Recording from AK and Behringer XR18 in Reaper at the same time

I don’t have much experience with DAW’s but over the last few months have been using Reaper for a project I have been working on with another musician. I have a Behringer XR18 which has an ASIO driver that can stream all 18 channels of audio from the mixer over USB. This has been working just fine. Normally I have just been recording the stereo mix from my Analog Keys through the XR18. I am now in a position where I need to record each track from the AK separately on their own tracks. I can simply hook up the track outputs from the AK to the XR18 and just do it that way. However I like the simplicity of just connecting a USB cable and taking advantage of Overbridge and I can avoid rewiring my mixer.

So I have the XR18 ASIO driver set to be the recording source in Reaper. I then insert the Analog Keys VST in as a new track. All of this seems to work. It asks me if I want separate tracks and it drops in an Analog Keys track, Main, tracks 1 - 4, and Ext. Great. I play some keys and I see the audio input meters jumping to the sound. However they all are reacting to the stereo mix. If I select input on the track I only see the option to select the XR18 tracks. Now from the Analog Keys track I can select MIDI track 1 - 12. Even though it is labeled as MIDI this seems to be audio (please correct me if I am wrong since this doesn’t seem right). I switch to track 2 and still see the meter react to the main mix. I select tracks 3 - 12 and they don’t respond to anything I am doing on the AK.

Does anyone know how to correctly configure this setup in Reaper? I was thinking just forget using the VST and just record the Keys over the USB audio stream. Looking through the Overbridge manual it says in Windows (running Windows 7 on my laptop) only one ASIO driver can be enabled at any given time. So scratch that since I need the XR18 to record other instruments.

I’m not at the computer right now, but I think you have to record the output of the track - not the input. If I remember correctly you select it by clicking right mouse button on the recording button of the track.

Awesome, thanks! That was part of my problem. Basically I had to select output (right click on the record button) and then select multi channel recording. The one track has all of the AK’s tracks on it. I also missed that I needed to enable the other tracks in the OB configuration app. Seems to be working now. However it sucks that the FX are on the main only. I think I can do two passes on this song but that may be a problem later.