Questions re: using the Digitone as an audio interface, especially while using Overbridge

Hey all, how is it using the Digitone as your main audio interface (on Windows, with Ableton), especially while using Overbridge?

I have been eyeing the Digitone for a bit now, and even more so after falling in love with my Model:Samples (my first taste of Elektron haha), but my audio interface has been having issues lately, so I’d need to replace that first. But I know that the Digitone (and Digitakt) are marketed as audio interfaces after certain firmware updates, and since all I really need for an audio interface is two inputs, it seems like it could be a good option for me?

I can’t really find much info though, outside of a few support threads, so I’m curious if there are any downsides to this, especially on a Windows setup / with ASIO, or anything else I should know or consider?

I also saw some comments that implied that this could affect Overbridge somehow, but couldn’t find any details about that, so should I be concerned about any problems with Overbridge while simultaneously using the Digitone as an audio interface?

I asked elsewhere, and (some very helpful!) answers lead me to believe that audio through Overbridge should at least work fine while using the Digitone as an audio interface, but it’s unclear to me whether MIDI and total recall (the biggest selling point for me) would work too.

Thanks so much!

It’s no use case that i have wanted to try and nor do i see a way it can be ‘engaged’ as you have three USB modes

• USB MIDI
  • USB MIDI and CLASS COMPLIANT AUDIO
  • Overbridge (during which MIDI is supported)

So i’m not sure where your info came from, but it’s Overbridge or ClassCompliantAudio afaict

Overbridge mode facilitates audio soundcard-like audio inputs - so maybe that’s where teh confusion lies - but they are two distinct modes that can’t run concurrently - sounds like OB mode will be your best bet as there’s a bit of overlap - but there are constraints as it needs to use the plugin - so you can’t play itunes through it e.g.

1 Like

Makes sense! Thank you!

And okay, so I’d need an audio interface (or perhaps some software ASIO solution) to have low latency in Windows while also using Overbridge.

That makes sense and is doable–especially since I assume there are no issues with the Digitone transmitting audio on Windows alongside another audio interface because of the nature of Overbridge–and I guess having those two audio inputs on the Digitone would mean I could get a cheaper, single input audio interface too.

1 Like

Running two solutions together may work smoothly but it depends whether they are used in one application and as a Mac user I couldn’t comment on how fiddly that may be. Certainly lots of discussions about this already or maybe somebody else will chime in to clarify

1 Like

Thanks! I had trouble finding exact answers before, but now that I have a little more clarity about the Digitone-as-audio-interface situation, I think I have a better idea of what to look for, so I’m sure I’ll have more luck now.

Maybe I’ll check out if anyone has done a video showing Overbridge on Windows and describing their setup (I’m sure there are multiple).

Thanks again :blush:

EDIT:

An update for people who might come across this thread later ~

While I still do not have a Digitone (not sure when this will happen haha), and so I have not tested it, I watched some videos and looked at some threads (like this one and this one), and it seems that, yes, you can concurrently use the Overbridge plugin, streaming Audio and MIDI from the Digitone (and 'takt) via the plugin, and a normal audio interface with ASIO drivers on Windows, and it should work pretty smoothly, especially if you follow the startup tips Elektron recommends and also match the buffer size in Overbridge to the buffer size of your audio interface. There seems to be no need for ASIO4ALL tricks or anything like that Windows users would normally need to use to get functionality like Mac’s aggregate device options.

That said, I definitely see a lot of threads mentioning problems with older audio interfaces / soundcards that are fixed by upgrading to newer gear (e.g. here) and issues with MOTU audio interfaces (which is also mentioned in the Overbridge FAQ), so if you have an older interface or a MOTU, maybe try to confirm that there is no conflict with your specific interface.

1 Like

One thing I did notice that I thought was interesting, is that page 11 of the Overbridge manual mentions that on Windows inside Overbridge there is an “Enable ASIO” button, and it says:

Enable ASIO lets you enable the selected device to be used as an ASIO audio interface. All devices can be used as WDM audio devices, but only one device can have the ASIO role. This option is only available if the device has not previously been enabled. (Only available in Windows.)

It is a little confusing to me what the purpose of this would be if Overbridge doesn’t work at all when the Digitone etc is being used as an Audio Interface, but I also am 99% sure I am just missing or misunderstanding something haha, so thank you very much for your patience.

The joys of computers ! Ask Elektron for clarification

1 Like

Good idea, for some reason I didn’t even think to do that haha

1 Like

I got a response to my question and it seems that actually the answer to my original question is: yes! You can use it as an audio interface while using Overbridge :blush:

Thanks for contacting us!

You can absolutely use the Digitone as your main ASIO audio interface while also using the Digitone with the Overbridge plugin in Ableton. I’m surprised the answer seemed to be no when asking about this on the forum. Overbridge may perform a little bit better when not also using the device as audio interface (since that is less taxing for the CPU) but it is a very common use case to set up e.g. the Digitone as ASIO audio interface and using the Digitone plugin at the same time in a DAW and it should work well.

I just also wanted to take the opportunity to clarify that Overbridge isn’t related to MIDI really. Overbridge uses our proprietary protocol to communicate with the device, and you can send MIDI notes to the Overbridge plugin which are then classified as real-time sequencing notes and passed directly to the sound engine for high performance. You can also edit or automate parameters via Overbridge and the changes are instant. Sync and transport is also handled via the Overbridge plugin.

You can also use normal USB-MIDI while using Overbridge, but this is handled outside of Overbridge and will have the same latency as when not using Overbridge (and is not latency compensated via Overbridge). This can be good to know to get a better understanding of what Overbridge is.

Kind Regards,

Patrik - Elektron

4 Likes