Recording analog four

I’m currently having great fun playing my machinedrum through my analog four. I have the output of my analog four hooked up to my monitors. What I’d like to do now is record my jams. What are my options?

Thanks

i have an external usb sound card, and on my pc is ableton.

i record into ableton what comes out of my a4, hence i dont plug it directly into the speakers but into a interface in between … what other gear do you have?

I have a mbp running ableton live and an apogee one interface. I want to stay away from the laptop though - just turning it on sucks my creativity! I’m trying to build a small, computer free rig. I was thinking about getting a small mixer so that I could run this into my monitors and another out into some kind of recording device. I want to keep it as small and simple as possible though.

I have the “focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp” external soundcard. This one is relatively cheap and sounds very good.

http://www.thomann.de/de/focusrite_saffire_pro_24_dsp.htm

My A4 trough this soundcard sounds like this, no other external hardware or software manipulation!!! Download it in “wav” for a better sound :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/floppydisk-pirates/ace-analog-four-pattern

take care,

Janosch

1 Like

I record everything via mixer->audio interface (focusrite scarlett)->mba (with ableton) but I only use outboard gear for fx. The only signal processing I do in the box is some EQ:ing and compression. I often send it out of the soundcard for further outboard processing and sometimes onto cassette and back in the soundcard for sound “refinement”. So the computer is basically a glorified tape machine.

When I don’t want to use the computer I plug my cassette deck into tape out on my mixer and record straight to cassette and then later plug the tape deck into my soundcard and record it into the computer.

One option for you would of course be to get like a Zoom portable recorder with at least stereo input and plug it straight to the desk.

Edit: It should be noted that I want that kind of grit that tape decks and cheap vintage outboard gives me. If I wanted a more “professional studio sound” I’d buy a more expensive mixing desk and a fostex tape recorder.

I recently picked up a Zoom R16 multitrack, and that’s working really well for me because it functions as both a standalone 16-track (8-in) recorder and an 8-in PC audio interface. With my A4 and Octatrack I like to stay away from the PC, and the Zoom lets me do that, but I can deploy it as a soundcard if I want to combine my hardware with Live, for example.

If you can wait for Overbridge, you should be able to route your MD into your A4 and then record your A4 directly via USB as separate tracks. Of course that’ll require the PC, but you could just use it as a straight recorder rather than syncing it up etc.

Thanks guys, some really useful information here.

Can anybody recommend a small mixer? I don’t need a huge amount of channels obviously. Also, most of the mixers I’ve looked at seem to use a single xlr input on the channels. Does that work with my gear? (Do I just use a cable that combines the trs outputs from the A4 to an xlr jack, or do I need to use trs inputs to the mixer?).

Working with hardware only is a lot more complex than making computer music, but definitely worth it!

No specific recommendations, but I don’t think you need to spend a lot. Sounds like you don’t need USB, just an analog mixer. For the A4, all you need is one stereo channel (or two mono channels). If you want to combine other instruments, factor that in, too. Always get a few more channels than you think you need though so it’s not obsolete too soon.

The stereo channel on a mixer might be two 1/4" inputs, or a single stereo 1/4" input. It’s best to find one with separate balanced 1/4" TRS inputs since the A4 supports that (it reduces noise especially over a long cable length). In that case you’ll need 2x 1/4" TRS cables (the kind with two black stripes). The single XLR inputs are usually mic preamps.

Also look for something with separate outputs for monitoring and recording. Usually there are main outputs you could run to a Zoom (or tape or whatever), and then separate outputs you can connect studio monitors too, and then also a headphone jack.

You could grab a small mixer with a two-channel class-compliant USB interface built-in. This will allow you to record the final mix directly to a computer, but also to an iPhone or iPad.

Take a look at the XENYX Q1002USB, for example. It has four stereo input channels with separate L and R jacks so you don’t need any fancy Y-cables, it’s tiny, has a decent headphone amp, and an USB interface built-in.

Nobody can really tell you what you need. You should read about mixers and recorders (and their connectors, check spec sheets) then decide what you need. You might want more channels in the future.

Mixer w usb
Mixer with flash storage
Stereo mini recorder

I would go with the Zoom R16 as mentioned. It is the mixer and can record without a computer. There might be something smaller out there I’m not sure.

I think you’re right, the Zoom does look like it will give me what I need.

Quick follow up question then - what cables do I use to connect the A4 and machinedrum to the zoom? They have a pair of TRS outs and the zoom has XLR-1/4’'Phone Combo Jack inputs?

The outputs and inputs will be 1/4’’ cables. You can connect your A4 into a mixer channel using 1/4’’ cables. If you are in the US I would use Music Go Round or GC online used for a cheap mixer. You can’t beat Mackie for a good cheap/$$ mixer.

So is it better to use 1 channel for the 2 outputs (L&R) from the A4 or use 2 channels and keep them separate?

maybe that will help : Mixer - yet another question

With the Zoom you can use standard 1/4" leads for the connections, though the R16 will also accept XLR on all inputs.

Probably best to follow the standard 2 channel, 2 lead stereo connection to two inputs on the Zoom, because of the effects - you could in theory use the outputs as two mono channels for separate processing, but if you’re using the A4’s internal FX that’s not going to work out well.

One caveat of the Zoom: you won’t get any dedicated mixer controls beyond the level faders and the gain knobs. So you won’t be doing any live mixer action like tweaking effects sends or EQ on the fly - you can do both those things on the Zoom, but only by navigating to the appropriate menu and using the jogwheel. It’s easy to do, but a dedicated mixer is far more flexible in this regard. But if you’re doing most of your processing on the A4 itself, that’s not so bad.

Also if you’re using the Zoom as a USB interface you can of course apply effects in your DAW (and assign the R16 faders as MIDI controllers).

With the MD and the A4 you could in theory use up all the Zoom inputs - stereo outs for both machines, and then the four individual outs for the MD. That’d give you a lot of processing flexibility while recording and afterwards

You can record your sound output direct into a field recorder like Zoom H2 or a hard disk recorder like portastudio. Or look for an external smal mixer with addional recording capabilities.

I am trying also to do the same…

1.- Connecting the MIDI out of your Focusrite to the MIDI in on Elektron Analog Four

2.- Connecting the audio out of the hardware device to the input on your audio interface switched to Inst.

3.- Connecting the MIDI sync. out A of Elektron Analog Four to the MIDI in port on Focusrite Scarlett 2I4

I can hear the syhtn, control, play MIDI notes, I see on the external ins. plugin the green leds of the volume flashing, but not on the MIDI external ins. track…