Re-start, what now?

I’m wrapping up something I’ve worked on for some time, putting the final pieces together and preparing it for release. Bits and pieces of it have appeared in other contexts over the year(s), but now I feel it’s time to close the book on this one. I’m bubble wrapping up all my gear except for the Blackbox and the SSL SiX, on which I’m finishing the last parts. Then, those go into their boxes as well.

Not sure where I’ll go next after that. Every time I finish something big, I do nothing. Don’t make new plans. Don’t seek inspiration elsewhere. But I leave my mind open and always bring a notebook. In time, something will show up, but never when or from where I’d expect it to.

3 Likes

This is so important to me too. Art can’t be made in a complete vacuum; or at least for me it can’t. Sometimes I’ve had a long run of weeks of all my free time going in the studio, and at some point it just dries up. By then I realize I really can’t skip on outside world things - wether it’s friends, hobbies, other kinds of music, nature, or simply any outside impressions - to impress you with new energies.

2 Likes

honestly?
the thing that gets me back at it is boredom…
music has ALWAYS been there for me
i definitely take it for granted, even after some hearing loss issues…
but? there it is when all else has gone.
i get bored with it all and i make music.
and then, out of that mire that i start in, i get stoked on one thing or another and then music takes over for the other thing.
then im right back at it…banging on drums in the daylight and twisting knobs when its dark.
:thinking: :face_with_monocle:
everyone has a path back…

1 Like

Replying to myself here, mainly for closure reasons. EP’s done now. Putting the SiX into its box, wrapping bubble plastic around the Blackbox.

Feels strange :neutral_face:

I have a ceremonial bonfire of all the gear I used after I finish an EP.

It’s great, we have sacrificial virgins, a peasant hunt, witch burning…you name it…

Really cathartic, helps with the inevitable emptiness after a project is finished. Also, the kids really get a lot our of it too, and it’s always nice to do things together as a family after I’ve been busy.

4 Likes

Finishing is the hard part for me, no end of new ideas or inspiration at the start, sounds like a cliche but in that zone ideas just flow and all the main stuff is done in a very short time.

So I need to work on overcoming that and get stuff finished.

3 Likes

I just finished an EP for a friend’s label. He’s really excited about the tracks. I’m not :frowning:

So with that, I’m just going to keep trying to figure out how to make better, more exciting techno :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s all about the snare and the hihat!

1 Like

Is Sardou considered as pop?

Would be quite a challenge to remix. Or at least to use only Sardou samples for an EP.