Real Music for Unreal Times

Hi!

In March when Finland went into covid-19 lockdown, I decided to record a new album. I picked up three microphones from my studio and started recording at home. A month later I had finished a new album called Real Music for Unreal Times: Volume 2. It is continuation to my 2015 acoustic handpan album, but this time I added other instruments as well. Soma Lyra-8 is heavily featured on the album and there are also some rare acoustic string instruments, such as jouhikko (Finnish bowed lyre) and two different sized viola da gambas. And even though the whole album is played without metronome, I used Digitakt for some background noises in some of the more experimental sections. The album will be out on Friday June 5th 2020 on digital platforms and vinyl and cd editions will come later this summer.

I’m also working on a shadow twin album to this one. There are ambient noises behind the tracks throughout the whole album and the shadow album will focus on those. It will be exactly the same length than the original album and some sections will sound exactly the same, but in some parts the versions will take totally different ways. Who knows what happens if you play these at the exactly same time…! This album will be largely based on Octatrack and it will be released later this year.

This forum has been a great source of inspiration for me during the last 1-2 years that I’ve been exploring the Octatrack and Digitakt and as a thank you I wanted to share some download codes with you. Pick a code and comment after you have used it. You can download the album at kumea.bandcamp.com/yum. Or if the codes are gone, check the album here: https://kumea.bandcamp.com/album/real-music-for-unreal-times-vol-2.

Enjoy! :hugs:

8jmb-gbn2
tfr5-3hvh
2alf-hvt5
6uru-7rp4
uwmx-v47a
xpgp-6ap7
q9ur-ynb5
f3w5-bjlf
5xjg-x65a
bqgn-eynb

7 Likes

used code 8jmb-gbn2

thanks! stoked to listen to this! for a second I was having flashbacks to reading an interview with Sasu Ripatti recently. but I think it’s primarily because of the hand-sampled instruments and being from Finland.

1 Like

I couldn’t use the codes, but I liked what I heard and I love acoustic music so the cd is preordered (yes, I’m one of those weirdos prefering cds over vinyls for this kind of music)

2 Likes

Ha! I have listened to his music and I think the new Vladislav Delay album is pretty good! Very different music but some kind of emotional connection maybe exists. Thank you!

Hey, CD’s are great! I’ve been waiting for a good rack CD player to cross my path for a couple of years already. For this album we mastered a different version for the vinyl and CD. The vinyl master is all analog processing and made for living room listening conditions. Digital master is a bit wider and cinematic and works well for both speakers and headphones. Thank you so much for ordering the CDs!

1 Like

The album was released today and in addition to Bandcamp it is now also available on Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Google etc. It’s weird to celebrate the launch day alone at home but at least I don’t need to stress about sound check etc. :smiley:

These codes should still work on Bandcamp:

tfr5-3hvh
2alf-hvt5
6uru-7rp4
uwmx-v47a
xpgp-6ap7
q9ur-ynb5
f3w5-bjlf
5xjg-x65a
bqgn-eynb

2 Likes

Hey thanks, I grabbed code tfr5-3hvh. Loving the highlighted track on your Bandcamp page, so wanted to get the full album in high quality.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
I took one (5xjg-x65a)

1 Like

I used the 2alf-hvt5 code!

:yum:

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I listened to this with my partner last night while drinking martinis. Lovely stuff! Almost makes me want to get a hand pan :smile: I like the idea of the shadow album; will look out for that one.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for listening!

@spikysimon Martinis and handpans is a great combo — now you just need to get a handpan! :smiley:

These codes are left:

6uru-7rp4
uwmx-v47a
xpgp-6ap7
q9ur-ynb5
f3w5-bjlf
bqgn-eynb

2 Likes

@Wuola
Thanks very much indeed.
Looking forward to listening.
f3w5-bjlf redeemed.
:+1:

1 Like

Sublime! I have used the code : uwmx-v47a

Great combination of Organic (Hand Pan) and Organismic (Lyra-8). Thank you!

1 Like

Hello,

I finally received the cd album a few weeks ago.

Excellent album, I love it.