Recording entire jam to a track on Octatrack?

Cant find any info on in but is it possible to record thre main outs to a dedicated track with a static machine, instead of using a recorder or computer connected to the main outs?

If its possible, how is it done?

The Octatrack records to recorder buffers, not to static machines (static machines play samples rather than record them).

You can adjust the use of the OT’s RAM to dedicate a particular amount to the recorder buffers. Check pages 25-26 of the manual for the theory and the PROJECT > CONTROL > MEMORY menu (pages 39-40 of the manual) for the settings.

Set RLEN to MAX and set SRC3 to MAIN (page 51 of the manual).

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. But I dont think that would be enough time anyways, since one singe recording buffer is 16 seconds.
My thought was if it maybe was possible to record directly to the CF card.
But I guess that wont be possible…?

You can use a flex recording machine to internally record all the audio that comes from the main outputs. When you assign a recording machine to a track, go into its settings and assign “SRC3” to main. It is not wise to do this to try and record your final song.

If you’re asking because you don’t have an audio interface to record your jams, just buy one. I recommend a Scarlett 2i2 if you just need a cheap one.

1 Like

You can assign all the RAM to record into memory. So that’s probably around 5/6mins (can’t remember offhand). But things to remember would be that any flex samples currently loaded into RAM will affect the total time (so a set using only Static samples would help to maximise the time available.

Recording to the CF Card directly would be great though. Wish you could do that quite simply - sometimes you want to just capture a bunch of audio for editing without having to mess around with freeing up RAM memory.

Elektron?

1 Like

On this topic, how can you clear the internal REC memory of the Octatrack? Diving into the sampling end and have run into this issue…

Not by my machine but maybe go to the R1 - R8 buffers and FUNC + STOP/CLEAR to delete the contents?

Also removing audio with the same method from Flex Slot List also frees up RAM.

Are you saying you want to get rid of recording buffers to save memory ?
p.39
Access to the Project Menu (Fn+Mixer)
Then set the “reserve recordings” parameter to the lowest.
CONTROL > MEMORY > RESERVE RECORDINGS
You may keep one or two, in case it’s needed :slight_smile:

You can also play with RESERVE LENGTH.
Or just set this so that the recording uses directly FLEX memory.

Set the Dynamic Recorder to YES. Don’t load any samples to Flex machines as that will take up recording memory. You should have about 6 minutes of recording time to one Record buffer.

Following everyone else’s instructions to set all that up. An you’re off and running. I record to the OT all the time. I didn’t have an audio interface for a long time.

You get what you hear! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Recording directly to the CF card should be considered as some sort of consolation prize for the Octatrack when the rest of the dark boxes get Overbridge. :wink:

2 Likes

With all the RAM free you have over 8 minutes of recording time in 16-bit. I do this quite often; record a jam, copy the recording to a Static slot and clear the buffer, play it back while recording another track, repeat.

6 Likes

It’s funny to see someone like this comment today. It’s kind of bogus. There’s still of course memory limitations with trying to capture a long performance. But nowadays I see the Octatrack as literally a DAW with the audio interface included!

1 Like

If you use static slots for all your samples then using a single record buffer with the memory maxed out can work to capture a whole song/performance/jam, however there are some caveats with using statics for all your samples:

1. They don’t have the same flexibility as flex slots (pun intended)
  2. Under some conditions with the current OS slices can click on statics, not good if using chains or sliced samples.

Other than this it can be done quite well, but takes a bit of pre planning, of course if you don’t need all the memory allocation for your recording then use flex slots and pick ups where needed.

3 Likes

Is this still a thing, or has this been addressed?

It’s due to the fact that a Static machine streams audio from the CF card. That’s slower than playback from RAM, which is what a Flex machine does.

Somewhat redundant post, but the “I use a flex machine to record” meme is rampant and needs innoculation.

There are no “flex recording machines”. There are Track Recorders and Flex/Static Machines. Like @PeterHanes said, the Recorders record, the Machines play back.