Quick fix? Finicky power cord issue

So I’ve got a ticket open with Elektron but don’t expect to hear back for some time.

I’m having the issue with my OT where it just rerererererere starts and flashes and blinks and freezes and does everything BUT stay turned on. I’m curious if anyone knows any temporary solution before getting one from Elektron.

Thanks!

Got the same thing when i was using OT to my sofa…When i was moving it turned on/off constantly…The solution was to order a Power Connector spare part from Elektron and had a tech friend here to solder it…

1 Like

Gaffer tape.

1 Like

What is a “power connector”? Are you telling me the only solution is solder it? Onself? Not by Elektron? This seems like poor quality control to me…

Ok. Got some. What do I do with it?

What is the problem, anyway? Is it the PSU or the entry hole for the PSU?

Try insert the plug and then wiggle it until you find the sweet spot and then try to gaffer tape it in place. Very technical stuff.

1 Like

Man I don’t know if I can handle that. I might have to call my gaffer tape friend :wink:

If your Octatrack is still under warranty they will likely send you a new PSU if thats the problem.

1 Like

Is it the PSU that’s the problem or the plug insert point on the box? I certainly hope the former…

Elektron calls it power connector in their spare parts terms.Basically it’s that tiny component that your power supply connects to…It costs only 2.5€…I suggest you should open a ticket to technical support…They are very quick and helpful in their responses

2 Likes

If you move the cable around does it shut on and off intermittently? It is more likely to be the cable rather than the actual OT itself. I would not want to have it shutting on and off all the time as it can lead to electrical faults long term and also you will be prone to lose your work. So dont settle for the gaffer tape solution :slight_smile:

I had the same problem, Elektron sent me a new PSU to replace the problem one. I wouldnt trust doing the solder yourself route either. Even if you bought a new PSU its only 50 dollars. Small amount considering what you have already spent on the octatrack. But as I said, likely you might get one free if OT is under warranty.

2 Likes

I have. Projecting a response plus shipment of whatever piece seems like a long time to wait to use my OT. :frowning:

Today is a public holiday. They should respond tomorrow.

1 Like

Nono. Absolutely not. Just as a way to get up and running. But you are absolutely right. What’s the point of even running it if I’m going to just lose something…

And that worked?

Yes all fine now.

2 Likes

Okok. I’ll put it aside. :angry::angry::angry: Oh well tho. Thanks for your clear thinking :slight_smile:

Did you try just wobbling the connector a little whilst the OT is on? Does it shut on and off as you move it?

1 Like

If I don’t touch it, it causes the issue. If I hold it and apply a bit of pressure it’s fine. I tried gaffer (DUCT!!! what is the gaffer crap ;)) tape to do the same thing but, alas, no go.

You could try Sugru. It’s kinda permanent but would hold nicely if you get it to set in the right position. Personally I’d go support ticket route and pay for psu if necessary

2 Likes

Yeah alright. I’ll hold off on any another solution before I hear from Elektron. If nothing, I’ll come back and check with y’all.

2 Likes

Mine used to make electrical spark noises, it was brand new and it shut the OT off and on, dangerous for the gear but potentially for me also.

I just changed the cable completely from the power pack to the wall. I’ve now Got no stupid prong thing nor a daft connector for it to sit in and the supply is solid with no scary electrical shock noises. For such a great instrument with superb build quality that cable is beyond cheap and stupid and just not cool.