Recording USB audio

Hi, using USB audio to record MS into Ableton. Works basically very good. I only get the feeling recorded stuff like 16hihats for example loose a bit of the original groove/swing you have in the box.
So question is: Do I have to change something while recording. Has it something to with the warping algorithm in ableton?

Thanks so far…

No one?

Edit: Wrong post. :expressionless:

I’m guessing that Ableton is auto-warping your takes. Check the warp settings in Options => Settings => Record/Warp/Launch. Try disabling ‘Auto-warp Long Samples’. That might be the culprit. If not, I do suspect that it’s the warping that quantizing the swing out of things.

Thank you, will have a try. At the moment my cool swinging hihats or stabs sound recorded like a robotic Staccato beat if you know what I mean.

I do and I’m almost certain it’s that setting that I pointed out. Seems to me I had this issue awhile back and it took me a few head scratches to figure it out.

1 Like

Maybe this Ricky Tinez video is quite helpful https://youtu.be/91bzrEo7B2U

You can also make sure that the M:S sends midi clock to Ableton to make sure it’s not a clock issue interfering with your hats.

1 Like

Yeah, seemed to be safest option.

Also read in the video comments you could just record an empty pattern before the specific pattern starts to record to prevent timing problems.

Recording an empty pattern definitely works to align clocks but every now and then the special qualities of your programming can get lost like what happened with your hihats.

I hope you figure out a good way to maintain your timing.

1 Like