Really easy time stretching on the Digitakt

Dude thatā€™s fuckin tight. Thatā€™s just one track per pattern correct? So fuckin good.

Just messed about with an older bassline loop I had sequenced using an 0-ctrlā€¦ why did I wait so long to mess with this easy time stretch trick its so easy and fun!

1 Like

I was trying this and after running a while it starts to sound bad like it is getting out of sync with itself, causing pops and clicks, is this because you need perfectly trimmed samples prepared on a computer?.

You can get pops and clicks if your sample is not perfectly trimmed. However, this should be audible immediately. Did you set the first trig to retrig the LFO, so it will reset the sync each time the pattern starts?

2 Likes

Everything the same as the demo I think, first step has 1st condition and locked lfo trigger, second step is microtimed back with retrigger. it starts ok but after several passes it starts to degrade and gets slowly worse.

I posted this in 2017 apparently :slight_smile:
Easy time stretch

1 Like

OK, did you also lock the LFO to sync trig on the LFO page for the first trig?

1 Like

One thing you might try if the loop slowly gets out of sync is to change from the ā€œ1stā€ trig condition to a ā€œ1:4ā€ condition (if your sample is 4 bars) so that the phase of the LFO resets when the sample completes a cycle. This is also useful if youā€™re messing with the multiplier or other ā€œvolatileā€ settings that cause the LFO to get out of sync even when your loop is perfect. Hope that helps.

4 Likes

not sure if if this is always the case with this trick always or because I have my settings a little funny (I kinda just tweaked some stuff until it sounded cool) but I have found changing swing basically gives me a remix of my bass line, everything still plays in time and it sounds actually amazing, maybe just a fluke. Maybe because I am forcing it to play close to double the speed of my sample it is missing notes or landing on double notes in the original by adding swing it is now landing on different notes? I also added a little snappy filter envelope which probably helpsā€¦ I will poke around it and try to understand what is happening because it sounds really great.

1 Like

Nice one dude, I donā€™t think itā€™s a fluke at all - Iā€™ve found the swing setting can change up the feel of a patch big time and itā€™s super easy to experiment with different values to get different grooves. Filter envelope is clutch btw thatā€™s the key to the drippy time stretch :sunglasses:

1 Like

holy moly, dude. i read through the thread earlier but didnā€™t check your video until now. it totally makes sense! thanks for demonstrating!

2 Likes

also, possibly unrelated, but how are you chopping stuff into 2 or 8 bar samples? are they chains or just chopped using an audio editor?

1 Like

hey man glad you enjoyed the vid. Iā€™m doing it all on the Digitakt. Time stretching makes it easy to test if loops work or not while youā€™re chopping them. More on that soon

2 Likes

Yep. Interesting, curious about it. What about what I mention above, chain a pattern with a click/pulse to find the end visually, and clearly?
I also tried to set the tempo in order to record 33s, and not having to trim : at 109.1 bpm. 120 steps recording IIRC. Not a perfect tempo, theoretical one is 109,09 or something.

If interested, I found the perfect tempo to record perfect loops (still with 33s recording without having to trim), but it requires microtiming. I checked with a daw, it is sample value accurate (33x48000 samples)
I made a project for that, firstly for 120 samples, but 30 samples seems much easier to set. If someone interested in Microtiming values or projectā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m loving this and it works great on one bar loops for me - pretty easy to set up etc and getting some lovely beat repeats and glitches - awesome!

However, I just bounced down a 4 bar loop of one of my tracks and I cannot get it to loop smoothly, just keeps playing the 16 beat repeats from the second trig before playing the rest of the loopā€¦ not sure what I need to adjust on the LFO - Iā€™ve tried reducing the MULTI to 4 and various minus values on the SPD - likewise Iā€™ve adjusted the DEP but thought it probably best to leave it at 60ā€¦ Pattern length is set to 32 X1 - which is the length of the loopā€¦

Any thoughts, tips on how to get this looping without the repeats at the start would be appreciated - again, have this working with a one bar loop and it really incredibly exciting

Thanks guys

M

Start = 60 ?

Hmmā€¦ I know when the LFO depth / sample start position are set such that the target is out of the 0-120 range you hit the edges which makes the play head repeat at the start or the end of the sample. Maybe thatā€™s whatā€™s going on?

That glitch actually makes a nice effect especially when you combine it with a sample slot scanning.

Somewhat related - I noticed you get a zipping repeat at the end of the sample when fwd loop is on which fills the small gap that sometimes happens at the end of an otherwise properly trimmed sample.

Also reverse mode makes the play head start at an index of sample start + sample length, so setting sample length to divisions of 120 gives great musical results and is independent of the sample material. Also loop point has an effect as well. Set some plocks in the grid thinking of each one as a playback modifying event. Itā€™s VERY fun

Anyways thereā€™ll be another video soon, consider this the sneak preview :wink:

7 Likes

Panic over :slight_smile:

So I found through quite a bit of tweaking that the reason this was occurring was because the second trig was overriding the first one as the mode was set to ā€˜trigā€™ so it would get stuck on the beat repeat cycle - I also had to set the second trig to 4 on the MULT - the first trig is set to 8 on the MULT - and now the loop is setā€¦ this is a great technique but I think collectively weā€™ll have to compile some sort of chart as there are so many variables for different loops - itā€™s all down to a lot of experimentation/trial and error - which is half the fun I suppose!

4 Likes

Thanks for this tip, thatā€™s awesome.
Maybe a stupid question, but why do you actually need to have 2 trigs set?
Why not having the LFO triggered by the retrigged trig (sorry for all the triggery trig repetition :D).

I precise that I was not doing much music before, and got my Digitakt only 3 months back, so I might be misunderstanding some things.

1 Like

The first trig resets the start phase of the lfo so itā€™s always in time at the start of the sample. The second retrigā€™d trig doesnā€™t have the lfo phase restart enabled, so the lfo is free to move through the sample.

If there was only one retrigā€™d trig, thereā€™d be no way to lock it to the grid without locking every retrig too ā€” so youā€™d either be machine-gunning your loopā€™s start point, or scanning through the sample correctly but not be locked to the grid.

1 Like