RANT: I wish grooveboxes weren't all 4 bars these days

I suppose a lot of this depends on how rigid one’s sense of ‘composition’ is. I write a lot on guitar or keyboard, then try to reconcile my boxes to that.
But something that made me fall in love with Elektron stuff is the element of chance. Following the very odd happy accidents down the rabbit hole can be very satisfying too

yeah but there is a limit on the amount of notes per trig. Its not completely un-quantized. You cant play 4 16th notes with 1/2 scale.

Still better than nothing. I much rather have speed multipliers per track than not have them :wink:

3 Likes

Especially if you need differing resolutions for different tracks. That’s why at least a per track scaling would be a helpful solution.

It is a good way to make up for it, works for some stuff but ideally we shouldnt have to find a alternate solution. It should just be there.

How would you conceive this, in term of user interface ?

maybe different colors on the page lights to signify a second set of Pages. Im sure there is a way to do it, maybe im not the best one to come up with it.

Everytime you half the scale you loose half the resolution meaning microtiming becomes less and less usefull for beat placement ,same as when you cut the tempo in half to give your self more space, the resolution does not adjust.

The only modern box I have is OT, but are you saying MnM song mode is deeper than OT arranger mode? I haven’t played around with it but assumed it was the same if not better.

EDIT I just looked at the manual and the OT has Offset, BPM changes and mute settings. Not sure about the other boxes.

3 Likes

Yes, in a very Elektron way, if Octatrack was the answer everyone would have one, unfortunately it comes with its own set of barriers that make it a less than appeaing choice for many compared to newer releases, Octatrack features yes, Octatrack reality no.

1 Like

And here is one of the reasons I enjoy having a box that does linear sequencing.

the ot is always the outlier, and i would not really call it a modern elektron box as its 10 years old. The mkii not really an upgrade. But yes, the ot arranger is quite good and complex. Doesn’t have prog change per step though. Analog series song mode nothing to write home about.

good point lol

when the only two other boxes I’ve had are a MD mk1 and a Mono I’d call it modern :stuck_out_tongue:

If you think of patterns as pages (keep them at 1 bar) then chain them you can actually get the best of both worlds - provided that you don’t need lots of patterns - you can edit any “page” by selecting that pattern alone. It isn’t ideal but it works very well, and has some advantages depending on the machine.

6 Likes

Obviously, but it is better than nothing. I much rather have speed multipliers per track than nothing at all.

plus I am pretty sure you can live record accross mutiple patterns if you set up a chain.
not 100% per cent sure…

1 Like

Can confirm you can’t do that, on the Digitakt at least. It exits live record mode as soon as it changes to the next pattern in the chain.

AAAArg really!?
I think I did that with my analog keys back in the day.

EDIT : just tried on my digitakt, it works!
not sure we are speaking of the same thing.
here i set up a pattern chain 1 - 2.
launch the chain.
live record trigs accross the 2 chains.

easy to setup a long sequence consisting of a chain with focus on a 64 step basis.
but eats patterns

4 Likes

Have you seen @Ess ‘s Instagram? Don’t tempt him! :slight_smile:

Wow really? I don’t think I’ve tried it for a while, tried it when I first got the box and it just stopped recording once it changed patterns. Will try again, would be sweet if it works here too. Thanks for the heads up :grinning:

1 Like