Recording a Midi Sequence into DAW

Hang in there. Pattern transfer might become available in one form or another, in an upcoming overbridge update.

There is a work around that is much faster than it will first seem. It requires melodyne or something similar that can read note data from audio.

Make a copy of the project or song or pattern etc. because you will be changing the sounds for each pad to synth note values x 16 pads. Then play the audio and record the synth notes to the daw into melodyne, it will recognize the note and recreate midi data back from the audio you recorded, then just drop in a drum pad vst and assign to a kit.

If you want your Rytm kit than record your individual samples for the kit into audacity, all pads 1 shots into one long audio file.

Audacity has a great function that will take the audio with all 16 samples and slice it to individual samples files that you can assign to the daw drum pad and your done.

It takes less than 10 min to do, and if it means enough to you is worth the time.

1 Like

Have never tried it, but Ableton has an audio to midi function, might be a solution

I think so, another easy way to get midi that I am using recently in studio one is to route audio from the overbridge outputs to audio 8 individual audio tracks. Then arm the audio tracks to record the output to get all separate stems at once, which most software can detect the midi data from individual stems without the need for melodyne so pretty simple at getting midi events from those plus you get individual stems in audio to mangle at the same time.

Hope this helps others.

You might think so, but what this audio slice to MIDI function does is take a pre-existing audio track, lay each subsequent slice of audio across a MIDI keyboard in ascending fashion as a new clip - when you play the new sliced clip the piano roll just goes up like “/”.

It’s a very handy tool but I’m not sure one that addresses the issue of not being able to record the MIDI of a sequence from the Overbridge boxes at all.

You could do it in FLStudio using Newtone and the dump audio to piano roll function. That’s what we do when we make dope melodies and want the MIDI>

1 Like

No, thats not what I meant.
Ableton Live has Audio to Midi conversion with maybe 3 different settings.
You can feed it audio, like melodies and bass lines, and it will create a midi clip that is pitched in the piano roll.

2 Likes

I stand corrected! I see what you mean. I haven’t tried that out, but it may be an option.

1 Like

That Audio to Midi conversion in Ableton is pretty handy for e.g. basic 4/4 drum patterns, but it fails big time when it comes to “complex” melodies, fast trigs etc.
I bought an Ableton Push a few days ago in hope of helping me to arrange my live sets into finalised tracks, and I know I could record them multitrack via overbridge, but I want to work with midi - to make endless variations, automations, etc.
Isn’t there a way to export somehow Rytm patterns into basic midi files? :sad:

1 Like

I have done this as well, also even if you do not have Newtone in FL, you can send the audio into slicex, then using the wrench icon in slicex select “Convert to score and send to piano roll”.

It does a pretty good job and Slicex is stock in FL, probably can even use it on the demo, then just export your midi to a file for your main daw.

Does that give pitch, as well?

Yes

Is recording a sequence / pattern posible in the MKII version?

No

Darn!

Have you found a good workflow for this by now? or is @dirtyprlck his solution/workaround using melodyne still the only/best one?

I would like to make my basic patterns on my RYTM MKII, record midi to my DAW (logic), this would allow me to tweak things, and incorporate fills live (using midi, and an electronic drumkit I have) and then be able to send it back to the RYTM (to get the great sounds). What would be the best method for this guys?

I could also just record the sounds from my RYTM and load them into a sampler (like EXS24) but this seems a bit like a hassle and kinda makes having an analog rytm overkill haha. Will the anticipated overbridge perhaps make things easier in the future?

Any help is appreciated!

Could be interesting to have a whole midi daw project being read by the RYTM which we could edit automation etc. You could maybe also feed the midi daw project a different kit and see what happens :slight_smile: But i guess for now we still have to keep working in recorded audio files.

Hey guys,

I´ve been using overbridge with Ableton for the past years and apart from several small issues I find it very useful and faster for sound design, adding samples, using separate audio tracks and working with a big screen instead the AR MK1 one.

But my question is regarding to the AR sequencer that is one of the most powerful and funniest things of the AR, am I missing some of the magic of the AR working this way? How do you usually work in the studio with the AR?

Do you usually create a sequence in the Rytm and trigger it from Ableton as a master clock? I usually send a midi sequence from Ableton and then I record the audio in separate tracks so I mainly use the Ar as a as a sound source. I find it easier and faster but as I said I feel I´m missing something…

It would be great to hear how you start a track from scratch…

I start entirely external building up a complete pattern that sounds good and also getting a feel for which parameters are fun to play with.

Then one by one I feed my tracks into the DAW (Ableton master clock) creating extended versions where I play with the fun parameters I found earlier.

From there it’s time to get the digital scissors out.

does the rytm send midi through usb? to like control my daw?