Recording manual automation over long periods

Hi all,

So I’m having a blast learning this absolute beast of a machine, it’s so creative and I’m wondering why it took me so bloody long to buy one, it’s staggering how easy it is to sample on the fly and use, I’ve had so much fun today with my iPhone plugged in on play Nd sampled so much stuff just to get the technique dialled into muscle memory.

Here’s where I’m struggling…

How do I record my manual tweaking? I thought live record would do it but it seems not to want to across anything more than a bar. Am I being a total muppet or is this how it is?

Thanks

For up to four bars, extend the length of the pattern.
For more than four bars, chain more than one pattern.

Once you have a complete piece in the ARRANGER, nothing and nobody is stopping you from staying in live record mode and tweaking all through the whole thing.

3 Likes

Ok, Peter Thanks but that’s why I was confused and why I said, it doesn’t seem to want to go past a bar, I’ve got many patterns set at length of 64 and it was so apparent to me when I had a bar of semi green lights on every step for the first 16 but none in the following bars… Head scratcher

@Coral hex so I have to use the arranger? Ok, I’ve not been there yet, simply in the patterns and been linking scenes via the fader.

So it’s the arranger or bust is it? Just to clarify

that’s why I was confused and why I said, it doesn’t seem to want to go past a bar.

It does that if your master is set to 16 in scale settings. Set it to 64 for 4 bars.

@Coral hex so I have to use the arranger? Ok, I’ve not been there yet, simply in the patterns and been linking scenes via the fader. So it’s the arranger or bust is it? Just to clarify.

No. Just like PeterHanes said, use single patterns for short automation and pattern chaining (p.78) if you want to record automation or performances spanning several patterns.

Also - just to show the extrapolation and tangential infinity of that idea - once you have a 25 minute jam made in the arranger, there’s nothing preventing you from live-recording tweaks and twiddles spanning the whole thing.

1 Like

Ok thanks for your help both,

Yes I’ve got it now, just done it and in the arranger also.