Record M:S MIDI into Ableton

Don’t use a lot of DAW so apologies in advance if this is a simple solution or has been covered before

Having difficulty with Midi In/Out of Ableton for the Model: Samples, and of course can’t tell if it’s my end of Ableton or a setting on the MS.

Would simply like to play a pattern on the MS and have Ableton read and record all of the MIDI notes so they can be tweaked, copied, edited, and manipulated in the DAW, etc.

I seem to be able to have the MS controlled from Ableton, so I can use a keyboard/mouse and trigger the MS to play sounds, start patterns, and do what I want from Ableton —> MS

Can’t seem to get Ableton to pick up midi notes from the MS. Can pick up audio just fine.

I have other exterior hardware (a synth) working with ableton and midi/audio going back and forth no problem.

Help me Obi-Elektron-Kenobi, you’re my only hope

I don’t have an m:s but I would assume it functions like all the othe elektron boxes in that the audio sequencer does not output midi data from its sequences.

2 Likes

Another silly question, but why would this not be a thing? Aren’t there thousands of people who want to hook up these boxes to a DAW or something to output their sequences?

It’s something like, The internal audio sequence doesn’t run on midi but elektrons own protocol so technically there is no midi data to spit out.

1 Like

Well that is depressing, I was really liking the feel of sequencing on this thing and wanted to be able to fine tune a bit more on a big monitor :frowning:

Looks like you can go into the menu for each of the 6 tracks individually and select output to midi and pick the starting note, so this might work. T1 on C5 T2 on D5, whatever you wish to use. Seems awfully labor intensive to have to go to each of the 6 tracks and then pick midi notes that are far enough apart to catch them all if you have anything chromatic going on. Hmmm.

2 Likes

Hi! Did this approach worked out for you?
I’m having the same issue, I thought it wouldn’t be so hard to al least record the midi info from the sequencer as you can’t multitrack record the audio thru overbridge.

By my understanding, you can set each track to a different midi channel, then select midi out (MOut) for each track in turn. Then in Ableton, have six midi tracks listening to each of the midi channels you’ve set. You’ll then get all the note, velocity, and length settings for each event over USB. Alternatively a midi cable from your Model to a soundcard with midi in will do the same trick.

1 Like

Wondering if anyone’s had success in doing this. I so far have not been able to get midi patterns from each track into a MIDI track in Ableton… would that mean I’d have to record each track as audio if I want to re-arrange them in the DAW? Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Wow! I’ll try that! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I do this a a bit in Ableton in both directions with MIDI. Set input on the track to model:samples & track 1 to channel 1, and so on up to six. Then after making sure each track has midi out set just record the MIDI into a clip in ableton. It’s useful if you want to edit the MIDI in the many ways you can do that in the DAW. You can send the MIDI back in or just sequence the track from Ableton directly. I mostly use it external sequencing of synths from M:S through Ableton.
Lately I’ve also found it useful to run a MIDI sequence into an M:S track from the monosequencer say & then edit further inside the M:S.