Quick- switching trig pattern for a single track only

Hi,

Is it possible to quick change the trig pattern for a single track only, whilst maintaining the trig patterns for all the other tracks ?

I have a single pattern set up with four tracks (kick/snare/hat1/hat2). I want to (eg) quickly substitute the kick trigs only for a different set of pre- created trigs, to see what the new kick track sounds like against the other three.

I thought maybe I could change the pattern, but then the trigs for all tracks chang (I don’t want to have to copy/paste loads of tracks across patterns)

I thought maybe I could do it with parts, but the patterns seem to persist across the parts change.

So now I am thinking I have to recorder- trig sample patterns into individual flex slots, and switch them that way.

Is that the only way to do this ?

TIA

Not as such. Maybe look at the “fill” trig condition and see if you can use that to get what you want.

3 Likes

Why not copy the pattern and change trigs only on one track? Quick and easy solution.

Besides that, you can transform a pattern with Fill and No Fill conditions like @JSZ already wrote.

Fill will play trigs that normally don’t play (so basically add trigs to the track) and No Fill will prevent trigs from playing that normally play.
Fill can be latched, temporarily engaged or engaged only for one pattern loop cycle.

4 Likes

Because it’s quite a specific pattern I want to use as the substitute - a lot of p locking and probability trigs - something u have to prepare and can’t tap in on the fly. It maybe that the OT just isn’t quite the thing for this kind of drum-part-switching stuff (which is fine)

fill mode, clever use of parts, and copy/paste are the answers here. Make sure you’ve got all all three of those in your bag of tricks when thinking along these lines.

Thx for the ingredients, what does the recipe look like ?

1- Create the first pattern with the drums setup as you like them

2a- If you want to be able to perform the variation without switching patterns, use FILL/~FILL conditions to affect the variation on the existing track, then engage fill mode [DOWN]+[PAGE] to perform the variation.

2b.1- If you want or need to perform the variation with a pattern switch, and if the variation you want to create only differs from the original by trig changes, then copy the pattern to a different pattern and make the necessary edits to the trigs to affect the variation.

2b.2- If you want or need to perform the variation with a pattern switch, and if the variation you want to create differs from the original by machine changes, then copy both the part and pattern to a different part with a newly linked pattern and make the necessary edits to machines/trigs to affect the variation.

Naturally, it depends on what you’re trying to do.

You’re getting a lot of good answers/ideas in this thread. Make sure you try them all, and come to understand the differences between them.

4 Likes

Sorry, I don’t get it? Copying the pattern, including all trigs, p-locks etc. is just [Function] + [Rec] (rec led off) then change to a new pattern and pressing [Function] + [Stop].
Voila. Pattern duplicated in 1-2 seconds.
Now you could change what you wanted on one track.

Or do you have a lot of 1st trig conditions that you don’t want to reset by changing patterns?

1 Like

If you have a spare Track, you could have both Rracks in the same pattern and use the Arranger, or the Mixer or [FUNC]+Tx (where x is the Track number) to mute/unmute the track.

2 Likes

This use of pages is a neat idea :point_up: