Real Polysynth

They sound great, did you record them with an Octatrack?

10 Likes

wow… i kinda can’t believe that digitone clip is fm and not analogue, though my ears are not that experienced. sounds great to me, especially for fm.

The tail on the DN’s sound is delightful.

Time I get me a DN Keys

No, because I’ve read that there are some serious issues with the Octatrack regarding sound quality :upside_down_face:

Simply recorded with USB class compliant mode of the Digitone actually. So the Digitone signal never left the digital domain. The Korg Prologue was connected to the inputs of the Digitone so that one was recorded using the ADC of the Digitone.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t have to ask if it was recorded on an OT amirite

3 Likes

4 Likes

You do have one, @Tchu, right? Right?

(OT can also be used as a poly synth, although I can’t vouch for the sound quality.)

2 Likes

I love real polysynth

3 Likes

(Some) off topic posts scrubbed.

Let’s keep things on topic please. This is not a spill over topic for your Moog rants. That thread was closed for good reasons.

6 Likes

In an effort to get things back on topic, I’ll respond to the OP…

I’ll have to check on the Hydrasynth KB’s unison mode (I don’t use it much) but I have found it to be an ideal poly synth. Yes, only 8 voices, but with the 3 OSCs, and all those FX and modulation, those 8 voices can sound quite meaty.

Chord mode is solid and when you keep it engaged while using the arp, it will arpeggiate the whole chord polyphonically, not monophonically. I love this.

Otherwise, have a look at the Nord Lead 3. It has a Unison Stack feature and a fair bit of modulation as well (for a Nord). Could give you what you desire.

1 Like

Yeah I’m gonna need to see a pic of this bad boy

As requested:

It’s the world’s heaviest, clunkiest keytar. It’s a presets synth, but you can edit the sounds a little, I haven’t worked out if they can be saved. I don’t think so. Most of the controls have little effect. I guess it’s got a 2-pole filter, but it’s so gentle it might even be 1-pole. The resonance doesn’t.

I rather like it, to be honest. I’ve commented in the “most melancholy synths” thread that it’s quite sad. When the filter’s taken some top end off, it’s distant, dusty, cheap-sounding like an early 90s home keyboard and it goes out of tune. It reminds me of Boards of Canada.

4 Likes

Is it just the angle or are those keys unusually long?

It’s not the angle.

3 Likes

I’ll leave it to everyone else to decide how good this guy’s home brew analog polysynth sounds. This was done pretty recently.

This is a no talk video six and a half minutes long.

From the YT comments:

Hi folks, here’s a short, no-talking demo of a prototype 8-voice analog synthesizer I am working on. What do you think?

The hardware of each voice features two VCOs, a ladder-style lowpass and a state-variable highpass filter, wave folder, and ring mod.

All voice circuitry was made with op-amps, OTAs, and discrete components.

There is one effect, an 8-stage analog phaser.

2 Likes

Virus TI/TI2 is basically the ultimate end-all Polysynth.

Wow! That’s an impressive DIY project!

1 Like

I’m wondering if he has any product intent with this ?

It does things differently, and it sounds very much original.

1 Like

I’d hope so, it looks good enough to sell as it is! I’ve not watched the full vid but it sounds good too.

I’ve always wanted to build my own poly, I’m no programmer tho so writing the firmware for voice allocation and key scanning has always been the stumbling block. I did get a 4 voice poly midi to CV converter kit some time ago but I’ve not got around to building it. The plan was to use that as the digital control over 4 voice cards. Maybe one day I’ll get around to cracking on with it all. Major issues with mission creep in the thinking about it stage doesn’t help either!

1 Like