Receiving MIDI program changes

Hi,

If the pattern lenght are identical on both Rytm and Digitakt… starts the next patern together at the same time ?

1 Like

I use the CH.LEN option on the DT to make sure it jumps to the given pattern/prog ch. immediately.

I’d love a direct jump feature like the AR has (which I don’t use since it has song mode).

1 Like

Been having this problem too. OT set as master but DT doesnt begin pattern chain till after first chain play through and even then, it starts on the wrong pattern.

1 Like

i owned an OT for a short bit, so i’m not totally sure, but i know that the OT has issues sending PC where it doesn’t do it until a certain time or something or other.

other than that, you may need to set the CH.LEN so that your DT patterns change quickly.

Tried that to no avail my friend… Thanks for the suggestion tho.

I was told by Elektron a few weeks back that they’re aware of the this problem with the Digitakt receiving PC and that it is a priority for them to fix for the next OS update.

5 Likes

Does anybody know if there is any progress on this issue?

The most recent firmware release (1.04) was in July. Elektron does not generally pre-announce firmware updates in public.

Definitely experiencing this too with Octatrack controlling pattern changes on the DT :disappointed:

Not sure if it would fit how you work but the elektron sync option is keeping my boxes in sync pattern wise. I’m running a monomachine and a digitakt.

Anyone figure this out yet? Are we all just waiting on the new OS update?

yes. the late pattern change/program change message is a bug. nothing to figure out till the next update to see if its fixed.

1 Like

Just a quick question i can’t seem to find a definite answer anywhere. Can I send pattern changes to the digitakt via midi notes (instead of pc) ? I read somewhere that C2 = A01 but that doesn’t seem to work.

Read the “MIDI Notes” section of the manual: MIDI Note messages can be used to trigger the DT’s sounds, but only MIDI Program Change messages can change the pattern.

The DT does not have the (Multi) Map feature provided by MD, MM, and AF/AK.

1 Like

I don’t use a DAW, I am hardware only. Hardware sequencers usually send program changes at the beginning of a pattern to tell other synths, drum machines and samplers which patch, kit or pattern to switch to for that current pattern. So if the Digitakt doesn’t switch pattern immediately when receiving the Program Change message and waits until the end of the current pattern has finished it will always be one pattern length behind the rest of your gear. There is no way in hardware to tell the Program Change to happen a pattern early. It needs to happen on the Digitakt instantly.

It’s a bug. Supposed to get fixed. Even when using Elektron sync across boxes if the digitakt is slaved the pattern will change late.

1 Like

It works (follows correctly with no 1 loop delay) on the Octatrack, it can work on the Digitakt too.

2 Likes

still have this problem with the RYTM as a master - even with OS 1.6 :face_vomiting: :angry:

Wow. The DT seems pretty lame. On the AR you have 3 different modes for pattern switching.

I really don’t get these inconsistencies between Elektron gear.

Is this possible to send program changes or something from a daw? I’d like to play around with arrangement and rather than queuing up pattern changes (its fun and spontaneous) I want to experiment with different arrangement sequences and orders.

I’ve got most of the midi worked out where I could use the daw to trigger each of the 8 audio tracks but then there would be no point in using the sequencer in box! Did some searching and not finding anything conclusive. Sorry if it’s been covered.