Random "Oh Sh*t" Moments of Discovery on the Octatrack

Day 03 as some may know (not that many need to care lol) on the Octatrack, sliced up the first three hits on a drum break and placed them on T1-3 to play with slices.

So I program my little beat and what not with the 3 hits, then today, while watching videos on slicing, I decide to auto slice to 16 slices rather than the 3 slices I initially made. The end result was a lovely erratic but on beat drum pattern that only a professional drummer could’ve created.

What are some random “oh shit” moments that you all have discovered on the OT that you care to share with others?

-NV

2 Likes

When someone posted this:

And then I tried it (embarrassingly) with vocals - which is also in the thread! Such a cool idea.

2 Likes

same thing again happened today, i tried to copy a pattern from 1 to 2, and ended up deleting pattern one, beat lost. recreated a new one in 20 min at lunch with the samples done totally different direction etc. and loved it. This is a fantastic machine. Wish it was battery powered.

1 Like

Slices scanned from left to right on the fader, scene lock A on on slice 1, scene lock B on slice 64. Hi hat sample chain, with the octa output fed through a digital delay pedal doing some karplus strong high feedback stuff. Left hand on the time knob on the delay, right hand on the octa fader.

4 Likes

One thing Ive discovered recently is how powerful the distortion parameter is on the Filter FX setup page… if you set it around 50% and also set the Q parameter around 50%, then play around with the Q setup affecting “both” or just “width” or “base” and also changing the slope of each curve from 12db or 24db… then start tweaking the “width” and/or “base” parameter - there is a seriously wide range of sounds you can get from this, its just a massive amount of variation here… even moreso if you run one filter into another with different settings, either on the same track or with a neighbor track

its possible to get some extremely gnarly and freaky aggressive type sounds with this… I had been wanting to get a proper distortion type thing going on with the OT and was trying to get it done with the LOFI fx, but then I found that the one you get thru the filter setup is way way better at shaping sounds into crazy stuff - and at the same time you can use the Filter FX which is often more useful to me overall

4 Likes