Reaper, Overbridge - Analog Keys as sound card

Crikey. That’s a bit of a shock. At least you know you’re not going loopy!

I should send elektron a bill for the lost time trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I say we start a petition to put @Void in charge of Elektron’s software development. Dude produces better stuff on his own than the “official” product.

How… How can a company that can produce these AMAZING music boxes be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad at software design?

What I find really shocking and/or interesting is that OB has been out like what, two years? They advertise that a big selling point of their boxes, with OB, is that you can use them as a sound card (IN and OUT). And I’m just some schmuck amateur who in the first day of getting worked over by OB managed to find an issue this glaring?! Does no one else actually use OB for the stuff they advertise it for? Are folks just using it as a VST MIDI controller for parameters?

Or has everyone else just said fuck it and left the OB party and I’m the only one left… Standing here talking to myself like the stapler guy in Office Space?

I think your in an outlier category using Reaper. Most folks are using it with live. There’s so many different configurations out there that OB works perfect for some, great for a lot, good for a few, and sucks for some…
FWIW I don’t really use it but have fired it up a few times in Logic and have never had one issue.

It’s a Reaper issue? ExtIn works as advertised for those other DAWs? I assumed that when they said it’s a bug, it’s an OB bug (i.e. OB is just not sending ExtIn out of the plugin at all). It’s the same VST code. Reaper can see all it’s other pins and they work.

Anyhoo, at least I know it’s not my stupidity so I can move on now… :slight_smile:

Oh sorry, I guess I’m not sure of that specific issue, I just meant in general…

No, i ques no one got that far with 40-50 ms latency… you do not get crazy ideas such as using “it” as soundcard, you just pretend you could do it hahha

Maybe it’s semantics, but I’d consider getting the audio in via the VST as part of the “soundcard” thing. :slight_smile:

Me, because of the issue with OB, I’m using my Behringer mixer’s USB audio right now and ASIO4ALL as the “soundcard” and OB/VST as audio in from the AR/AK.

I’m playing via midi percussion, which is super sensitive to latency, and in Reaper I have ASIO4ALL turned all the way down. I’ve got 2ms latency and the audio from OB/VST tracks fine.

Sooo, after all that are you saying that when people try to use OB as a “soundcard” the best they can get is 40ms?! No way… Way?

Really?

Only a few ms for me on a modest old computer, making the device entirely playable/responsive via a USB cable alone … but let’s not let those facts get in the way of the constant Elektron bashing

Most people have a good OB experience now, so I doubt many of them are stuck with 50ms latency … also zero issues using it as a soundcard in the past

Sometimes things break when other things get fixed, these things happen, especially when you’re pushing the boundaries and are up against unforeseen bandwidth constraints on the earlier devices

This constant berating of Elektron staff and/or beta testers is pretty tactless, at best, and is always lamentable as far as encouraging them to join in here … quite frankly, if this place was more inviting and positive leaning we’d be more likely to get them on board and involved … it’s just far too uninviting and negative around here best of times, it becomes a drag even just as a user, let alone if you’ve worked your behind off and see only contempt that’s not always particularly insightful

We can raise the bar even whilst being critical, strangely enough that’s always the best approach to getting results, people are more likely to engage/listen/respond if you’re offering constructive feedback

Latency using OB ASIO/Core Audio vs latency of streaming voices from the plugin is probably what is getting mixed up when people are claiming 40ms latencies. Personally I only use the soundcard feature occasionally with my laptop, where it’s no worse than any other generic USB interface.

Plugin latency reported from DAW hosts will not shift from ~30ms on the several systems and OS I use here,

1 Like

Hmmm… I don’t see how raising large, glaring issues on what Elektron has touted as a flagship effort for 2+ years as “bashing”

If:
a) I was trying to get OB to work with Cubase on my Atart 520St… Yea, that would be my issue… But this is Reaper. It’s a mainstream, major DAW. It’s not some Tracker running on my Linux box.
b) If OB was some backwater beta “hey guys check out this little plugin our guys worked on this weekend over beer and pizza”… Again, expectations would be different.

