RAM Full? - "Sample Exceed Avail Memory" - "Sample Memory Full"

Hey there,
I’ve just transferred some new samples to my Digitakt, and I’m attempting to import them into a Project, (essentially replacing a kick drum sample), however, when I do, it shows the following messages…

“Sample Exceed Avail Memory” and “Sample Memory Full”

I’m assuming this is referencing the RAM being full, opposed to the 1GB storage, seeing as the samples transferred over from my Mac into the Storage fine.
I’ve tried removing some of the samples from the RAM, but I’m not sure I’m doing it right.

Can anyone instruct me on how to do this, so I can import more Samples?

Cheers!

• Reuben

In the SETTINGS > SAMPLE menu, unload the samples you want to remove.

See page 58 of the v1.10 manual for full description.

2 Likes

I’m doing that exactly, in fact, i’ve just followed these exact instructions from the manual…

" 1. Press [TRK] + [TRIG 1-8] to select the audio track that contains the sample you wish to replace.
2. Press [FUNC] + [SRC] to open the RAM memory sample slot list. The sample assigned to the track
is highlighted.
3. Press [FUNC] + [YES]. to open the +Drive library
4. Navigate to the sample you want to use, and then press [YES].
You can preview a sample in the +Drive library by highlighting it and pressing [FUNC] + [YES]. "

I’ve also tried this…

" 1. Highlight the slot containing the sample you wish to replace, and then press [RIGHT] to open the
right-hand menu and select REPLACE.
2. Browse the directories of the +Drive, locate the desired sample and press [YES] to place it in the
previously highlighted sample slot. "

But still, Sample is not loading.

Starting to think maybe it is an Issue with the Digitakt…

I’ve gone into SETTINGS -> SAMPLES -> VIEW RAM - and Selected all the Audio files and unloaded them from the RAM, but then I still get the same “Sample Exceed Avail Memory” and “Sample Memory Full” notification when trying to load anything onto the RAM. Furthermore, as soon as I load a project, all the audio on the RAM I unloaded suddenly appears back on the RAM again…

o_0

1 Like

Are you saving the project after unloading the samples from RAM?

If not, try that, then reload the project.

1 Like

I’m not, but when i load the Project, surely it should only load the samples into the RAM that i’ve actually used? Surely it shouldn’t load all of them…

The Project contents consists of RAM contents.

So if you are not saving after unloading, then it is just reloading the last saved state, which would include the RAM contents (loaded).

So, save after unloading the RAM, then reload, then you will have room in your project for more samples.

1 Like

So when i load a project, it loads ALL the samples that were loaded in the RAM when i saved it? Even the one’s I’m not using?

Does that mean i have to go through all my saved Projects and unload the samples on the RAM that i’m not using, and then save each project once this has been done on each?

Yes and yes, well you dont HAVE to on the second one unless your other projects need space

1 Like

The Digitakt does not discern whether or not you are “using” a sample. It makes all samples loaded into RAM “ready” for use. Those that are not loaded into RAM are not “ready” for use.

If you are not using it, it is good practice to not load it into RAM. Or , if it is already loaded to RAM but not being used, to unload it.

The same way with a computer’s RAM, if you are not using an Application, and it is open, it is still occupying the RAM. The computer does not unload that application from RAM until you close that application.

3 Likes

Right… I love the Digitakt, but that seems really dumb…
Oh well, better crack on unloading then!

Thanks, everyone for taking the time to help, really appreciate it.

2 Likes

It is standard operation for any device that has storage plus memory (a hard drive plus RAM).

2 Likes

Yeah, I think the only alternative would be automating this process which means every time you changed patterns it would unload unused ones from the last pattern then load the newly used ones from HD to RAM. Which would mean a load delay on every pattern…

3 Likes

How do you folks overcome this limitation?

Take the time required to manage your samples the same way you would with any other solution. Hardware or software.

Unload that which has no use, as it serves to only get in the way of the samples that do.

4 Likes

I’ve had another weird problem were I can’t load a sample until I restart the device. It’s almost like it only permanently clears the RAM on restart or something.

I’ve checked the RAM and nothing has changed on the front end.

1 Like

That sounds like an actual issue - I’d contact Elektron.

I found the same with my Digi

Even after I’d had a big clear out, and then saved and reloaded the project - The second time I reloaded the project the Digi hung up.

When I powered it up again it got stuck on the logo on start up. I then turned it off & on and got the same thing.

The next time I powered it up it came back to life!

• And there is now loads of room in the sample library/Ram!!

:upside_down_face:

Love this Forum! Thanks to everyone who contributes!!