Question About External Effects

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to make sure that I’m recording my MD in the best way possible. Basically, I have two separate, balanced TRS cables running out of the MD’s main outs, left and right. They are going in to inputs one and two on the front of my Focusrite interface, and then within Ableton I have a separate track armed for each channel/input of the Focusrite (as opposed to one stereo track). Gravy.

My question is…since there are dedicated outputs for both left and right, how would I go about running the MD through something like a delay pedal? Would it have to be a special pedal with left and right inputs on the back? Obviously I wouldn’t want to just effect the left or right channel, and adding the pedal after the interface in the chain isn’t an option, since the Focusrite obviously goes in to my computer via USB.

Sorry for what’s clearly a very stupid question, but I’m admittedly dense when it comes to even the most basic of audio engineering…

Unless you have a stereo FX pedal (with dual inputs) you’d have to send only one channel from the MD. And possibly give up stereo separation in that part of the signal chain. But if you DO have a stereo delay pedal… Stereo imaging can be kept. Which is probably cool!

I did a video a few weeks back, using an external pedal with my Monomachine. Now I don’t own a MD, so I don’t remember how that’s set up with separate outputs and/or input/thru/FX machines. But maybe you can gain some inspiration.

3 Likes

Awesome…Your video actually helped clear up a lot of questions I had about bussing/sending sounds out of MD. Very cool setup with the Infinite Jets as well. Thank you!

1 Like

On a tangent: I have a mono delay pedal (EHX Deluxe Memoryman) that I pseudo-stereo by running the output through an EHX Stereo Pulsar tremolo. Works great for getting a panning / ping-pong echo.

Though I’m lusting after an Eventide Timefactor which does proper stereo. I have the Eventide Space and it’s fantastic.

1 Like

Another option is to use output C of the MD as your effect channel. Any sound you want to go through the delay, just set the output to C and there it is. It’s might not be ideal if you want to control send level, but it is still an option.

1 Like

you need a stereo effect processor or guitar pedal, if you want to plug the MD directly into it. otherwise, you can connect the MD only over its left audio channel to the effects and operate it in mono. but since the MD sounds are actually mono, it’s not as tragic when you use Mono effect pedals/processors. the MD is only a bit stereo, when you use its master effects Delay, Reverb, EQ and Compressor. Stereo Analog Reverb and Delay effect pedals, as a example, are quite rare and also a bit more expensive than digital ones. anyways…i got a EHX Memory Man with Harazai Delay Pedal last week. it is Digital but at least in Stereo. i use it as send effect on my mackie. nice sounding delay effects. up next i’ll purchase a EHX Cathedral Reverb, i think.

Depending on what you want to achieve. If you have a stereo fx pedal just run the MD thru there ( if you feel that is the actual sound you want at the end of the day) and then to your interface (or mixer).

If you have the option to add FXs on your DAW then do that or use both. Once the tracks are recorded with the FX on the same main line and then you want to adjust that, you won’t be able to so be mindful of that.

MD sounds great with a bit of reverb, make the sound take a more stable form.