Push 3 Users Thread

but you can flatten with all the FX you want applied etc… right?

Yep actually I wanted to low pass the original thing (a pad from the microfreak) while making the new thing, so I added an auto filter. Really smooth for me. There was of course a delay while flattening but that didn’t interrupt my flow too much. I hear folks complaining about not having the auto sampling features (for single notes) similar to the MPC but really I think it’s kinda possible, just flatten and drop in simpler, I think configuring it might not be possible without the desktop version though. Maybe they can add this

Quick day 1 update. Been using it for the past 5 hours and haven’t had a crash or hit the ceiling on the CPU yet.

Coming from my experience with Maschine+ in 2021, where I had about 5 crashes in 3 days and crackling audio for no apparent reason and you could very easily hit the CPU ceiling very easily, this feels much more stable. Even MPC Live which was 3 years old when I first got it crashed plenty of times.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I experience crashes on the Push 3 eventually. Apart from a somewhat odd start up process where the firmware failed the first attempt it’s been a pretty flawless experience. And I’m fairly patient with things like that especially launch products.

Maschine+ was the most unstable thing I’ve ever used though and I sent it back. It was much better in 2022 but ultimately it felt very weak on the CPU front for the price. And Native Instruments decayed support has turned me off from that brand (sucks cuz I love that hardware and workflow, used it for 10 years but NI isn’t the same company anymore).

I have suite by the way, but I haven’t installed any of my packs yet. Just been messing around with stock kits and my favorite synths (Operator, Wavetable, and Drift) and everything runs well and sounds good.

I am having the minor noise issue on the headphone jack that @DaveMech described. The noise is definitely some sort of ground loop though
I’m only plugged into power (it’s not a power conditioner though). It’s much more apparent on my AT M50x headphones, I couldn’t hear it on my Beyer 1990 Pros which have a much higher impedance. Speaking of which, the Push 3 has more than enough power to drive a 250ohm headphones if anyone was wondering. But for me the noise is pretty minor and I’d suspect most people wouldn’t notice it. It doesn’t go away when raising or lowering volume but I can’t hear it when sound is playing.

4 Likes

Interesting. How do we arm the track? Oh I found it:

“To do this, press and hold the display button under the track name, or hold the record button and then press the track’s lower display button. A circle icon will appear next to the track’s name to indicate that the track is armed.”

I am sold on the Laptop Push 3 combo. Already put my preorder in for that. It’s a no brainer for me. Standalone I think I can do without.

1 Like

I’ve spent the last several hours playing with my Push 3, and I can also report zero crashes. I’m very happy with it. Coming from a Linnstrument, I’m trying to embrace using scales instead of chromatic, and it is honestly refreshing right now. We’ll see after the honeymoon period is over.

I’ve never used pads anywhere near this good for finger drumming.

The build quality is fantastic on mine, and audio from my headphone jack is clean.

I don’t own a laptop (have a mac mini), so I decided to purchase the standalone. Using it on the couch briefly reminds me of all of the drawbacks of a gaming laptop, minus the fan noise. Big, hot, and heavy. But it is powerful for sound design, so I think it is worth it for hauling around on road trips.

I think my one complaint so far is that setting loop points on the Push 3 doesn’t feel as intuitive as using the click encoders on the Octatrack to set sample start and endpoints. I have newfound respect for the Elektron user interface.

4 Likes

Thanks for explaining this but I’m not sure I understand this one. Is it jumping between automation resets you mean? And if so, couldn’t you just make it so that the next scene uses a new copy of the clip with its own automation starting point? That’s how it works on the MPC, where each Sequence can have its own set of automations and where you can set the new automation starting point for each Sequence so that the start point matches the end point of the previous sequence. It can be a bit tedious at times but it’s possible to treat a number of Sequences effectively mimic an Arranger view.

I suppose on the Push 3 it would be faster to fix those in the real arranger view on the computer, but when you lose the ability to tweak things from the Push 3, since it lacks that view, right?

Yes, you can - keeping in mind I haven’t tried it on standalone.

I’m just mentioning one of the biggest criticisms about this type of workflow, and that’s the lack of transitioning between sections of a song. So it’s not all about automation, and not limited to Live, but it’s just good to know that there’s lots of ways to work around this in Live and likewise, it can be tedious.

1 Like

It’s possible you could sell your upgrade kit to someone that regrets getting the controller version only. Maybe even for the full $1000. Then you wouldn’t have to wait.

One thing I’ve found interesting is the complete difference between the response to push 3 on here (mostly people saying it’s great, no problems, acceptable problems - happy to hold out and wait for devs to catch up) and the Ableton forum where it’s endless doom and gloom. Clearly something special about Elektronauts!

I’m loving my standalone; Perfect? No. Worth having? Oh yes. Will it improve? You bet.

Originally had the idea of selling the standalone extras if I thought it would be better as controller vs standalone but I really like the flexibility.

3 Likes

You probably already know this but just in case:
The pads can also be set up to be chromatic in the Scales screen on the Push.

1 Like

I think you describe the way Maschine has implemented it with patterns, scenes and clips.

