Push 3 Users Thread

yes, sending midi to class compliant usb synth is possible.
Iconnectivity stuff should work too, I have P3s Connected to Midi4+, works, so I’d say Mio and other models should work too.
The only issue with Midi4+ is the port names are too long for Push to display (it’s something like IconnectivityMidi4+DIN1 bla bla) so a bit of guesswork is needed…

It’s a different model but to confirm I tried my mio XC with my desktop evolver and it worked as expected (needs a USB A -> C adapter of course).

Next step is to build a M4L control for the evolver, so I can work with it standalone for sampling :sweat_smile:

So you can actually see all virtual midi ports of the Midi4+? Exactly like how you would see it on a regular computer? That’s great!

I guess you just connect the Midi4+ to the USB A port of the Push 3, right?

I thought having multiple virtual midi ports are never class compliant? I think I had to install a driver for the mioXL? Thought only the usb host ports are class compliant…

If I understand you right, you connected the mioXC with the USB A-> C adapter to the USB A port of the Push 3?

Yes, that’s how I did it. The mioXC output and input show up as MIDI routing for the Push. I didn’t try it but my expectation is that I should be able to record the CC from evolver into clips on the Push as well.

1 Like

Here it is, a whole live album performed front to back on the Push 3 standalone. Audio goes out to the Model 1 for mixing, and for effect sends to the Zen Delay and Polymoon.

The P3s has really opened up the world of live performing in a way that no other piece of gear has for me. I am floored. Again, I’m sure this thing has its imperfections, but being able to play a live set of my favourite songs while also having fun? I’m pretty smitten right now.

23 Likes

Don’t know about the MiO xl, but I have the blokas midi hub and I can see all the midi ports. All synths work as they should

I have hooked it up to a mioXL via usb. Works as expected, I can see every port.

2 Likes

Using ADAT? Which interface? Will check set later :metal::metal:

I tried the Critter & Guitari mic today. I had the mic on its high gain setting, with gain maxed, and still needed to set Push’s preamp to High, plus add additional gain on the recording.

I recorded directly to Session grid. I haven’t saved anything so I’m still curious to see what shows up in the user library.

I still need to compare using the Critter & Guitari with my Focusrite interface.

The Rode Podmic is supposed to arrive today too. That one I plan on comparing with with the interface and recording direct to iOS.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting back. I purchased a Cloudlifter alternative to stick on to the end of the SM57 and I am hoping it “cures” the problem. It arrived last Saturday but I haven’t even been able to plug it in. :frowning:

I would prefer the mic be a bit less bulky, something that I could use outside on the stoop, or at the kitchen table, or even on my bed, but I am not sure I want to spend the money. I wonder how the Zoom H2 would do with these gain things. Also, Ableton could INCREASE the gain on the High setting as well. Seems like we shouldn’t be having these issues with such a wide variety of mics.

Cloudlifter should work well. It’s adding 30db if I remember right? I used to have one for my SM7B, but got rid of it after getting the (relatively inexpensive) Art Pro MPA II pre.

I’m hoping to use as few additional parts as possible.

I do have an older Zoom H4. That should be no problem picking things up and it’d be line out/line level on Push. I used to use it everywhere with both the built-in mic and using phantom power for condenser mics.

The Rode Podmic arrived, but I bought the wrong XLR to 1/4" cable. So, tomorrow is another day.

*But, I can report that Push powers the Podmic via USB-A. No signal input (but I didn’t think there would be one). Also it doesn’t power from USB-C.

So the only thing to test is how loud this thing can record at. If that works, this is another option for a very minimal (and versatile) setup.

1 Like

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, I think.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s good news! My collaborators have the same one. It is working well with P3? My cables are set to arrive today and we are meeting tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Took some setting up with the Focusrite software (I’ve never used ADAT), but once it was working, it’s been working flawlessly.

3 Likes

Excellent work Jay!!! Thank you so much for putting this together. This is a love letter to the reason ableton put the push 3 together. What a fun set! Really enjoyed it.

3 Likes

^To circle back around – I found this to be slightly too small. There’s very little extra room in one dimension, so I think I’ll return and opt for a more spacious alternative. That’s not on @tro – I can see how it can work, just my personal preference!

Just keep in mind the CL-1 needs phantom power, which the Push 3 isn’t going to be delivering.

1 Like

Tried searching the manual and thread, no dice:

Can you use external MIDI knob/encoder controllers with the Push? Is there a MIDI learn of sorts, or some mapping functionality?

How would you guys use Push 3 Standalone to seamlessly transition from one track to another track in a performance situation?
Is it possible at all? Do you use other gear to fill in the gap?
How long does Push 3 take to load a new project?
How do you resync the clock after loading a new project?

1 Like