PWM Speed - what happens to the sound from 113 to 127?

Not noticed this before so dunno if it’s always been this way…

Starting with a new default sound, i set an Osc’s PWM Depth to 100 and then increase the PWM Speed. Sounds fine up til 112, but the sound changes abruptly from 113 up to 127. What’s going on here? Is the sound change by design? I can’t find an explanation for what happens to the modulation here on the forums nor in the manual. Hoping someone could shed some light here thanks.

1 Like

Isn’t the LFO going into audio range ?
That would explain the drastic change in tone.

2 Likes

it’s easier to audition this with a square and setting depth lower and much lower osc tuning - you notice the rate tending to pick up rapidly in the preceding steps leading to 113, it then tips over into a range that introduces audible artefacts that are a bit like aliasing, the frequency of these artefacts drops as you take speed up to 127

maybe it’s an odd choice of rate range, but there could be a solid reason why the rate extends so high - it does sound like the journey leading up to 113 as the rate is cranked up is ended somewhat abruptly - might be worth seeking an insight into this

2 Likes

heh… that’s what my orig post was asking :slight_smile:

Like you said it sounds a bit like aliasing - not exactly a sound I’d expect from pwm. We can get all manner of grizzly sounds with the A4/AK but I’m not sure this one is wholly intentional. I’ll send a ticket and see what they say. Cheers

1 Like