Push to digitakt users

I think, as someone suggested in another thread, I might just grab a launchpad pro and roll cheap for a while. I have a midi fighter twister already, so that in combo with the launchpad should give me enough control. that will tide me over for now until some other time down the line… :boom:

2 Likes

Had a Launchpad for a while, and it just pales in comparison to the push IMO. However, I scored a beatstep pro for 50 dollars and it’s been quite great with my modular as well as drums in ableton. I’m going to use it until i save up enough for the digitakt!

1 Like

I have a Push 1 and really like composing on it because of the scales and the 64 button user interface. When I am finished composing I record the midi tracks on the digitakt for using it in my liveset.

All percussive things will be made after composing directly on the Digitakt.

4 Likes

change of plans. Was able to pick up a digitakt for a little over a hundred dollars off. So I’m going to try it out for the next couple of months and see if it compares to the immediacy of my workflow with the ableton push.

2 Likes

Cool. $100 off is pretty dern good.

I’m coming around on the Digitakt. Once they get OverBridge released and a few of the bugs worked out I’ll probably grab one too. I love using Ableton and Push. I don’t think much can beat it for immediacy, ease of use, and plain old getting songs made. And I can’t afford any hardware synths that sound as good (imo) as Diva, Repro, Phonec, OBXd, etc. so I enjoy my ITB sounds and results.

But it would be nice to have a Digitakt and headphones laying around for when I don’t feel like booting up the computer. In fact, I can picture myself getting rid of most of my hardware synths and fx in 2018 to slim down to those two choices.

1 Like

Agreed. I know I’m not alone in wishing Ableton would make a mini/micro version of the Push that was just the pads and grid for drum sequencing. I originally purchased a Push for melodic purposes while I was learning to play the keyboard. Once I got comfortable with the keys, I sold the push and then immediately regretted it because I took for granted how easy it was to create great drum loops with it.

BUT, let’s see what the Digitakt can do when it arrives next week :slight_smile: .

Alrighty! I’ve had the Digitakt for almost 3 months now. And there are some things I really really like about it. The main feature that has taken me by surprise is sequencing my eurorack with it. The ability to switch to different midi channels with a push of a button and parameter locking notes to send to the euro has been too much fun. For that reason alone, I’m going to stick with the digitakt.

It’s still not a push replacement or competitor to me and the way I prefer to create music. I love the sequencer on push and the immediacy of changing a sequence on the fly. Granted, back when I had a push, I owned it for years, so I was very comfortable with the workflow.

That being said, I’m not going to buy another push, or sell the digitakt. I’m done! The digitakt is is here to stay and I look forward to familiarizing myself with the rest of it’s capabilities.

Hope this is helpful to anyone in the future who finds themselves choosing between Push or Digitakt.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t think there’s a comparison. I own a Push 1, which I bought soon after release, and I’ve probably used it under 50 times since. I’ve played guitar for 20 years and know my way around a piano keyboard, and the Push felt like it was trying to stick me into a box at every opportunity, like music theory was somehow an inconvenience it needed to protect me from. I get along far better with a regular midi keyboard, even for drum parts. On top of that, since I mostly use VSTs in Ableton, if I have to manually map everything to encoders before starting, I preferred just using a mouse and skipping that bit. I’m sure the Push 2 addresses some of that, but I wasn’t willing to pay again. A Push Mini, like @plainjanefrancis mentioned above, and I would reconsider. But then there’s already the BeatStep…

The Digitakt, on the other hand, has opened up my creativity in terms of electronic music more than any device I’ve ever owned. It’s broad while not trying to be the master of all trades. And the KeyStep means I can play the Digitakt however I like, and then still have a fantastic controller for Ableton in the same box. I’ve also sampled all of the VSTs I use most (Razor, Monark, Dexed, Prism) into the Digitakt, so it really covers everything except mixing right now TBH.

3 Likes

I’m a Push2 owner that’s looking to get a Digitakt.
I miss my OP-1 for it’s fun but know that if I get one again I’ll find it’s restrictions frustrate me and never knock any polished stuff out of the thing. I see the Digitakt being a lot similar to the OP-1 in the sense of fun and bascially just doing stuff you’d never do on another device but is still capable for me to produce quite polished stuff. Maybe even start stuff on it then finish (polish) on the computer.

I spend my days at work in front of a computer screen, get home have dinner, once the baby is down and the place is cleaned up it’s about 9.00pm when I get to finally relax. I’d rather spend this cuddled up on the sofa with a little synth or sampler than sitting hunched at a computer for even more hours. That’s not “fun”!

3 Likes

I gave up on the Push 2 once I got my Maschine MK3. It was so much more fun and user friendly, leading me to much better results and less fiddling around. Then I added a Digitakt and my workflow changed. I just couldn’t vibe with the P2 (even though I adored my Push 1, I would definitely buy one again for the right price.) These days I rock the Maschine MK3, Digitakt, a Launchpad Pro (using Bome’s midi translator to give it most of the Push’s functionalities like browsing etc) and hopefully today my Circuit will be here. I enjoy having a set up that can be used with OR without the computer. I’ve never felt so free. Plus, having more mediums to work with keeps me constantly inspired. Check out my Instagram (@datamakesfirebeats) and you’ll see that my Push videos were always the least musical or complete, whereas my Digitakt/Maschine/LPP combo has me churning out crazy stuff almost daily. But to each his own, I know many people who would hate my set up and would rather just have the one be-all controller. If Ableton made a Push mini with standalone midi functionality I would probably get it, for the right price that is.

Was making beats on Maschine (Jam controller). Also used 2 NI X1Mk2 to control 3/4 tracks in Traktor.
I have now set up Jam as replacement for the 2 X1Mk2 (took me 3 months to develop a TSI file…) And also use it to control Korg Bass and Keys.
Digitakt has easily replaced Maschine for making beats and tracks in the end :slight_smile:

I have been using push 2 for a long time … if you produce with ableton, it is a fundamental tool, that if you use it once you can no longer do without it !! Now I have recently added to my instrumentation the digitakt … with overbridge I think together with push 2, I will have a lot of fun there !!

1 Like

I just got a Push to complement my Digitakt. I’ve been using it via Overbridge, with Ableton as an always-on companion for grabbing clips, and for arrangement duties.

Who knows where it will end up, but I got the Push for playing notes and drums, into the Digitakt and anywhere else. And also for knob control of Ableton’s devices, sends, and so on.

So far I’m not a fan of the Push’s sequencer, but that’s now why I got it. Plus, I can record the DT’s MIDI into it if I like, and manipulate further with Push.

I wasted a few weeks trying to hook up various old MIDI controllers to Ableton in “blue-hand” mode, but everything was clunky. The push seems way smoother in this regard.

I prefer to use keyboard and mouse for some things, but the Push means you can choose when to use knobs and pads. Quite impressed so far.