Push rotary encoders for Machinedrum & Analog 4 MKI - replacement part

Does anyone know where I could get replacement encoders for MD? I saw a couple of threads showing replacement process but no mention what part was used.

Start with Elektron Support. They seem plenty helpful and can either supply you a part or point you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Done it already. Thanks.
I have found part name for octatrack mki
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/PEC16-4020F-S0024/PEC16-4020F-S0024-ND/3780225

Does anyone know if they could be used in MD?

1 Like

overall not bad. but i think the shaft is too short

Shaft in MD MKI is bang on 20mm. By the way, after ordering them from Elektron (as it was cheaper in my case) it turns out that MD MM and OT use the same parts.
There is a post of a guy who did it with OT:

So my conclusion would be:

• PEC16-4020F-S0024 replaces encoders with no detents with switch;
  • PEC16-4220F-N0024 replaces encoder with detents no switch.

I will confirm this when the replacement is finished.

8 Likes

i have just completed pots, encoder and volume replacement. i confirm that parts mentioned earlier are the correct ones. cheers

11 Likes

Where are two different encoders you mention used? When you say “switch”, do you mean push down functionality?

Cheers

Thomas

Correct, switch = push down.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

I am assuming you are about to replace the encoders. If so, be very careful about aligning the new ones on PCB.

The reason I mention it is that encoder’s flange goes through the front plate holes. If you will get a couple of encoders positioned incorrectly you will struggle with assembling the box together.

P.S. Bear in mind that for volume knob you need to get a potentiometer. It is a dual/stereo one with 7 legs if I remeber correctly.

I just bought an old one. Lots of wobbble in the encoders. So at the moment I’m just gathering information for when it’s time to replace them. Not exactly looking forward to do the job. Although, it seems that if one has some experience with soldering and repairing stuff, it should not be that hard.

Cheers

Thomas

Well, the job is not very difficult. But as with any rework there is always a risk involved. I would suggest open the existing encoders, then cut off the remaining base from the the “legs” and finally desolder the actual “legs”. This approach will allow you to minimise the risk of lifting pads or breaking traces. If I recall correctly I put some pictures in Red Eye thread illustrating the outcome of encs and screen replacement. Good luck.

1 Like

hi, will they work for a4 mk1?

Before I answer have a look here:

and here

If you compare photos illustrating encoders it seems that they are the same for both units.
So I would say yes. However, I can’t guarantee it as I haven’t replaced them in my A4 but I am nearly certain that they will do the trick.

The bottom line is that they are fairly cheap and you are not risking much having a go.

Be careful when ordering and double check if you are getting the ones you want (with or without detents/switch).

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Yes, it helps, thank you. I will measure the one inside my a4 compare to this, i could also try out one, since i will place an order from mouser anyway for some other staff…

sounds like a damn good plan :slight_smile:

I have just realised that a link I wanted to appear as a reference turned out to be just an image.
Here is the link for the complete session of A4 MKI teardown. This should help you way better than my previous post (doh!).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/psychlist1972/albums/72157632621387322/

2 Likes

Btw, if you have it checked please post here to confirm if PEC encoders are fit as a replacement. Someone may find it helpful in the future.

I will definitely check out and report here :v: probably at the end off the next week.

1 Like

superb