Recording advise

Hello,
I’ve only been doing this just over the year, but I have a Digitone and Digitakt and I also run my Typhon Dreadbox via the Digitone and everything routes out via the Digitakt where I have my headphones plugged in. It’s a nice small (DAWless) setup which I love.

I’ve recently tried to record my tunes via USB from the Digitakt to my laptop using Overbridge and this is where it goes wrong I think. I record the wav file and like many experience the audio levels are low so I use something called Audacity to increase the volume and once done the quality seems not as good as what I hear direct from the Digitakt.

I was thinking of buying a dedicated device to plug into the audio outputs of the Digitakt and record instead. I see many use a Zoom H device or similar to record then move that wav file into their DAW to master.

Any device or recommendations would be really appreciated

Previously…

2 Likes

Before you buy a field recorder, I would further explore what you have now.

Your Digitakt can act as an audio interface for your laptop, so you can play back the Overbridge recorded files through the Digitakt how you’ve been used to hearing it.

If I remember correctly, if you record the main stereo monitor outputs of the Digitakt in Overbridge, that stereo file is louder than the individual track levels, which I think are reduced in volume for ‘safety’.
But, these are easy to boost and should not sound different.

I don’t know audacity, but there’s an entry level version of Ableton Live that will handle this side of it.
But unless you are wanting to remix the individual tracks, you’re probably better just recording the main monitor outs.

Either way, you probably don’t need a field recorder, but they are convenient, esp when you have more devices and a mixer.

1 Like

Are you multi-tracking via Overbridge or just capturing the master? Shouldn’t sound any different on the master and you can safely boost the audio by many decibels without any practical loss in dynamics, as it’s 24bit.

Having a field recorder can be a nice simple approach if you’re not really a computer person, or if you don’t want to be tied to your computer whilst working.

All of the budget recorders will be fine, will be easiest to go for one with 1/4" inputs, getting one that can support 4 inputs gives you a bit more scope but with your setup you might want to focus on a master (havibng the DN run through the DT compressor, with the Typhon into the DN… in fact did we discuss this recently in another thread?).

I’ve never heard any complaints about the ADC’s they use, and as you’re not using the preamps there’s not a great deal to worry about quality-wise.

I have a Zoom H5 btw and although it’s not my main method of recording I’ve used it for that and it seems to handle it fine! You gain a field recorder to create samples with too, bonus!

1 Like

You can also select the Digitakt as an input device in the settings of Ableton/Logic/other DAW.

This will give you much higher input levels. Overbridge’s levels are deliberately low, as you’ll see if you search the forums. Lots of complaints on that one!

Great reply thanks!

Well we may of spoken before my friend. I’m just looking for a easy way to record this setup, I’ll be adding a Syntakt and Microcosm at some point soon, so I’ll be asking for setup routing help hint hint wink wink…

I see some use Overbridge as an audio Interface to record the master into Ableton Live Lite which I have, but don’t know how to set that up to record. I’ve also seen some use a field recorder like a Zoom to record them grab the wav file and copy into their DAW to process.

One option I saw that was nice was usual a hardware audio interface like the Motu M2 and then into the computer to record in Ableton, what do you think?

Oh what are ADC’s and how do I know if I’m using preamps?

Thanks for all you help and time!

1 Like

So I can use the Digitakt as the audio interface and then increase the gain/volume in Ableton to record?

I guess I need to search on how to set that up as a master to record from then.

ADC = Analog-to-digital converter

When going the other way you get DAC’s - it’s mostly about bitrate but sometimes these can impart some character, but rarely intentionally. Often more expensive gear will have better quality converters. Unless you care about high bitrates etc. I wouldn’t personally get too caught up in this.

Pre-amps are used with anything that needs to be amplified - Mic’s, Turntables… I can’t think of anything else. But they’re adding gain and so can impart character more easily, whether intentionally or not. Same story, often better gear has more expensive pre-amps.

This is very straight forward - I’d suggest finding any walkthrough or tutorial that covers recording from an audio interface which will do a better job than me - but you’re only a few clicks away. As long as you already have overbridge set up and can select the source (sounds like you can) - basically select the source on the track, ‘arm’ the track for recording, and hit the record button.

You don’t need a separate recorder. This will not improve things as recording via Overbridge is as pure as it can get :slight_smile:

Best is to record into your DAW. Making sure the record bitdepth of your DAW is set to 24bit at least. After recording you can just boost the level of the recorded channels (or main channel if you just record a stereo file) using normalization, a utility plugin, and/or apply some limiting.

The 24 bit recording is essential here as it makes sure that the noise floor of the recorded file is so low that boosting levels even with something extreme as 30db will have no influence over the recording quality.

TL:DR: if the quality is worse after boosting the levels you are probably recording at 16bit and/or clipping something when boosting the levels.

6 Likes

So 24 bit recording will be a setting in Albleton or Audacity and not set from the DT sending end?

Love your tune and tutorials btw.

1 Like

Yes it’s a setting in your DAW :slight_smile:

After recording use ‘normalize’ to make the recording 0db without clipping. If you can however normalize it to -1db, or after normalizing, lower the level by -1db manually. Then export and listen. It should sound good. If it’s really sounding that much worse still then something else is going on

And thanks!

On settings menu, audio routing, you have an option to set USB to main amplification in 6 or 12 db I think not sure now. The advantage of having a field recorder is that you can record without having to have a computer.

Thanks, I was playing with the compressor on the DT tonight to increase the output volume, but I end up with that background noise as if the speakers are too loud. It records loud now but way to much ‘hiss’ in the background.

This is coming from the Digitone though it seems. When I turn the volume down on that it goes. Any ideas?

Well certainly don’t use the compressor to boost levels :slight_smile: you’re also boosting the noise that way if the noise happens before that stage so that doesn’t solve anything.

It could be various different things. Hard to pin point. But as I explained it’s not a problem that the volume seems to be low when recording into your daw. At how much db does it record? If it’s -12 db or even -24 it should not be an issue as long as you record at 24 bit.

A hissing sound seems to be a different issue.

Can you explain exactly how you have things connected and what it is that you record in audacity (separate channels or just 1 stereo file?) Is digitone connected to Digitakt? Etc

1 Like

Ok if I send over a diagram of my setup and screenshots of my settings tomorrow? I’m sure you will spot all my mistakes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right here is my setup.

As mentioned I have Ableton Live Lite (8 channels) that I think I’d like to use to record if possible.

Digitone

Digitakt

If I increase the L & R values of 32 any higher I hear the low level noise from the Digitone, that sort of sound that you hear when you turn up speakers and you know they are too loud before playing anything.

How do you record your stuff?

I’ve thinking of trying Overbridge/Ableton Live Lite again and see if I can just record the master and get the track levels sorted on the DN/DT (source) first.

I have a mixer with a soundcard, but I just capture the master off of that - in your situation I’d probably use overbridge just to grab the master off the DT - if I needed to add a couple more synths I’d be tempted to get a standard mixer and run that into the DT compressor, so still just capture the master off the DT.

That’s just me though :slight_smile:

Mixer and a sound card in one, nice, which device is that?

Nice idea too if I get a mixer. So many options.

I want to get a good effects pedal at some point too as I like ambient music, so I need to make sure I buy right if I have to buy at all.

1 Like

I use an Allen & Heath XONE:PX5 - DJ mixers are bit more expensive - I recommend them but only if it supports your workflow - but you can get things like the Tascam Model 12, Mackie Onyx etc for around the £500 mark. If you want both an interface and a mixer it can be an affordable route!