Question about Prophet 12

i own a P08 myself… and i know what you mean… its sounds warm, but i dont like the OSC with wide open filters… my modular sounds much better here… so the P08 is always more a backing filler and the sounds are not anymore “lead or main, but solid fill up”.

be careful with the P12. it has the old lowpass-filter and it sounded a bit too plastic for me… when i tested it, the pro2 with the new filter sounded much more amazing!!! and at least it has a) a cool sequencer, b) much better DCO sounds and filter … sounds much more “state of the art modulation” to me. for simple chords you can also play it somewhat polyphonic and the solo leads really blow away my mind :slight_smile:

OB6 sounds great, but i think you will end up with better sounding filter and VCOs, but still with the same sound capabilities like an P08… so not a game changer for you.

Did you ever thought of a virus TI2?.. i am still thinking about this one… its sounds huge and has a wide range of sounds…

what i like most about DSI is the way you can play this instrument… the knobs, ranges, the keys… i feels like a grown up performance instrument… still you can get more crazy or special stuff with other synths :-))

If youre mainly looking for big pads, wanting analog, not in to OB6, want lots of modulation options… I’d maybe wait for deepmind reports to come in. If it’s just the build quality that’s putting you off like you said. That synth looks pretty great for pads, the onboard fx sound useable. No real onboard sequencer etc tho. Dunno if they plan to add one later. But could save yourself a lot of money if it turns out to be solid if that’s the only concern stopping you. I think behringer will be pretty heavy on quality control/build on the deepmind otherwise their synth division will be over before its begun…

1 Like

I consider Ti2 as an option too… there are few issues which are putting me off; the total integration is great for editing your sounds, but I never managed to create a profile without a latency; so I used it without it as any other synth. The other thing which drove me mad was that every time I switched the pc on, the virus would become my main audio interface … no matter how many times I disabled it😩. And again I couldn’t get a decent VA sounds out of it… it was ok for VA bass, fantastic on ambient digital sounds, but on pads I could clearly hear the difference. Kemper hasn’t updated it for years so when (if) he decides to make another synth then the value of the Ti2. wound drop enough to make me cry. So I’ll probably get a used module… when I grow up🤔

that would be a long wait :scream:

I’ve wanted a P12 for years now. Personally, I love the sound of digital plus analog filters, like Prophet VS or ESQ-1 (which I regrettably sold). I know this is nerdy, but seeing as how it’s so much money, I read the manual first to see if it was a synth I could handle - I’m not a fan of overly-complex or convoluted menu diving.

It’s been a while, but I remember putting the P12 on my “someday I shall have this!” list, because the manual was so clear and well-written that it made the synth, including modulation assignments, all seem so immediate and intuitive.

The module looks really well thought out, but I would miss all the knobs. If you are not lacking in space, I’d wait to get a good deal on used keyboard version.

If it were me, I’d wait until after NAMM. Just googled this, haven’t read it.

That Ensoniq was my second synth… lovely machine.

You don’t like deep menu diving? What are you doing here on EN? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Really good point re: waiting for NAMM​:+1::+1::+1:

Ha. Good point. I tend to tolerate menu-diving if the sound is worth it or if it’s logical and intuitive enough. But I gravitate towards knob-per-function machines, like most people I guess. I think that’s why I sold the ESQ-1, but I still miss its magical sound. I felt the P12 could be a knobby replacement for it, but too much $$$ for me right now. Someday… someday…

Sold an A4, Machinedrum UW, and a Rytm because all the tiny screen menus were driving me nuts. Honestly had way more fun with a TR-8 during that period. But… bought a second Rytm because I missed the sound. I think for me having only one Elektron machine works well. I don’t see how people use all of them at once. Would drive me bananas.

Yeah, if you can stand it, wait for NAMM. Personally, I’m excited to see if DSI brings something to replace the lower-priced lineup like Tetra and Mopho. Or a six voice version of P12 with OB filters. Been dreaming of that one for a while.

The Ti2 is a GREAT workhorse synth. No VA keyboard comes close. 16 part multi timbrality and the latest virus software worked no prob without latency on my macbook pro late 2013.

I’ve owned 3 of them and thats because each time I got a little fed up with the sound. Was too digital… But - to be fair… there were so many patches I really mever gave it the attention it deserved to synthesize from scratch. Thats a problem with synths that come with so many factory patches… i was put off by the menu diving and instead fiddled with existing patches thanks to their immediacy.

The build is fantastic, Fatar keybed is awesome… could them come up wih Ti3? Maybe yes but theyve been around for so long their prices have stabilised now. And they will soon become classics if they stop making them. By the way, it has a wicked Moog emulation filter…

six voices of p12 with OB filters… you are my favorite human :totes:

as I written above… I used to have the Ti2 Snow which has the same sounds… just more limited DSP… the bass sounds I got from it were just enormous… and some ambient plucks I made… with that beautiful reverb… awesome. But I sold it… and haven’t really missed it… I’ve got a MOOG so no need for emulation. And (I know people would hate me for saying that… I could pretty much do all the Virus sounds on Massive/Omnishere… they only need a little help from outboard fx’s but that’s it. So yeah… the virus is on my list… but somewhere at the bottom. The only synth I sold and… regretted everyday since, was Korg MS 20.

Ha! I’m sure Dave Smith will replace me as your new favorite human if he brings that out at NAMM. Love me some OB filter. Btw, the ones in OBXd and Diva are great fun, for software.

I bought the P12 today, so far i am really happy with it, it was Virus TI vs the Prophet at the end, and it has a lot of good presets where i think they would be usable. (Not that i would use them - but the achievable sound is very good.)

I think synth needs time - it took me a while untill i learned the A4, and it will take me a while untill i can do the prophet the way i want it.

Major decision factor was that the prophet had mod envelopes and the TI doesnt, i thought i would miss that - because the mod envelopes on the A4 are so much fun to toy around with.

Also the interface is very clean, and structured.

1 Like

Oh… i’m so jealous… I think I’ll wait for a while to see what NAMM will bring. Would you post some samples of your patches when you got to it? BTW I just noticed you are from Frankfurt… my family is from Offenbach :wink:

P12 doesn’t use Digitally Controlled Oscillators (DCOs), which is what you find in the Analog Four.
It uses DSP based digital oscillators.
There is a huge difference.

Same goes for the NL4, and Pro 2. These are not DCOs.

1 Like

Youre right, i meant to just say digital oscillators. Nonetheless not a huge fan, nor of the curtis LP filter.

Neither am I.
But the P12 is the DSI synth that overcomes the curtis filter design the best.

DSI came to a new level with the Pro 2, P6, and OB6.

1 Like

I try to send bank changes to the P12 module - it seems not to change the bank - program change works.
I.e. i send from the octatrack programm 12, and it selects programm 12 in bank U1 - (+1) .
But how do i change the bank ? Any ideas?

2 Likes

That helps a lot - i have an i connect midi 4 - if i remap the message that should do the trick, i hope.

1 Like

Can somebody chime in with knowlege of the i connect midi 4 ? I could remap - but only to certain destinations - i.e.
remap to Midi CC 3,9 but not to CC32.

Ok, got it - there is actually a dropdown list of, which is scrollable - didnt see that at first. Works now like a charm.
Very comfortable the i connect midi 4 device.