Recorder trig length?

I’ve got an OT on the way (delivery early next week)

I’ve been reading the manual, and watching videos, and reading up here to get acclimated.

I have a question I can’t find the answer to.

When I first saw the concept of “recorder trigs” I got excited, because it would be so cool to sample at intervals. However, I may have misunderstood the concept, and I’m now thinking they just start recording and don’t have a duration / length.

Can several recorder trigs be used on a track to sample in a rhymic pattern? Can you set RLEN as a p-lock on recorder trigs?

Best regards,

Gino

No, but you have three trig modes, one, one2 and hold.
In hold mode, OT samples as long as the button is pressed.

IIRC with midi loopback and hold mode it’s possible to control sampling length directly via midi trigs (trig length=sampling length).
C#4 (midi note 61) = INAB Rec
D4 (midi note 62) = INCD Rec
D#4 (midi note 63) = SRC3 Rec

Use these notes to start sampling via midi loopback, again, in hold mode trig length is sampling length.
Midi loopback also brings trig conditions into sampling.
I’ve never tried it myself, but looks like this should work.

5 Likes

Cool, thanks!

Is midi loopback safe on the OT?

I know on the DT it works, but you have to be careful to not press stop twice.

1 Like

I’m not aware of any issues. I used midi loopback for lfo control of the crossfader (CC48) most of the time.

4 Likes

I experimented it a lot, AKAIK it’s totally safe as long as you use midi tracks channels corresponding to audio tracks channels.
Why?

If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from receiving data

I encourage everyone to try it, new project, set a midi track to control audio track 1 on channel 1, notes C5-C7. Set corresponding CCS.
If you set all audio tracks on the same channel > Control All.

Some caveats plocking midi notes, sometimes you have to stop the sequencer to avoid plocks generated by loopback when you hold a trig (midi mode or audio mode). Should be optional imho.

I don’t remember why / how I had bugs / freezes, but I tried to control a midi track’s parameters with another midi track sending Auto Channel, so it was controlling itself, I let you imagine the nightmare to setup! :scream:

I remember having bug trying to control external gear with midi Thru (sending back midi IN). I didn’t insisted to understand the reasons, find the limits.

In not 100% sure in Follow TM mode for control in midi mode (midi control not effective unless you go back to audio mode).

Didn’t they solved that?

3 Likes

I’m seriously thinking about soldering a switch for midi loopback. :crazy_face:

Or make a special midi plug à la @WeirdFishes :wink:

2 Likes

Special midi plug?

Same for midi. It was a photo montage.

2 Likes

Easy to build a little box, would be pretty handy.

Better yet feature request, no hardware needed :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Would you? :content:
A switch on it, and inputs…

Anyway I planned to mod my OT with switches (Function, Yes, Scenes A/B) and control inputs (Rec buttons, all trigs?). :crazy_face:

A way to make function toggle instead of momentary is still my #1 feature request, even more so since getting an 8bit Warps (which has that exact feature). I don’t know why I didn’t think of just adding a switch, and I’m not sure I will even though it would be pretty straightforward

1 Like