When I ordered, it said 8+ weeks, I got a shipping notification 2 weeks later. It arrives tomorrow (controller).

5 Likes

Live 11.3.10beta is out. Here’s what they fixed for the Push. It’s almost all the bugs I encountered so they’re moving pretty fast!

Still sent mine back: I felt a bit overwhelmed and in need of simpler things when doing DAW-less stuff. Pretty sure I’ll get another Standalone at some point but I’ll let them iron their product a bit more. Not trying to discourage anyone from getting it, it’s already a tremendous value. Just too computer-y (in the sense of “you can feel the computer too much under the interface”) for me right now. I’m gonna miss those pads pretty quick so I’m heading for a controller version soon.

Push - New features and improvements:

• User Mode is now available when using Push in Control Mode.
  • Items in the Projects folder are now arranged according to the selected sorting criteria.
  • Made the following changes to the Browse Mode:
  • Packs are now shown with the Packs folder.
  • The Favorites button is now no longer shown when navigating away from a folder.
  • Browse Mode can now be closed correctly if the User Mode was toggled when viewing the browser.
  • Improved discoverability of available Pushes in Live’s browser.
  • Improved the design of various icons in the Browse Mode.
  • It is now possible to set global launch quantization by holding the Metronome button and turning the fifth encoder from the left.

Push - Bugfixes:

• When the amount of Gain on a sample in Simpler is turned down to the minimum, the value will now be correctly displayed as -inf.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented users from changing the length of the notes in clips when using pads in the step sequencers.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented audio clips from being immediately available for conversion after being recorded.
  • Fixed a bug that caused automation parameters to overlap when holding a step in a step sequencer for automating while the Setup menu was open.
  • The input meter will now indicate clipping in cases where too much digital gain is applied.
  • A value of -0.0 no longer appears when fine-tuning Wavetable’s parameters.
  • When attempting to load a Max for Live device that cannot be opened on Push, an error message will now be immediately displayed on the hardware.
  • Added icons for Group Tracks and tracks containing Drum Racks or Instrument Racks.
  • If a new Set is created as a part of a lesson on Push, the display no longer shows a notification about a new Set.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the sensitivity curve to change abruptly when adjusting settings in the Sensitivity tab of the Setup menu.
  • Fixed a bug that resulted in parameters representing notes to display an integer value instead of the note name.
  • Increased the encoder sensitivity when adjusting the pitch bend range in Drift.
  • When playing repeated notes using the Repeat button in 16-Velocities layout, changing pressure on the pads will no longer change the velocity of the notes.
  • Removed the option to choose a different volume option by holding the Select button and tapping the Volume encoder.
  • Adjusting pressure applied to the pads when playing repeated notes while using the Poly or Mono Aftertouch Expression Modes will now correctly affect the velocity of the notes.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the Mute button from working when attempting to mute steps in a step sequencer.
  • Fixed an issue that could result in the shutdown confirmation message being displayed at the same time as the save confirmation message.
  • Improved responsiveness of the touch strip when changing octave in Note Mode while playing back a Set with a high CPU load.
  • Fixed an issue where Packs available for download or update were not visible after using the Hot-Swap Mode.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the battery charge level to be displayed as “N/A” after reaching 99% charge.
  • Improved handling of data removal, so that installing and then uninstalling a pack when using Push in Standalone Mode will now result in the same amount of free disk space as before installation.
  • Deleting the last item in a given folder will now result in the browser returning to the parent folder.
  • When dragging and dropping a clip onto the Push label in Live’s browser, the cursor now changes to indicate that the action cannot be performed.
  • Pressing the Preview upper display button in Push’s browser now affects the state of the Preview switch in Live’s browser and vice versa.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when stopping all playing clips with a return track selected.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the upper display buttons and editing options for MIDI clips to appear in white instead of matching the clip’s color.
  • It is now possible to adjust Drift’s Voice Count parameter on Push.
  • The available options for the Type B parameter in the EQ Eight device are now represented by icons.
9 Likes

is there any list of M4L devices that work with Push 3?

Push updates have always been tied to/delivered by Live, which always has a lengthy beta test for any version before release. They don’t do quick hotfix releases. The beta is your best bet to get more regular updates. Usually a beta is released every couple of weeks (11.3.10b1 was released yesterday with a couple of Push fixes)

3 Likes

damn looks like they hired the orkin man over there

1 Like

So what’s the verdict on the main jog wheel? Is it supposed to feel the same clickiness as the volume one? (mine doesn’t)

But as I understand it there is currently no advice about how such betas could be used with the standalone version of Push 3.

2 Likes

I don’t have a P3 so no idea. Listing all the P3 fixes in the betas but making users wait for the official release wouldn’t be great…

Pretty sure that’s a semi-private list for those who are signed up to the normal Live beta. I don’t think they’re doing anything wrong by sharing what they’re working on, even if it takes a while to get out there. All things considered I prefer transparency over secrecy. That said, it would be cool if there was an easy way for Standalone users to get on the beta if they are willing to risk it. Hopefully they’ll offer that option at some point. I can understand why they might be hesitant to do that right now though.

2 Likes