Push to digitakt users

Hi all!

Are there any ableton push users that have switched to the Digitakt or any users who chose one over the other? I’ve owned a push in the past and it was the only way I could make beats that I actually liked in a very quick manner. Ended up selling mine to a friend to help him start his music production journey. Now I’m back in the market for a beat machine, and I’m looking at a used push1 (cause it’s cheap and I don’t need the fancy push 2 screen) and the Digitakt. I’m leaning more towards push because I like the step sequencer and pads. Of course As I’ve used Elektron machines I’m a huge fan of their boxes so now I’m coming to those of you who have been, or are in, my same position. What device did you choose and why?

p.s. my current set up is ableton, a eurorack, AK and OP-1.

This post has me wishing that my push was a stand-alone device.

3 Likes

That would be pretty cool. Or even a maschine mikro sized push that was strictly for drum sequencing would be cool too.

I sold my Push(2) as soon as I got my MPC Live. My Maschine + Maschine Jam are on the way out as well.

In fact I haven’t opened Ableton Live since getting the MPC. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best thing I’ve used for composition that’s not a DAW. Some bug fixes and improved USB/MIDI host capabilities would be nice, but even as it stands it’s pretty much all I’ve ever wanted in a “hub” machine.

3 Likes

Ditto. MPC Live rocks.

Last night I got into the Q-Link assignments. Mapped some CCs to my Rytm and A4. Really good stuff. I’m not comfortable with being this content with a piece of gear. Like I don’t need or want anything else. Weird

1 Like

Spend some time with single cycle waves in keygroup programs. There’s a maximum of 128 keygroups per program, and a maximum of 4 waves per keygroup. This means that if you had the patience, you could theoretically build a patch with 512 oscillators if you want.

+1 for that idea. A 4x4 mini sized Push with a smaller LCD and fewer knobs would be really cool. The Push is way too big, that’s really my only gripe with it. It is a fantastic bit of kit, especially since they added Simpler slicing.

Aside from pad size/layout is there anything MPC Live offers that tops the digitakt? I’m a fan of the step sequencer in push and it looks to be pretty similar in digitakt.

I started out on MPC1K and 500. Made my first two projects with them, but once I started using ableton more, I couldn’t get them to sync with the clock without lagging so I ended up letting them go. But that was years ago.

1 Like

There’s a lot on the Live that tops the Digitakt, but one’s an Elektron step sequencer, and one is a MPC pad based sequencer. It’s really hard to compare them. From a functional point of view they can both be redundant, and you could look at it solely from the perspective that if you can settle for 4 notes per step / 4 bars / 8 tracks of MIDI then you can grab a DT for half the price of a Live. But it’s not that simple.

The Digitakt has a quicker 0-60 time, the MPC has a higher top speed. I like 'em both quite a lot.

6 Likes

MPC Live v Digitakt

One thing I can think of is a true Song Mode on the MPC Live. Also, the Convert to Sequence is a very useful feature within Song Mode.

Another big thing I would say are Kits (Programs on the MPC) are not tied to the patterns.

Yes, I agree. You can obtain same results on both machines. I have fun manipulating samples, and the crazy stuff I come up with on the Live, can be achieved on the Digitakt.

1 Like

MPC Live does not have a free running LFO…or P-Locks

1 Like

For Push vs Digitakt, you can “sort of” p-lock stuff on the Push but its quite a bit more awkward than it is in the Elektron sequencer. Not only is it a bit weird to get to the right page, you are basically just drawing an automation envelope in Ableton for a single step (even if your note / release is longer).

I have a Push 2 that saw a massive reduction in use when I got the Digitakt, and I could potentially even see myself doing away with it in the future.

This is def the reason I want to get one. I already got rid of the Push 2. Part of what frustrates me about Push is it’s bulky size, but that also in the end it’s really a glorified midi controller. It is magical to use however, but in practice however it’s simply not as they advertise it in the grandiose Berlin warehouse apartments all on a table by itself without a laptop in sight. The fact is a Push requires an audio interface and a laptop to truly function as intended, but the Digitakt is really 3 devices in one. That said, Abletons Loop event was quiet on the hardware front last year, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they have some big news come this years event in November. Truly, I would love a standalone Push, whether or not I have a Digitakt by November is up for grabs, but a lot has happened since Push 2 and Live 9.5 and I imagine Ableton are readying themselves to knock one out of the park.

2 Likes

i’m actually thinking about selling push2 + ableton, to fund digitakt, it’s been ages since i had so much GAS for something, i like how extremely fast digitakt can be, also i love mangling samples with kontakt, and almost anything i do with kontakt can be done easily on digitakt, so the more i look at digitakt videos the more i understand that it is made for me + additional bells and whistles, and it is limited in such way that it really doesn’t bother me…push 2 is amazing but at the end of the day i start ableton and my push and it’s way too much of everything, that it kinda kills a bit of creativity.

P.S.: new user here, so hello everybody :slight_smile:

Depends how you use Push I guess
If you are using it just to program beats, then I can see DT as an alternative.
Push 2 for me is far more than a machine to program beats.
It controls every track, instrument and effect within Ableton, whereas DT is a simple drum sampler. Looks fun but honestly can’t see any advantages of DT over Push.
It’s like two different worlds in my eyes and can’t be compared imo.
But that’s just my workflow, everyone works different and i can understand someone else’s preference for a box like the DT.
It’s all good

4 Likes

I think there is a lot to consider here… Push is an investment: requires Ableton Live, requires an audio interface, requires you to be on stage with a lot of $$$ worth of gear, set up time (minimal, but still a thing).

Are you in studio or on stage? Both? In what capacity?

Digitakt is one thing. That’s it. Many find limitations inspiring, and a lack of distractions to be very efficient.