But in this case we’re talking about 1/3 of the outputs (Main=1, tracks=2, ext=3) NOT… WORKING…On a product that Elektron clearly are marking as an underpinning of all their future devices… On devices that command premium price tags.

How is pointing that out “overly negative”?

Elektron’s hardware and OS in the boxes are marvels of musical engineering. Their approach to handling modulations via perf etc. are awesome.

But I don’t see a “beta” tag on OB. Why should people not expect it to work as advertised?

1 Like

Well, I can do buzzrolls on my MIDI controller that’s going into Reaper via DIN MIDI via M-Audio 2x2 into AR OB using ASIO4All on a lowly Beringer USB enabled mixer… That’s my high-water mark.

:slight_smile:

See Avantronica, I’m not ALL negative :laughing:

1 Like

I am currently using A4 as my soundcard. I have some latency but it can be fixed after recording so I can live with it. Worse problem for me are pops and crackles that appear sometimes. That said, when it works, Overbridge is really great in my opinion. Hopefully they keep on improving it.

41 ms latency for OB striming 4 voices and doing nothing alse, win 7 pro i5 8gb ram, and yes, i found that is negative also but maybe we are not aloud to talk about it, just ppay and shut up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Everyone who’s not running Ableton will have had and may still have (i’m in that group too fwiw) some issues, but for the most part it does what it says on the tin and the guys who are working hard to fix this will get round to all the known things eventually, but they’ll be fixing other things in the way you’d expect a business to do so (by their priorities), not necessarily how we’d want it to … publicly venting at parts of the organisation is below the belt, especially as we all don’t know what’s going on - I am a little aware (as a beta tester) of just how hard and late these guys can work and how fickle the whole package can be, some very small changes have unexpected outcomes elsewhere … think about all the ways that OB can be used and configured and of all the systems it can run on and that each host environment brings up its own challenges … OB wasn’t doing it for me for a long while (Max), but it’s slowly got more robust and usable for most

No doubt there are systems where it’s never going to be as efficient and for these folk it’s a tough deal, but for someone to casually relay their own bad experience (e.g. very high latency) as though it was typical is now known to be far from the mark … besides, it’s a general negativity that’s pervasive here and that’s understandable, folk don’t generally write in good reviews when things work, they get on it when it doesn’t … I just don’t think it helps anyone to be publicly suggesting (even in jest/dismay) the software developers should be shown the door etc etc or that because there’s still some gremlins and oversights that there must be a slack attitude somewhere

these bugs need to be reported officially, if new, and shared here ideally so we all know (we need to talk about it), but it may be that non critical ones will be fixed in slow time or that significant ones may require a bit of patience … some of these bugs are for things which worked before, it’s clear that there are a lot of plates to juggle … sure, it’s frustrating when things ain’t working, but keep the faith and a bit of perspective, keep it light around here

1 Like

When i have more than one machine in overbridge

it’s a totally crap!!!

1 Like

:zonked:
Works for me. I use it with A4, AR and AH.

Too bad - works like a complete charm for me with AR, A4 and AH all at once and improves my workflow no end. So… Overbridge isn’t crap - your gear is matey.

1 Like

works for me, 2 devices at once, at least.

works fine for me, I’ve only ever used it with mi A4 tho. no problems.

It’s all Elektron Gear (AK & AR) ! I even shelled out for the Overhub!

Windows 10/64 i7@3.4… 16GB, etc. etc.
Reaper, Latest…

Even Elektron support admitted that 1) the windows driver is bugged and 2) it should have been fixed sooner.

So no… It’s not my gear. I’m not willing to change platforms, OS’s etc. to deal with their buggy implementations. They need to advertise on the box “Overbridge only works with a limited set of configurations. If you dare yo work outside Ableton and/or OSX, you’re doooooooooomed”

But I’m happy it works for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like