Reason 12 is coming... GOTcha

Simple solution would be taking a couple of loops (3rd party) and a couple of (3rd party vsti) and arranging a small loop, level match and then unprocessed export it and do an a/b

1 Like

I think weā€™ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Iā€™ve also been using Reason since version 1, as well as a number of other DAWs. The EQs on the mixer are not built to be precise; theyā€™re built to be models of the SSL board. There are other EQs in Reason that are plenty precise. And while in many respects Reason has been playing catch up, so have those other programs, namely in trying to capture the fun and flexibility of the rack.

Anyway, this is probably a dead-end conversation and Iā€™m not looking for an argument, so my apologies for continuing to disagree here. Iā€™m mainly disagreeing so that others know that the ā€œReason soundā€ isnā€™t a thing, to the best of my knowledge, and that Reason is a ton of fun! Considering the price point, and considering you can now insert the rack into your other DAW as a VST/AU, itā€™s worth checking out.

2 Likes

I respect your point of view and I agree that it is worth trying the VST version in other DAW :+1:

2 Likes

That ā€œReason Soundā€ discussion has been on the net in endless cycles for years now - please donā€™t start it in this great and peaceful community here again :wink:
Personally I never noted any relevant differences between different DAWs soundwise. The fact that several successful pieces of popular music (e. g. at least one Beastie Boys Album since 2010) were entirely made with Reason also suggests that there is no inferior ā€œReason Soundā€.

To me, it is way more important that the playful GUI and the modular structure of Reason invites me to get creative. The ability to combine this with the loop based approach of Ableton or Bitwig is a dream come true.

Just my 2 Centsā€¦:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will be getting the regular version update at some point. Donā€™t need the suite or any of that stuff, the bread n butter reason devices are enough for me.

Sure enough, reason has a ā€œsoundā€, just like everything else. If you need a sound that NI Massive gives you that you prefer, why try to emulate that with reason? Use it for its strenghts instead of trying to do something that is better achieved by using something else. The VST rack offers exactly this, we get to mix and match, cherry pick and choose :yin_yang:

IMHO to claim that you cannot do ā€œseriousā€ music with reason, nonsense. Making music is not a competition, and talent always trumps gear in the end if we need to start getting academic bout it.

4 Likes

Am I the only one that finds Reason 11 quite pricey for what it is? Genuinely interested, I havenā€™t used Reason in a decade, so maybe Iā€™m missing something.

depends. If you have a reason 1.0 licence, upgrading to v 11 is only 129$

Well, itā€™s a full-on DAW, so in that sense itā€™s cheaper than many of the other ones out there (and more expensive than some), and itā€™s also a pretty strong complement of instruments. But for me itā€™s worth it because of the rack environment and being able to quickly and effortlessly wire things up in clever ways, and also because of the Rack Extensions ecosystem, which allows you to add more instruments into the rack with their own wiring. There are little quality-of-life touches that are missing from other DAWs, too, like the global undo on everything (instead of VSTs having their own or not having one at all).

The biggest drawback for me, and the biggest disappointment in this Reason 11 update, is that they didnā€™t update the resolution. In 2019, the GUI is just getting long in the tooth, too small and fuzzy in many instances. The legacy devices, like Thor (which still sounds fantastic), is basically too small to use without putting your nose against the screen.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve upgraded to Suite. Tried all of the stuff and Iā€™m happy Iā€™ll be getting my moneyā€™s worth.

Some light googling revealed that international folk can pay in dollars at JRRshop.com and thereā€™s a bit of extra money off (11%) if you use the code FORUM. This worked out as ā‚¬211.04 a little earlier, via PayPal.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was going to be my main complaint as well. Butā€¦ I also canā€™t seem to download several of the Suite Rack Extensions. Some download fine, some donā€™t. VST version also seems to be crashing Ableton and then I canā€™t even open the file afterward - instacrash. I have a ticket in with Propellerheads. Hope they can help or Iā€™ll have to get a refund. Sucks. I was really looking forward to this. :cry:

2 Likes

I usually wait before I before I update and will do the same now. However, I donā€™t see why you want to get a refund if having a few problems. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll work out the bugs asap.

Thanks for sharing. Went for the suite update, and the combination of Complex-1 and PolyStep sequencer has been keeping me thoroughly entertained since!

1 Like

Edited for grumpiness.

I would love for it to work. I would love for them to solve it. If they canā€™t, Iā€™ll get a refund. Iā€™ve been around long enough to know sometimes shit just doesnā€™t work on certain setups and sometimes it can take years for bugs to get worked out with hardware and software. I donā€™t have the patience for that when I canā€™t even open files due to instant crashes. Soā€¦ refund. No biggie. Iā€™m sure it will work fine on 99.9% of userā€™s systems and more than likely they will get this worked out on mine too. Was just thinking out loud.

1 Like

All this talk about outdated instruments and samples has me thinking I should probably just throw out my 50 year old guitar, right?

4 Likes

Users of reason would you recommend the intro edition to run as a vst in Ableton? Itā€™s Ā£69 and you do get a lot of synths, drum machines and fx for the money. Are they any good?

1 Like

If the redrum is included and you owned a 909 and wanted good mods its worth the money alone imho whoever ripped that out is a legend.

3 Likes

Europa and Thor are both pretty good I think. I like the Scream distortion and the RV7000 reverb, and I find the MIDI player devices more inspiring than Abletonā€™s MIDI fx. Iā€™ll venture that Abletonā€™s better for sampling, drums and slicing, and you wouldnā€™t necessarily reach for that stuff if youā€™re working inside Ableton. But you might.

2 Likes

Reason Intro doesnā€™t have a huge array of things (sort of depends on the music you make), but itā€™s worth what theyā€™re asking. Europaā€™s fairly powerful and low on CPU usage. Thor sounds fantastic, though its GUI sucks in 2019. Maybe the coolest part of getting Reason Intro is access to the Rack Extension environment, where you can add cool synths like Antidote and take advantage of Reasonā€™s CV system, although thatā€™s a hard sell, I admit.

1 Like

Yep.

I feel like a kid with all of the Legos.

This is probably worth sticking in the thread here (DivKid Complex-1 Mega Tutorial - all of its modules and knobs explained): https://youtu.be/XRbUrNEjbj4

Iā€™m really enjoying Parsec.

1 Like

Donā€™t just throw it out. Kill it with fire so no-one else can make the same mistake that you did with it.

2 Likes