I have both. So, I’m not looking at your decision making tree… I HATE the computer as a distraction, and keep it on the floor over by the drummer on stage. However, I had to go through quite a set up to get the Live set and Push stage-ready to feel like an instrument. I haven’t gotten the Digitakt on stage yet. But, I’m working on a non-laptop set with Digitakt, Moog Minitaur, OP1, and Boomerang III looper (midi sync’d!) for my sax rig. Gonna be wild!

2 Likes

Great points!

I produce out my home studio. I don’t perform live at least not yet. And I mix and master everything in Ableton. I still create most of my sounds OTB. I use my OP1, AK and eurorack for creating all the sounds. But what is clear to me is that my drum production is always lacking. I know plenty of people who take a mouse and click away and create incredible beats. But the mouse is huge turn off when I’m working on creating music. It really takes me out of the moment. So I’m looking at a used push or a new digitakt to be my drum machine.

When I had the push, creating midi drum clips really was a breeze, so I’m still leaning towards the familiarity of that controller. But the sampling OTB capabilities of digitakt, alongside elektrons P-Locks have me questioning which road to take. However a used push is $200 dollars. That price is pretty compelling.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got the right argument going in your head. I’ll tell you this - the p-locks, conditional trigs, LFO, and live record mode (for parameters) on the Digitakt make workflow a breeze! No mouse… just head bobbin’! Since I got the Digitakt, my drums have way more life with way less effort than sequencing in Ableton. I can do it in Ableton, but it’s a lot of little cuts and mouse work… bleh. I still do it, but only when I hear a thing in my head. The Digitakt is more like a drummer that I gave a few notes to, and she or he just puts a spin on it. ALSO - I do a lot more than just drums / percussion on the thing. The midi sequencing tracks have really forced me to do some wild shit I would not have done on the Push.

1 Like

I found myself in this really awkward spot where I seem to be selling my Elektron gear in favor… in favor of what next I’m not sure. Part of me wants a DT, the other a Push 2 (again). I really enjoyed my black Elektrons for a good few years, but in all honesty - I completed nothing. Great fun, great sounding. But basically jam boxes to me which are difficult to manage. So I’m really feeling this ITB phase coming back on, but as soon as you leave the Elektron world things feel very keyboard and mouse. That’s the amazing thing about Elektron machines - the tactility. It’s fantastic. Maybe the best flow out there. It’s saving and kits and and all that jazz that throws me off to this day. But in the end I just need some money. And honestly, felt a bit burned by the MKii releases. The price drop of the A4’s hurt a bit. Dunno if I wanna keep playing that game. Anyway, on to different pastures. I’ll be listing my Rytm soon. I never thought I’d say that. And without any Elektron gear I doubt I will be on here as much. But for now it’s feeling like a second hand Push 2 is where I’ll end up. A DT would be sweet, but it’s just had such a whack release that I can’t bring myself to buy one. Not least till there’s a new OS out. Push 2 I know is solid af. I still wish Ableton would release a half-size version, but in it’s absence, I guess I gotta go for the big one. And that’s part of why I want a DT - portable beats. Its less of a commitment and investment than the analogs, which feel like a waste if you don’t end up using them properly. The DT can just be a Sunday drive kind’ve machine that’s there. Fingers crossed for an OS update soon. Be keen to see what that brings.

It’s an endless cycle isn’t it? This is how I get with too much hardware laying around. Plugging and unplugging things - my true hobby. Buying, selling, updating, upgrading, rearranging, searching for the perfect ergonomic setup, etc. Software has its share of distractions too, for sure, but I always seem to actually complete songs when more software than hardware is involved.

I think, for me, it’s about balance. I’ve realized when I go too much ITB, or OTB, I slowly begin to yearn for something different. Unfortunately, it’s a totally human thing to crave novelty. What’s worked for me is just to keep a few favorite pieces of hardware, dump the unproductive ones, and strip it down in general.

Selling off a bunch of gear soon. I realize now what I’ve struggled with for years was buying hardware based on good reviews, features and functionality, and build quality. All that should be paid attention to, of course. But what matters most to me in the end is basic sound (duh! right?). Does the general tone tickle my brain? How quickly can I get to that point in the sound design process? How large is the sweet spot? Does it have only one preset I like? Does it take forever to dial something in? What does it sound like in the final track? What does it matter if I can make any sort of blip or bleep with the MS20 for instance, if I don’t enjoy the overall tone? It looks cool as fuck, sure, but I never end up using it any more than free soft-synths. I should like the Minilogue more than the Volca Keys, right? The ML is built like a tank, and can do so much more on paper. But I still prefer the V Keys when all is said and done. Listening, just listening, objectively has helped me strip things down in my setup.

Maybe ask - Elektron gear can do anything under the sun… but do I like the general tone? Am I productive with it? For me, gear = tool to make a song. I can’t afford to have a synth museum. If it’s not being used, it’s time for it to go.

But, I totally understand wanting a “Sunday drive” piece as well. For me it’s the Rytm. Do I need it? No. But it’s a nice tactile way to sequence things - either synced to Ableton, or by itself on the couch building the skeleton of a track. I’ve even thought of trading it for a Digitakt sometime in the future. I love the simplicity and overall sound/tone/crispness of the DT compared to the Rytm’s superpowers and somewhat muffled tone.

But… I’ve learned the hard way to not be an early adopter of Elektron products, or any modern tech really. If the Rytm was any indication, the DT won’t be on my radar for purchase for another year or so. I felt the Rym wasn’t really ready until the 1.3 release, which took… quite a while.

I say grab a Push 2, enjoy the Ableton 10 upgrade and milk that for all it’s worth. Then, by the time you are jones’ing for something new and different, the Digitakt will hopefully be updated and working smoothly. My two cents.

4 Likes