Recommend Active Monitors

Ive real god things about the fluid fx8. They are pretty cheap. And with 8 inch woofers it should have some bass.

At this point, are the older (blue-face) Tannoy Active Reveals still usable? Obviously they work as speakers, but I’m wondering if, even with a 6.5" woofer, will they provide an accurate enough reference with electronic music?

In that price range I would look at JBL 305
They punch way higher than their price range

1 Like

£199.00
JBL305P MKII

£275.00
JBL 306P MKII

£409.00
JBL308P MKII

1 Like

…first…all sound has two basic components…the box/speaker…AND…the room they’re placed in…

…and second…a strict square shaped room is the worst square room sonicwise that exists…

and…puh…that’s quite some space to fill…12 on 12…hmmmm…dunno…

on a smaller budget…and for bigger envorments…i’d say this…

on a good budget…and my personal all time favourites…never have to think about near field again…this…

1 Like

The Behringers are definitely in my price range :slight_smile:

…i got both in use…and the behringers are way better then their repuitation…
got the behringers since more than a decade now…and end of the day, these are also copycats, behringers second name as always…these designs came originally from the bigger, old genelecs…
and they do what the do fine, whenever i need it just louder…

while the neumann are nothing but great under all circumstances and perfect tool for any sonic finetuning…and a refresh up/rebranding one on one from the famous broadcast speakers from klein&hummel…same old developer team…in daily use here since five years…

both pairs do a proper job here…still…

but with whatever u’ll end up with…place them away from the walls as much as possible…at least in an untreated, naked room…

and never forget…if u go cheap in first place, u’ll always end up more expensive…
if u get good solid quality right away, u automaticly skipped the first two tries u’d have on cheaper alternatives…
so go for really cheap or high end…nothing inbetween…

and if we’re talking speakers here…don’t start thinking about second hand…

You could go used

I recommend JBL 305.

1 Like

if its a small room and youre sitting in the very sweet spot, the ik multimedia iLoud mtm come in handy, because they deliver a (basic) room correction (and go down to 60 hz). but they are a bit above your budget (800 Euros a pair). for 300 pounds, you can afford a pair of KRK RP5 or Adam T5V.

Id recommend to save some extra money for a room correction processor like the dbx driverack PA2, because the room has much more impact on the sound than different brands of nearfield monitors. Or, if you wanna delete the room out of the equation, go for a pair of good Headphones (Sennheiser HD 600). cheers

I currently have these headphones. Been using the same brand since 2013 and they are great for me.

BEYERDYNAMIC DT990 PRO HEADPHONES - BLACK LIMITED EDITION

…nope…the tannoys are way more suitable for accoutic styles and can’t catch up with modern low ends at all…

the affordable focal s are sweetening up a lot…no big help if ur asking for kind of truu reference…they lie to u a bit…like headphones from beat dr dr dre…which is ok for consumer products…but not for serious tools…

Me too. They are simply great for a room of that small size. The 5" Behringer/Neumanns are too large imho.

1 Like

Basically all I want them for is jamming about with my hardware hence they don’t have to be expensive. I use headphones for sound design and anything else. Something with nice bottom end would be good as I’ll be doing house & techno type jams.
Great suggestions so far here thanks all :slight_smile:

1 Like

…then give the behringers a try…they’re cheap as fuk like nothing else out there…
and in fact do a great job if ur in for loud and low end…
and as mentioned…they still do fine after more than a decade here…

and don’t be irritated…the neumanns price is single price each…while the behringers are pair price…
so these are ridiculously cheap…
and if u need it boomy…place them closer to the wall and more into the edges of the room…there u go, low end…

1 Like

I was skeptical but Genelecs work very well. 8030 or if you can stretch to 8330 those do automatic room correction. You have a square room so you’ll have issues.

I find them pretty flat, actually. They have front facing bass ports which work quite well if you need to place them near a wall too

Hey @LyingDalai, I’d be interested in knowing more about the Focal Alpha 50. Particularly, I can see they don’t have volume control knob which is surprising.

I plan to use them with either my computer / sound card or directly with a DT / DN / OT setup without any mixer.

How do you handle volume ? Do Elektron machines have enough volume power on their own ?

Overall, how do you feel about them ?
Any insights appreciated.

I have a mixer that acts as a soundcard and it’s plugged permanently to my HP inputs.

Way I see this, monitors need to be in a constant state so that they react consistently.

Focal alpha 50 are powered, so no problem to handle OT outs, I guess. There’s an attenuators switch iirc. But you should be ok with dealing with OT out level in Mixer mode.

Anyway, you’d better get yourself a mixer, IMO, even a simple one. I have had one for ages, for studio (and now even for live), wouldn’t know how to make without now ^^
It’s really a very helpful tool once you have 3 machines, especially if it acts as a sound card and make it possible to record 3 stereo audio streams in parallel.

1 Like

JBL305. They are really good for the price. The stereo field is awesome.