Push 3 Users Thread

The suggestion is just that you connect the Push to a computer to create a midi clip with a PGM change message and once that’s done you save and return to standalone. You don’t need anything else connected. You can set the MIDI routings on your Push manually in standalone later if you really want to continue to waste your own time

I googled it now and there’s a page in the Ableton knowledge base called “Sending Program Change messages from Live” that will show you how to do it

1 Like

New user here! Also, new Push 3 user. I come from Maschine Plus and Akai Force. I am trying to figure out approaches for live playing with the new Push 3 but now I am a bit disappointed as I cannot set macros and no song mode is possible. does anyone have ideas on how to perform live meaningfully with Push? I had a Push 2 back in the past but it did not click with me probably for the same reasons, namely, it seems to me that there are few affordances actually to play with it after a project is completed. Are there any M4L devices that can radically change the way we perform with Push 3? I want to remark on the performative aspect because I think that it is where all the fun happens via improvisation and changes on the fly. Consider for instance Lock States in Maschine and recently Snapshots in Akai Force. I know these functions are not present on the Push 3 and for this reason, I want to know more about how you use it in a live situation, beyond being a mixer and launching pad for clips. Thanks very much!

You can always spend 90 days with the Ableton Suite trial for free. Figure out if you gel with it as a DAW and what your workflow might be. Then, after those 3 months, and based on whatever limitations the Push standalone has at that time, figure out if it’s worth spending that 2k.

1 Like

No longer 90 days. Now they came back to the 30 days trial

2 Likes

Yeah I’m aware of the trial route and it’s an obvious one (and I’ll do it!). My question was really just to hear if there are any others with no previous experience with Ableton who took the plunge with the Push 3, and if so, what their experience has been so far.

You’re covering a lot of ground here without asking specific questions… but, main one I can read is about song mode… you need to consider the Push 3 as being an Ableton peripheral device where a lot of the power/possibilities come from your setup within Ableton Live. That’s where you can create song mode, macros, etc… then export the session to the Push 3.

I’d view ‘Standalone’ as a way to leave the computer behind, not abandon it completely.

7 Likes

Had someone here already made mappings for the v-collection that they are willing to share? Or does anyone know if there are sites that sell mappings? I am happy to pay for my laziness….

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/arturia-wrappers-by-elisabeth-homeland/ but just for the FX it seems.

1 Like

They fixed it so it starts at the location of the sample when you hot swap. I can’t remember if it’s in release or just beta though as I run the beta.

1 Like

Good to hear.

Any idea if this quirk has been ironed out?

[https://youtu.be/tqZk-t8gFhQ?si=Vsx8GFCyP171VACA]

I’d view ‘Standalone’ as a way to leave the computer behind, not abandon it completely.

To me, this really sums up Push 3 value proposal. Expecting it to be fully standalone will only lead to disapointments. Many devices are much better at providing a more coherent full standalone workflow.

However, none (or Maybe M+, although its abandonware) are as powerful for this kind of hybrid, customizable workflow.

The standalone side is great for the creative and performance phases of a project, while the tethered version allows to go deep in the technical setup of a project as well as for the editing/mixing phases.

That’s my humble opinion after a first phase of experimentation and it brought me to a very happy and productive place with Push 3 :cupid:

10 Likes

Fyi - 20% discount code for buying P3 Standalone was sent out to existing owners of Push 2

Really … never got one

After a few months of only hooking mine up for updates and sample transfer, I’m starting to agree. The limits of standalone have been discussed here ad nauseam so I’m not going to belabor the point, but I’ve definitely reached a point where I think I need to hook it up to the computer and start setting up some projects, racks, etc itb to transfer.

3 Likes

This 100%. It really has opened up so much for me so far. And I’ve got a gazillion more ideas because of this hybrid workflow. It’s pretty incredible.

There are things I still hope they will implement like the mapping workflow and max4live sequencers that can use the pads.

But even if it stays like this im a happy camper.

4 Likes

2 Likes

are you on their mailing list?

1 Like

Push 3 Tracks starting to come out of the oven as i like to say :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just received the email today. Man 1599 US for a stand-alone ableton setup is so tempting. I think I can set this up on tops of my pc gaming rig to sketch and run live on my i9 13900k / 4090 / 64 GB gaming pc. Considering I was about to drop 700 on an Mpc one + this might be the better deal.

Its an amazing deal. I dont recall Push 2 going on sale until years after release. I do hope they do another next year when my finances are better :smile:

3 Likes