Questions before I step up to an AR

Greetings Elektronauts!

This is my first post on the forum though I have been following for a while now. I have been using a Digitakt for nearly 1 year and am thinking of stepping up to an Analog Rytm as I am very keen on the performance scenes and advanced trigs such as accent and swing etc.

Before I make the move, I have a couple of quesitons about the AR

1. Can performance scenes control the FX track? For example pad 1 assigns a short delay to the snare and pad 2 assigns a longer delay? I’d like to quicly switch between delay and reverb times. Seems to be so in the manual but I wanted to check with people.
  2. Is the default tuning for synth engines C?
  3. As well as the DVCO, what other machines do people find to be the most melodic?

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks!

1. yes, sure. The performances can also be combined by pressing several pads down simultaneously, powerful stuff! I once connected some MIDI faders to my rytm for controlling the perf pads with, lots of fun to be had there :diddly:
  2. default tunings of the machines vary, IIRC the machines that were added later track chromatic pitch better than the original machines. Someone on this board made a tuning table of all the machines - was it @William_WiLD ?
  3. Hmm, hard to answer this one… all machines can be played chromatically (more or less), and you can use single cycle waveform samples to get all sorts of oscillator sounds. tbh I’ve no idea what “most melodic” means - you mean “least dissonant/atonal”?
3 Likes
  1. Samples.

Load that baby with samples, pick a track and go wild.

Single cycle, pianos, guitars, tin cans being hit with a dead fox… You can turn anything into something melodic.

3 Likes

Piggybacking off others’ answers:

1.) With the DT you can even control performance/scene with a MIDI track. Sooo good.

2.) Yeah the tunings are all over the place on the AR. You should calibrate it when you get it (let it warm up for a couple hours first). Tracking is tricky too. Might want to consider plocking the pitch. Also there’s a trick with an LFO where you can fine pitch tune…

3.) Anything is melodic if you make it so :wink:

2 Likes

First thing : Analog RYTM is the best modern drum machine ever ! You can think to others, bought, try… in this modern ERA where everything is layered on every nice sample collection out there (of course i may put that on quotes because of high end gear to processing the sounds before to sell the collection what’s setup anything higher in the punch, clarity, caracters etc…) I do think it is the BEST DRUM MACHINE EVER. And now with resampling internally you could even mix and process you layers on the machine itself without prepare you top layers before to load in the machine. So there’s a price to that, but “for me” if you have only one machine to buy for the studio it’s the Analog RYTM, and if it’s for a LIVE Performance only two machines to buy it’s the AR and the OT. Period for me.

1. Can performance scenes control the FX track?
    You can do anything for slight and precise automations to the most crazy destruction.

2. Is the default tuning for synth engines C?
    I’m responsible for the tunning table unfortunately I did not try this one because it wasn’t released at this time but the answer is probably YES

3. As well as the DVCO, what other machines do people find to be the most melodic?
    So the less dissonance will be with every drums where the bodies are the fundamental and can be tuned easily… so you open up the decay and release then you find your timbre then you can roll back the envelope to suit your needs… But crazy synth FMish sound can be achieves also by metal machine so often rides and stuff like that. inharmonic can be cool as well. Don’t forget you have layering options so you make all kind of small and mono synth sounds and playing chromatically. Just mind it’s mono ! of course you send to stereo"ish" parts in master effects section… depends of budget but still recommenced Mono for drums and basses - but still better to have a fully candidate for your stereo stuff and in this territory to me it’s OT-8 tracks and TORAIZ SP-16 tracks of STEREO materials (each one with there’s pros and cons)

I finally know what (for me) is the DREAM TEAM SET-UP

• Summing every guys in 16 or 22 analog mixer
    (like Soundcraft 22MTK, Tascam Model 24 or even Allen and Heat Qu series (for recall mixing settings by tracks)…
  • on the left I mention the drum machine : Analog Ryyyyyyyyytttmmmmmmm ! applause !!!
  • on the center on top of the mixer i mention the stereo couple (so much love there) Octatrack and Toraiz SP-16 what ? yes long materials and stereo drums on the OT short and playable STABS and other craziness on the TORAIZ (oh damn the filter is crazy on the SP-16 I love it)
  • on the right the analog FOUR sending it’s RAW sounds in the Analog HEAT MK2 for even warm sounds

And nothing more than that.
Maybe a Roland HPD20 with a percussionist friends it’s always nice to have some percussions and fx sounds improvisation on top. Also nice in studio when you want some real hands playing results ! unbeatable !!!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the really helpful replies. Very encouraging!
That’s great I can quickly switch fx track settings. If I make the move I’m hoping it will be my go-to machine.
I gues my 3rd question is subjective so will have to just try out the diffent machines and see - thanks for the tip @William_WiLD , I imagine creating a sub bass and a metalic sounding lead.

1 Like

LET your creativity to go : AT MAX
BE CRAZY as Hell !

Don’t forget to handle your frequencies one way or another ! you don’t want to kill people hears … but if you handle you craziness and frequencies you can DO whatever you want to DO.

Lose control on the creative sides and then handle your harshness frequencies so everything is in the place with just the craziness WICH is : YOU

But if you want to be SOUL and SOFT : you can too !
You decide !

I send you all the best for 2019 :wink: cheers

2 Likes

BEFORE DVCO, I used the Cowbell Classic (and eventually Cowbell Metallic) machines for melodies.
They’re two OSC machines with a detune parameter.
Fairly simple, so be sure to work that LFO!

6 Likes

melody on tom cb12 rim go crazy

Thanks for all the encouragment people. Well I can say I stepped up and am very happy. The sound of the AR can go deeep! You’re right about taming those frequencies :wink:

2 Likes