PWM Malevolent

Me too…
I’d especially want to know if parameters are controllable via CCs, but 99% sure they’re not.

1 Like

Not via midi, but with cv (conclusion after watching a lot of vids).
I passed on Malevolent, I wont buy a keyboard again, only if my keystep dies. I simply don’t have space. :joy:

1 Like

Here is Nick Batt’s review

I think it kind of might be my kind of synth if:
I didnt already have an MS20.

3 Likes

Makes me wish I could get on with semi-modular synths, it sounds so juicy! It has a bubbly, growly character that oozes charm.

If this company release a drum machine I’ll be all over it.

If they release a version without a keyboard I’ll be all over it.

3 Likes

Yeah or that. It’s got a certain charm to it that I like, but not really anything I can’t already do with what I’ve got. Plus it’s pig ugly.
Clip on side panels, why. Just makes it bigger than it needs to be. Some odd choices.

I… kind of like it.

It’s got a 90’s charm to it - I suspect we’ll be seeing more of this aesthetic as we start to phase out of the 80’s pastiche.

I would have preferred it in black/grey/white/red like my childhood bedroom.

Yea this is really odd - but quirky odd - it’s quirky.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s no fun to look at, but Future Sound Systems make some fucking awesome modules and this is a great way of getting a bit of that Finlay Shakespeare magic without spending a fortune.

I hope this does well enough that it gives Finlay the confidence to start making more complete synths.

If they carry on working with Finlay, it’ll probably be a development of this…

4 Likes

Oh I had no idea the association with Finlay! Equally I was looking at that Portland synth on Thonk the other day and didn’t realise the association.

I like Finlay - his Patchnotes performance is one of my favourites of all time.

3 Likes

Yeah man, so much better than most of the chinstrokers they have on that series.

I hate to be that guy but man those sounds do nothing for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Finlay is really respected though isn’t he? They guys in Elevator Sound were talking about him the other day, he came into the shop and did a presentation the other day:

also comes with a 10% off code. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, not my favourite set of drum sounds.

1 Like

This man knows how to play a synth! Seriously, he’s sold me on the Malevolent and I don’t even want one! Ludicrously nice guy to boot.

3 Likes

I got a hold of a Malevolent to try out, and shared some of my thoughts…

I actually like how it looks. The clip on panels make a bit more sense when you realise it let’s you more easily rack mount the thing, but it seems a bit odd - I’m not sure why they didn’t have them screwed in. But hey…

5 Likes

Gonna watch this soon, thanks! It’s a lovely machine and I enjoyed my two sessions on it but I’m just too much of a modular dunce to get pleasing sounds out of it haha

1 Like

Tried it at perfect circuit. The filter was nice, it was beefy, but I didn’t enjoy actually using it. It was noisy and didn’t behave quite how I expected even after watching a few videos.

1 Like

Have to agree… it does behave differently than my other synths…

But it does sound great… It has immediate savage growl, which on my other synths, I have to dial in by max, and not have as much variety of growling…

Does anyone know of a manual out there?

I don’t know what all the knobs do exactly.

And I wonder what the patch point voltage is… The Moog semimodular are +/- 5…

I think I read that it might be 10… then i might not use them with out the beatstep between them.

Please!! i need a manual too! I just bought it, and I have no idea what the knobs do!

Just a short user guide but maybe it’s enough for you to get started.

1 Like

Seems there’s not much more than the quick start guide on the support part of the website.

If you havent already looked at it, give this video a watch, it’s basically a video manual.

2 Likes