Receiving Transport Messages or Notes? Is my OT broken? Wit's end

So very true … in most cases :+1:

I hope you get your replacement asap :smiley:

I’ve had an optoisolator go on a synth, and it was tricky to figure out because it still worked but only with certain gear, because it had to do with how clean the actual MIDI signal was. So output from a MIDIpal (even if it was just passing MIDI through without doing anything) would work fine but directly from other sources would do everything from not working at all up to working but retriggering or dropping notes or just having messed up velocity/aftertouch response. As far as I was able to figure out, it was static discharge from the foam insert in a new case directly into the MIDI DIN jack that did it.

But yeah, an optoisolator is definitely a possibility and it wouldn’t necessarily mean the MIDI input would fail completely.

If it’s a socketed chip it’s a really simple fix, and if it isn’t socketed then it should be! Not just because it makes it easier to replace but also because optoisolators are more sensitive to heat than a lot of ICs, so it’s better for their health to not solder them in. Usually they’re soldered, though.

Hopefully Elektron will tell the OP what they fix, I’d be curious to hear what went wrong.

1 Like

probably not so simple then :wink: … > (it’s the cream smd chip)

1 Like

That looks through-hole to me, it’s definitely a through hole part at any rate.Maybe see if they’re willing to socket it if it gets replaced, just in case it ever needs t be replaced again.

1 Like

Yep you have to be right, didn’t really think that one through (no pun intended) doh!, especially given its oldschool shape/size and the angles of pins etc, very neat and there’s tonnes of other through hole parts

at least it should be a relatively easy repair (if it is that) for a local electrical repair shop to do (or a rep at the retail store) … but op should quiz Elektron support first … finding the part may be more fun for someone though, I had a tough time finding particular optoisolators for a project

FYI to everyone who helped me: The OT went back to Elektron via Sweetwater Repair about 4 weeks ago. It should arrive back to me tomorrow, in time for the long weekend.

I’ll let everyone know the final results. In the meantime, i’m enjoying Loopmaster’s Black Friday Sale. I have 4 new GB of samples to try out.

3 Likes

And the denouement…
Everything is working. MIDI-In from a DAW and a keyboard. And transport too.

All in all, it took a month and Sweetwater handled it all. I don’t know what was done, but I’ll ask. Either they swapped the board or the component. But it works and I’m ready to rock. Thank you all for your help.

3 Likes

I didn’t think of it until far too late, but it would have been interesting to put a little pen mark on the board and another on the chip just to see if either was replaced.