Question about the shape of my Recording

No i don’t think so. Looks to me like some kind of DC offset.

Try a different power supply to the performer just in case. If no change, different cables. Eliminate the simple things before it becomes complicated.

Really, I don’t know that it will help, but sometimes these situations are not a rational cause and effect, or at least not the direction we’re looking in.

2 Likes

I will eliminate the EHX Platform from my chain and replace it by the OTO Boum. :rofl:

The EHX was collecting dust before I retried it the other day. I really like its Sound and what it does to the incoming Audio, though.

1 Like

Some guitar pedals require what I think is called an isolated power supply, a power supply that provides an unshared connection between source and device. There are single adapter or for pedalboard there are brick type.

example:

I can’t say that it would change anything, but you could see if this requires an isolated supply. If you have an adapter to run it on a 9v battery (I know there’s no batt compartment), that’s a form of isolated supply but it would have to be a battery which could supply sufficient MAh I guess.

Mainly thinking of the suggestions around the unbalanced dc offset when suggesting this so don’t really have a lot else to go off of.

1 Like

It was discuss in this thread.

1 Like

Oh, nice! This will be of interest, thank you!

Don’t you think the original power supply should accomodate this?

1 Like

I would hope so, and just suggesting the possibility, but if it’s this supply then no it is not isolated:

9.6V / 200mA | Power Adapter - Electro-Harmonix (ehx.com)

they try to sell you this one for the pedalboard which is though.
MOP-D10 | Isolated Power Supply - Electro-Harmonix (ehx.com)

However, if it does not include an isolated supply, you’d think it doesn’t need it. But I’m just trying to think of something you can try.

1 Like

And for that, I really appreciate your involvement @shigginpit! :heart::pray:

Like I said on the first days you’ve joined Elektronauts, you are a great add-on to this Community!

2 Likes

If you have any Walrus pedal and you already own this finch power supply, you could try that.

Finch 9v DC 500mA Power Supply (walrusaudio.com)

Otherwise, you’ll have to check and see if something you own has a similar isolation circuit by checking online. Also, your idea to replace with Boum of course works, but you purchased the ehx pedal so it would be nice if you could use it as well.

thank you for your kindness!

1 Like

Doesn’t look ok. Although this looks show similar as a waveform with dc offset, the softer parts in the waveform seem quite centered. It Looks like the amplifier reacts asymmetrical pushed above some threshold of signal level or a frequency range. I recommend to run a noise generator and record it while increasing the level. Next a frequency sweep with a sine wave or whatever.
Although some analog gear can introduce some kind of asymmetrical waveform due to harmonics i doubt the top and bottom should differ that much. How many Db difference are we looking at (doesn’t show on the picture).

1 Like

It’s not DC offset, it’s a lopsided or asymmetrical waveform.

My platform doesn’t do this but i had the same thing happening to some of my tracks over the years. I don’t know exactly what causes this and am to lazy to further investigate.

1 Like

What did you do about it, re-record them or you just left them as they were?

Left it like it is. If you compress the signal it evens out the waveform. It’s not optimal if you would want to master it perfectly because you would cut too much of the signal but

“Generally, there is no need to ‘correct’ a naturally asymmetrical signal, but occasionally the asymmetry can restrict how much the signal can be amplified because the stronger half of the waveform will reach the clip level before the weaker side.”

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-why-do-waveforms-sometimes-look-lop-sided

I just compressed or limited the waveform until it was as loud as i like without ruining the sound.

1 Like

A different take (I have this sometimes, even after correcting for DC offset, when recordings are quite dynamic): This is a quite long audio clip - how do the wave forms look when you “zoom in”, for example to a length of 4-5 sec. instead of 60 seconds? In my experience, things tend to start looking “normal” once you get to a reasonable temporal resolution.

2 Likes

I’ll look into this when I get home from work. Thank you!

If it were DC Offset, the entire recording would be offset, not just some parts of it.

2 Likes

Oh, interesting! Thank you @Jeanne! I guess I have nothing to worry about?

No

1 Like

Don‘t want to be that guy, but if there is a constant offset to a signal, it‘s per definition a DC offset… the amount doesn‘t have to be linear to the input signal.