Rec trigs not making any sound

Hi, I’ve explained my problem in video form, any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like

Do you have track 6 playing back record buffer 6?
Edit - go into track 6 playback and ensure that record buffer 6 is selected.

1 Like

It’s working! Thanks! Do record buffers (RECORDING1, RECORDING2, etc) have to correspond to the track number, i.e. Track 6 must have RECORDING6 to work?

Any track can playback any record buffer, I think.

2 Likes

Then I still don’t understand why it wasn’t working when I was using RECORDING5…

Also, I’m now getting a pop at the beginning of the sample, any tips on how to avoid this?

Because you were recording into Buffer 6 - and you were playing back Buffer 5.

2 Likes

Yes, 2nd Rec setup page dial in minimal values for fade in/out

…just saw you did that already… maybe increase those values and try attack on Amp page?

Sorry, not quite understanding still, how was I recording into buffer 6? Is this because I was on Track 6?

No, watch your video. You can see there is written Buffer 5.

Ok, I think I might understand… So buffer 5 (RECORDING5) is not linked to the rec trig? The rec trig is linked to the track (6)?

This, as long as it is assigned any track can play back any buffer, you can even have say track 1 play back all the buffers each on a different step by holding a trig and using level knob to pick which buffer for that step, sample locks work with buffers.

Record buffer recording is 1:1 with the respective track, but playback of the recordings is not, they are freely assignable/lockable.

3 Likes

Record buffer recording is 1:1 with the respective track, but playback of the recordings is not, they are freely assignable/lockable.

Brill, I think that’s what was eluding me cheers!

No worries :wink:

Also bear in mind you could have all 8 buffers recording and no tracks playing them back, for example you could have samples assigned to tracks 1-8 and make a pattern using all 8 tracks, you could then assign each of the track recorders (free memory permitting) to record their respective track, without affecting playback of the assigned sample. Then you can save each of these recordings for later use, remix or whatever. Kind of like an export as stems idea.

4 Likes

Man, 1 year? I feel your pain. It took me a long time to get recording down. I would get it, by watching the video’s, then it wouldn’t work. Over and over, for a long time. So glad you made it through!
I am a very visual learner, so for people who might look this thread up, or even for the OP, I’ll tell you the way I think of recoding/sampling in the OT.
Imagine there are 8 samplers behind the the sample players. They are always there. 1-8. You can access them by going to the Record Setup menu on each track. Those sample recorders never move, and they are numbered 1-8 corresponding the track they are on.
The first 8 slots in the Flex pool, is where you can play what was recorded by those track recorders, but they correspond with the Recorders. So, track recorder 1 writes, or records to the first slot(R1) in the Flex machine list, second on the second slot(R2) and so on.
So, as other people have said, you could record into the track 6 recorder, then play what was recorded from there in track 5 by loading Flex slot R6 into track 5.
Sorry if you already understand this, but it seems to be a common topic now the people are stuck at home, having to face the OT, and finally get sampling down. I wish I could do a video to help, but I don’t have equipment. A lot of this is just understanding the structure of the OT.
Anyways, glad you you got it working! I have the OT and MnM combo as well. Those two together are endless fun.

2 Likes

That’s a great way of describing it thanks, it confirms that what I thought from this thread is correct. The ‘recording’ tracks are actually recording playback tracks, and the ‘recorders’ themselves are fixed ‘behind’ the 8 tracks.

Yep it absolutely frustrated me for a year haha. Maybe in a decade or so I’ll get the hang of Parts :wink: Or better yet I’ll ask on here when I feel like throwing it out the window again.

You don’t do yourself any favor when picturing it in this intermingled way.

Except with pickup machines recording and playback tracks are completely separated entities like audio and midi tracks are completely separated. They only share a naming scheme (the numbers 1 to 8) and you access them with the same track buttons.

On the 8 recording tracks you can set record trigs to automate the corresponding recorders.

On the 8 playback tracks you set trigs to control the playback.

5 Likes

Rec trigs not making any sound

And will never make any sound, like rec button of any recorder. Not their purpose.

2 Likes

Easiest way to think of it, there are no “recording tracks” but there are 8 “track recorders” whose contents can be played from any of the audio tracks.

3 Likes

Yep. It’s even possible to plock the 8 recordings on a single track!

But track recorder length depends on its audio track length, and its Plays Free behavior. Track scale is not taken in account by recorders, unfortunately. Tracks mutes don’t affect recorders.

4 Likes