Reasonably priced (unlimited ) step sequencer

Yeah an older MPC would be good for this. I know the MPC 1000 can go up to like 999 bars or something. Maybe even the MPC 500 would be a good bet but it’s a bit more fiddly with the small screen

Oxi one has…
128 steps per pattern (and you can have 4 of these running at the same time).
64 of these patterns are available per project.
You can store 16 projects at a time.
So… 128 steps * 64 patterns * 16 projects.
All of which you can jump between seamlessly live and any patterns within in a project can be advance-chained to make a song.
I’ve glowed over this thing plenty in the Oxi thread so I’ll leave it at this… once it’s in the wild I can pretty much guarantee that Oxi one will be the new standard for hardware sequencers.

1 Like

The Pyramid has a small display for its piano roll only.

Having Pyramid and MPC I would say that writing down and editing long parts of notes - like the ones printed on sheets for classical music - is much more convenient done on a MPC display.

1 Like

They don’t X0X step sequence. None in the QY series do.

Only Yamaha’s AFAIK with X0X style step sequencers are RM1X and RS7000

1 Like

I was looking for a sequencer and have found these two options which are pretty deep but not that expensive:

Five12 Vector - Eurorack but you can make it standalone. Many steps, lots of randomness, if you need.

Midibox SEQ V4 - open source, diy step sequencer but really powerful.

1 Like

This company do some interesting devices.

https://www.midiphy.com/en/news/

Whoa … thank you for pointing me in the direction of this.

2 Likes

Was going to suggest the rm1x

I was going to suggest a secondhand mpc500.

100,000 notes resolving at 96ppq
99 Sequences with total 48 tracks per seq
20 Songs with total 250 steps per song
24 “Active (loaded)” Programs max

The mpc1000 costs more, isn’t battery powered (although there’s a DIY mod kit) but it’s a bit beefier in terms of sampling time. The sequencer can have more tracks per sequence:

100,000 notes resolving at 96ppq
99 Sequences with total 64 tracks per seq
20 Songs with total 250 steps per song

1 Like

Yes plus JJOS adds a lot to the 1000 that may or may not be useful for @sabana either way they’re both great machines and very reliable

1 Like

Yeah jjos for the mpc1000 allows 300,000 maximum notes!

Go for a Yamaha RS7000 -> RM1x -> QY30

or

MPC X -> Live -> One -> 1000 -> etc

2 Likes

iPad with something like Xequence 2. You could likely use an older iPad. If you have a DT/DN/A4MKII, you can use one of those for class compliant MIDI.