Recording via Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Hi All - Just bought an OT…

Anyhow, I’m a novice. Is there a way to run the OT through the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen? There’s one Microphone input and one quarter inch cable.

I’m hoping I can record stereo into Ableton 10

thanks!!

Well, there is, but it’s messy.

You’ll want to do OT stereo out. Usually this would mean you would want a stereo cable or two quarter inch cables. Unfortunately, your solo has a mic in and a line in…You can use a quarter inch to xlr cable (they exist) but mic and line level are different things, so your levels will be different. Then just use a quarter inch cable to go into the second input.

You will have to pan the mic input left and the quarter inch input right to keep the Octatrack stereo. You can most likely do this with focusrite software.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the fast response. Makes sense.

I suppose I can just upgrade to a unit with (2) quarter inch inputs? Any recommendations?

Sure if you’re willing to upgrade I think it’d be a good investment. The 2i2 would probably be fine. Or you can future proof yourself and get one of the other ones. Behringer interfaces are dirt cheap.

1 Like

Excellent, the 2i2 looks ideal.

Also, when I first turn on the OT, should I boot up into the Demo mode, or should I boot up and first assign the Flash Card?

In other words, if I boot up with the Flash card and assign a Set/Project, will I be able to access the 16 Demo patterns (in order to play around with the machine before I dive in)?

I think you can access demo mode just by not having the CF card in there? don’t quote me on that tho

I think you are correct. I think I may skip the demo and jump right in.

Thanks again, and I’m sure i will be posting more topics as I learn.

2 Likes