Recording AR+A4 in Logic X. Midi record/play problem

Hi,
I just registered here today, but have been lurking for a short while as I am a new owner of both the Analog Rytm and Four.

Yesterday I was going to record my AR and A4 in Logic X and I ran into a weird problem.
I am recording the outputs separately to my interface, and I run one USB-cable from my computer to the AR for midi clock and transport sends.
AR midi out/thru is connected to midi in on my A4 with a regular midi cable.
I can press play in Logic and it’ll make both the AR and A4 start playing at the same time - however, when I hit record it only starts playing the AR, and the A4 doesn’t seem to receive any message to start.
This was pretty annoying, as it forced me to hook up the A4 with a separate USB cable so I could send midi signals to both my units from my computer.

Does anyone have any idea on what I might be doing wrong here? I just figured it’d work since just hitting play in Logic worked the way I wanted it to.

Apologies if anything is unclear. I type as I think it in my head :slight_smile:

you can use one USB cable and one MIDI cable connected to MIDI-THRU port of the unit which receives USB data

Not sure if it was clear (I guess not), but that’s exactly how I had everything hooked up.
USB->AR->AR MIDI Thru -> A4 MIDI In
If I press play in logic, both units play. If I press record in logic only the AR plays.

I don’t know if I posted this is the wrong area or something, but I guess I will bump again.
Since my problem was part software, and part AR+A4 I didn’t really see where else this would fit :slight_smile:

I don’t own either the AF or the AR, so I am just guessing and bumping the thread so that someone knowledgeable will answer.

Does the AR actually re-transmit MIDI received over USB through its MIDI Out port?

Yes it does send midi through the thru port when it gets midi from the USB.
I don’t mean this in an angry way and I realise people don’t read through all of the posts, and I appreciate everyone trying to help, but I mentioned in 2 posts that pressing Play in Logic sends play to both AR+A4, so both the units start playing in sync.
However…when I press Record instead of Play in Logic, only the AR starts playing.

tl;dr
Connection: Mac -> USB -> AR -> MIDI cable (via thru) -> A4 (midi in)
Pressing Play in Logic X makes both the AR and A4 start playing
Pressing Record in Logic X will only make AR play. The A4 does not respond at all.

did you try A4 via usb first and A4 Sync Out to the AR?
I synced my machine drum this way to A4 and Logic.

Hi Insect
We just bought analog4 and heat and connect it on logic pro so we follow the process and just did the whole thing and what happened is that : my 4 aux channels are playing perfectly and recording onto each audio as it should BUT!
it works only like that: i edit the sound and notes of the aux 1 but it plays only when it’s on the empty channel. i edit sounds and notes of the aux 2 but it plays only when it’s on the aux 1 channel. and so on, it’s weird! can’t seem to find why, if you have any idea…thank you!