It was top on my short list, when I searched for a step sequencer recently, until I discovered that the Metron/Voltera combi supported an Elektron like workflow, well with a much higher price tag.

There are great videos about the Black Sequencer, e.g.:
Loopop review:

Demo:

Video-Manual:

If there had not been the Metron/Voltera I would have the Black Sequencer now :wink:

1 Like

Recreating the modular with Elektron gear is more fun IMO.

You can recall patches and find workarounds to almost anything imaginable.

Out of curiosity, what kind of limitations are causing you to consider this?

1 Like

I’m thinking about maybe having something more unique that could also be built slowly and have some modules built diy. Basically, spending money slower (and if I have an osc and a filter I like, maybe I won’t even want much more, therefore spend less but have a similar sequencing possibilities) and having some sort of unique sound.
I totally agree abt recalling patches, in fact I feel like a large use for OT is to just be like cutting up a tape but reliable and with recallable patches.

1 Like

Isn’t this the major purpose of many samplers like OT, MPC etc. ? :wink:

1 Like

Spending money slowly with Eurorack is pretty much impossible if you have a specific destination in mind.

If you don’t, then use Eurorack to do what is impossible or awkward with gear you already have. But be mindful of other gear that might get you close with less cost.

If you have no gear, don’t start with Eurorack.

1 Like

How do you figure in any real capacity? It definitely has a fixed architecture and signal flow. Just because you can change a few FX or route one or two things here and there doesn’t make it modular.

2 Likes

I feel like OT with the sampling buffers and workflow really reminds me much more of experiential tape slicing than any other sampler

1 Like

I defs watched a Ricky Tinez vid yesterday where he compared Monomachine to modular haha

You can get something more unique for less money but the control infra will be quite a challenge to get anywhere near to that of Elektrons.

1 Like

recreating something/anything in eurorack is a fools errand, one that will prove costly and frustrating.

musical instruments are not feature lists that you can tick off with the appropriate module.
they are a plethora of design decisions, from the UI, to the filter/oscillators chosens, even the limitations are deliberate design decisions. (oh and budget!)

with eurorack you need to make those decision very much based on what you want to achieve, and also whats available, in your budget etc etc.

personally, Id say forget Elektron gear, rather play with VCV Rack, and use it to flesh out what you would like to do with modular.
tip: try to use simpler vcvrack modules, and one that is ‘feasible’ to build in the real world.

sure vcv is not perfect, for many reasons… and I dont enjoy it much because of its lack of a tactile interface - but Ive no doubt, if you are serious about getting into eurorack, it can save you a lot of time, money and frustration :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This is why I eurorack! To venture into areas that are not possible with Elektron and other gear.

This is why I eurorack :point_down:

Not my video (obviously)

So thats why i always get so perplexed when people want to recreate menu diving in eurorack. For me the thrill is making pathces that are like a connected network, where audio and CV intermingle as both audio sources and modulation sources… where the turn of one knob can change up a whole patch.

7 Likes

Absolutely agree.

I gave it some tries to use it like Musique Contrete tape machines. Works pretty well.

1 Like

Heres my modular version of the Syntakt… sort of … :thinking::smiley:

2 Likes