Recording quality difference between Digitakt and OP-1

Hah :slight_smile: that is a challenge I am more than happy to accept, as well as the potential defeat that might follow.

That’s about the best goddam argument I’ve ever heard for the OP-1, actually.

Thank you :slight_smile: I think you will love it.

1 Like

Actually, this is a bit scary. Once I go OP-1, I’ll be without an Elektron with no clear sight of a new one. I’m definitely leaving the comfort zone, which is primarily defined by their sequencer, behind.

Now, if I paired this with a PO-32, I’d be so much out of my own waters, the family might even be concerned.

1 Like

Elektron comes in waves at my house. Had it down to one, everything seemed calm, and wuuusch - now there’s three… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like them kids :slight_smile: I got a daughter, figured this is pretty cool, I’m loving this, and suddenly now there’s three of them, all running around with their hands in the air like they just don’t care (which I can assure you, they don’t) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hahaha! :joy: I hear you…! I’ve managed to keep it down to two boys here :v:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure I was taught the right things in school about how kids were made, cause they keep multiplying and I have a feeling it’s not gonna stop at three :slight_smile:

1 Like

My grandmother, how had 9 kids, told me, that at some point, they just start to take care of each other, and from there on out, it’s pretty much smooth sailing. I don’t know when it is supposed to happen, but I wish you the best of luck :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve tested the DT sampling (see above) and when I get a chance I’ll do an OP-1 comparison. Workflow though they are night and day, the OP1 is a strange beast, brilliant and frustrating in equal measure. Try before you buy if possible :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I had the Digitakt for awhile, and made a few tracks with it (here’s one):

so I know what that’s like. I was early on the train and the crashes made me sell it, though not give it up - just wait until it got more stable. In the meantime, I had a chance to play with a mate’s OP-1 and while it made me miss an Elektron sequencer for track structure, the idea of recording and committing has been growing on me since.

But I’m not nearly as familiar with it as with the Digitakt, so if I could have just an evening to hook it up to the Moog before I pulled the trigger, that’d be great. But right now, they’re all gone and whoever’s had one close to me, has dropped it.

I wonder if maybe Teenage Engineering has ramped up a production stack of them OP-Z’s, ready for NAMM launch. The OP-1 is all out everywhere and won’t be back in stock for a couple of weeks. It wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve built stock on the OP-Z and will announce a delivery date that’s just around the NAMM corner.

1 Like

Hadn’t even heard of the OP-Z - looks interesting!
The OP1 and the DT aren’t really comparable for me, just about everything is different, but if you like the idea of basically recording to ‘tape’ then the OP1 is great. I don’t really hook it up to anything else, the best fun I had with it was taking it on holiday and making lots of odd little tracks.

1 Like

Well definitely don’t get an OP-1. Your kids will be convinced it’s for them. Also them seeing you messing around with something that looks like its designed for their age group, and not for adults, could also seriously undermine your paternal authority!

2 Likes

Wondering if you’d considered a Zoom multitrack recorder. Something like a Zoom R8 might fit the style of working you described very well, is fairly compact, runs on batteries, has a good built-in stereo microphone, XLR inputs with phantom power for when you want to use fancy microphones, great effects, internal mixdown and bouncing, and a built-in pad sampler and drum machine.

And it’s like only about a fourth of the price of an OP-1…

3 Likes

So true… My oldest is all over the sketch sequencer and the helicopter game :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had one of those a few years ago. I kind of like that the OP-1 does something new with the recording concept. Not just solid four track recording, but moving around, cutting and pasting, shifting snippets here and there - it’s sort of the porta concept taken to another level.

It’s like magic tape :slight_smile:

1 Like

Too late :slight_smile:

1 Like

I never owned one of the newer multitrack recorders, but I did own an OP-1 and I’m not sure that — except for the cute graphics — the tape cutting/pasting/moving/copying features of the OP-1 are any different than what you can do on a modern multitrack recorder.

If anything, it seems like a Zoom R8 has pretty much equivalent editing features while the Boss BR-800 seems to offer even more.

Again, haven’t touched any of these so the workflow might still be nicer on the OP-1.

Looks like you have a smart girl! Next thing, "Dad, you have the OP-1 and I’ll take the Moog for myself! Wonderful snap.

1 Like

To answer the original question - I’ve now done some more testing sampling into the DT and the OP1. I would say the OP1 rolls off the high end a little. I did my tests by sampling into the DT/OP1 and then sampling back into Logic (via UAD Apollo 8) from the outputs of the machines, not taking the raw samples off, so if you took the samples off by USB you might find it they are different, but I thought it was more realistic to sample the sound of the machines’ outputs.

1 Like

I believe the OP-1 can only sample in mono as well.