Recorder buffers for looping and live sampling

The main play button. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
After you stopped. :content:

1 Like

And 8 headache tablets :joy:

2 Likes

Well, I was totally accustomed to PUMā€™s not starting when I press the main play button, but I left my equipment on overnight and today, the PUMā€™s DID start when I pressed the main play button. I captured it on video (attached), because I was almost sure that after a restart the situation would return to ā€œnormalā€ (PUMā€™s not starting) and indeed! it did! I have no clue what that was. Is there a secret key-combination that got reset when I rebooted? Anyone?

You can connect or disconnect them to transport using PU track button and tempo button.

6 Likes

Thanks! Another mystery solved. Itā€™s not in the Key-combinations list in the user manual.

Yep, thanks didnā€™t know sync was changing play behavior. Something to try tonight!

SEQUENCER TO PICKUP SYNC The Octatrack sequencer can be tempo synchronized to a Pickup machine recording. This is useful if you want to mix pre-progammed tracks with Pickup machine loops and donā€™t want the sync of the sequencer to drift.

Press [TRACK] + [TEMPO] to sync the sequencer to a Pickup machine loop. The BPM value normally shown in the top left corner of the LCD will at the same time be replaced with information about which Pickup machine that is controlling the sequencer BPM. To see the tempo of the loop the sequencer is locked to, open the TEMPO window.
If Pickup sync is activated when the sequencer is stopped and Pickup machines are playing loops, pressing [PLAY] will make the sequencer start playing the next time the synced Pickup machine loop starts over. If no Pickup machine is playing, the sequencer will start playing immediately when [PLAY] is pressed.

Here is a more exhaustive list. :wink:
ot-buttons-478140.pdf (299.6 KB)

5 Likes

Yes! Iā€™ve tried it and it works. And if the sequencer is sync with the PU you have two options: All track stopped, press Play will start all toghether, or you can press Track (of the PU) + play and start playing the PU loop, then press play and the sequencer start playing the next time the synced Pickup machine loop.

2 Likes

Ooo Yes! Apologies for my ignorance, here I found how to send PC to control Patterns and be able to use Flex as PUM with two patterns:

:loopy: :wink:

1 Like

Ok so this plays 1 PUM only when you press main PLAY (canā€™t start several PUM at the same time), and it locks the tempo. Canā€™t stand it. I defenitely prefer Flex and Iā€™d rather buy another looper than use Pickups. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

One way you can start all PU and tracks at the same time is to hold all track buttons whilst pressing play, it is how the Octatrack got its name because you might need a :octopus: to help :rofl:

5 Likes

Itā€™s an analogy used in the manual of my new Hx Stomp. I already have 8 octopuses! :wink:

1 Like

OctaOcto :wink:

I guess you could use midi to launch all pickups at same time if you didnā€™t have an Octopus on hand.

1 Like

I wonder why after so many years of complaints about the PUMā€™s, Elektron does not even bother to fix it.

There are basically 2 things that should be retouched in order to convert the OT into a perfect looper: 1- The ability to turn off the master / slave relationship between pickup machines (and thus the automatic tempo changing that goes along with it) . And 2- The ability to turn timestretching off.

Thatā€™s it, Elektronā€¦

*Sorry for my english.

Iā€™m probably wrong, but if you turn de sequencer sync with your PUM, PUM isnā€™t have timestretching.

Although it is true that the PUM can be improved a lot.

I think if they could be set to follow transport or play free per track it would be more consistent with other machine types, also the ability to record with pitch and the ability to P-Lock them would be on my list.

As they are at present I think for most looping duties flex machines are superior in almost every way. For experimenting they can be quite useful, but as I said before often after using them I load the captured audio into a flex slot, because it is moe flexible :rofl:

1 Like

In that case, as far as I understand, tempo is locked to synced PUM loop. No tempo change, hence no timestretch for that PUM.

I wonder if this can be used to have more precise tempo, like 103.125* instead of 103.1 or 103.2, loading a sample at the right tempo in the PUM.
*Tempo ā€œtunedā€ to A440 Hz

1 Like

When you open the tempo menu while in p sync mode, we still see the available modifier icons (encoder, arrowsā€¦) . I tried several key-combinations in an attempt to modify the tempo while in p-sync to no avail. Technically it should be possible, a question of modifying the rate + TS compensation of the PUMā€™s. Is this another hidden key-combination I missed or is it just a display bug?

Maybe in the audio editor of the PUM itā€™s possible to change the BMP of the captured sample (page Attributes), I havenā€™t tried it yet.
But, I think that if you want to mangle or work more in deep with the PUM sample the way is a Flex Track.

I contemplate the PUM, within its limitations as a looper, when I want the sequencer follow my loop, then I sync the sequencer to the PUM, not timestreching, and that the rest of the tracks go in time with my loop.

If I turn the sequencer as master BMP, I use PUM, but I try to rec the loops in the PUM adjusting me to the tempo of the sequencer (1x, 2xā€¦), so that the minimum timestreching is applied to my loop, althought grateful that the loop is timestreching to the tempo, otherwise it would not sound in time.

Exist other reasons in which I use the PUM sometimes, in experimental waysā€¦, although yes, it is true that it is limited.

2 Likes

I just set Qrec and QPL to PLEN and I donā€™t have to worry about timing or time-stretching.

2 Likes

Main advantage of Pickups with easy overdub (OT master clock).

Thatā€™s what I was going to say. :wink: