Recommend me an FM synth

So are you saying using the iPad is off the table? I read through here but I’m not entirely sure if you’re dead pan on avoiding using the iPad, or if it’s an option. I think both KQ Dixie and BramBos PhaseMaker can load DX7 sysex data (KQ definitely can, unsure about PhaseMaker).

Hardware wise, sorry, I know nothing in this area haha.

Quick edit: Also, if you’re worried about the future of the project and investing in hardware you might not use later, it might be better to just try this out with the iPad first…

2 Likes

Yamaha TX7?

Yamaha MU-100 or similar with PLG-100DX board?

Starting out I will be using the iPad, yeah. I just hate using a touch screen, so looking for affordable options to have a real FM synth.

1 Like

For the budget, it’s hard to beat the PreenFM2. 8 voice 6op FM. Sounds great. Super small, can fit on top of whatever keyboard you use. Not the easiest to program, but by FM standards it’s really not bad. And you can usually find them for under $200.

6 Likes

Preen has 8voices and 4 part multitimbral(2020 version).

It depends how good you are at programming.

1 Like

I hear ya. I flip flop between saying “iPad good, so much on there don’t need anything else” and “omg knobbbbbssssss and lights” lol…

Best of luck!! sounds like a fun project

1 Like

I struggle with FM synths. Not so much the concept or programming but finding the right one.

• DX7: great, the classic but too big by far
  • Volca FM: currently using this but limited patch memory/polyphony
  • Preen FM: have one, like it a lot but miss op feedback and DX7 crunch (EDIT, I have Preen FM2)
  • DX200: Had one previously but this was pre-Elektron gear so only used as a standalone box. Back then I knew even less than now what I was doing! Might be good to re-try
  • Software: don’t use it.

Much of the time I end up using FM samples in OT rather than an FM synth. Sometimes I think I should just bite the bullet and save up for an FS1R!

+1 for the Preen, either FM2 or FM3. FM3 has OP feedback on some algorithms: PreenFM3 has operator feedback?

In keeping with the DIY punk ethic, build your own.

It’s worth mentioning that both come pre-loaded with a bank of recreated DX7 patches and there are a few user banks of patches downloadable from the forum.

2 Likes

Digitone, Kodamo Essence, Korg Opsix?

Volca FM is fun, within your budget, and it loads DX7 patches.

1 Like

Probably it should be a Digitone of any of these, but my brain might boil if I add another Elektron box to my OT and Rytm :flushed: :flushed:
Will be interesting to see if a desktop opsix comes out…

1 Like

nope, not enough polyphony.

Well fine then, get two Volca FM’s and the Retrokits RK-002 cable to chain them and make it 6 voices. Still should be around your budget.

1 Like

or i could just pay the same for a different synth and save myself a lot of trouble.

1 Like

That’s true. So which one are you gonna get?

i would like an old yamaha, but the preen or a reface are cheaper and easier to get. we’ll see, i’ll see what pops up locally.

2 Likes

PreenFM2 or v3 come loaded with tons of options and sound good. The only downside is the menu diving.

I wonder why no one mentioned the Twisted Electron MegaFM so far…

2 Likes

Nope, the designers already made clear in an interview that those won’t come.

1 Like

Over budget and not particularly easy to get hold of.