Push 3 Users Thread

Maybe! It’s kind of great to take a small standalone multitimbral synth (Blofeld or something) and t-1 somewhere and just jam.

When did you preorder your Push 3? Was it the standalone or controller version?

I think I placed my order on May 26, it’s the standalone version.

1 Like

In Poland, third party retailers were selling Push 3 for a couple weeks. I just checked and it looks like they pulled the listings now.

1 Like

Update to the finger hover near top of touchstrip gets rid of the touchstrip problem revelation:

Earlier I said it worked with a plugged in USB charger wire left in the vicinity too, but it seems a broader selection of unconnected metals also works. eg I can rest a headphone adaptor in that area and the touchstrip then works.

I usually only get the problem the first time I have used the device for hours, and it doesnt come back when I reboot, but if rebooting is inconvenient then I will also make use of this method while waiting to see if Ableton come up with a better fix.

Besides all the “I’ve ordered and am waiting” and “I want the Push to be a Flux Capacitor why isn’t it yet” - which I all get - in what setups do you use your Push 3?

Since this is the Push 3 users thread and we already have the https://www.elektronauts.com/t/new-push-3-mpe-standalone-option-out-now/ thread for those topics .

7 Likes

I am finding the opposite effect. Push standalone includes all you need during the creative process, with distracting bloat.

1 Like

Standalone here. I’ve been bouncing around different ideas. Tried the torso t-1 controlling it for a bit just to gauge how midi devices work as input. Then later today I hooked it up to the modular, which was great aside from needing to configure the cv stuff inside of Ableton on the PC first. For me this thing will likely move around my house to different areas where gear is and serve as a hub to capture ideas and then couch time for messing around with ideas with clips.

2 Likes

I’ve used it three ways so far. The first is as a controller, same as push 2, but with more fun playing Auras and other MPE enabled stuff.

The most fun way has been as a standalone jam box. I spent a day creating a new set, hitting save immediately, seeing what the set got automatically named and then using that for inspiration. Last one was “Eagle from the sea” so I got the Apollo 11 audio and chopped that up over some drums and a baseline. Have not made more than an 8 bar loop but made more of them than I have in the year so far after getting the push 3. Absolutely a great way to lose yourself for a couple of hours and generate some ideas. The capture midi button is one of those small things that actually make a huge difference as you can quickly grab those happy accidents without breaking flow.

The last way is as a controller/sequencer/tape machine for a few hardware synths I have. Have them connected to ADAT and a mioXL so can hook the Push 3 in and sequence and record them all at once.

It is expensive, and there are lots of things to come, things that aren’t polished, buggy etc. as documented in this thread but I’m still super happy with mine. I am probably square in the target market as some of my favourite times have been getting lost tweaking Wavetable on the Push 2 so this feels like a natural extension.

I made a spreadsheet of the things I’m going to be happy to sell now and they will come to about the same price as the Push 3 cost me so I actually think it’s good value for the enjoyment I’m getting from it.

11 Likes

As I posted about a week ago, I’m treating mine like a stand alone instrument / musical sketchbook.

What I’m enjoying about the Push 3 standalone is that it makes it easy to explore a wide range of sounds and instrument types and then get those down and then start riffing on them, building new ideas, etc. The workflow is, for my way of creating, more spontaneous than working on the Akai Force or MPC which I also still own.

Having had little experience with the Ableton instruments before, I’m still spending lots of time presets and/or making my own patches and then using those as inspiration for exploring interesting melodic lines, chord changes, etc. Once I get something I like I’ll add drums and bass and sketch out possible song sections.

4 Likes

If it’s of interest for anyone, capture midi on Push 2 is triggered with holding „record“ and pushing „new“.

7 Likes

Finally got my order confirmation. Took about 4 days after the 48 hour notification email.

Pretty hyped for it, bugs and all.

7 Likes

I’m using it like an Ableton MPC. Have it hooked up to a Motu M4 so I can sample my PC (since I couldn’t figure out how to do that using the P3’s audio interface). Have a record player hooked up to the Motu as well. Sampling is quick and easy.

2 Likes

:exploding_head: thank you!

1 Like

Nice! I have only restarted my standalone once (because of I couldn’t edit notes) since I got mine May 26. Haven’t encountered any other bugs.

Anyone tested standalone with Fors Chiral MPE M4L? Curious if it would work.

LFO for Push is fantastic. So useful to be able to set up LFO routings in standalone mode. Mega thanks to Elisabeth Homeland.

Can’t wait to see what turns up on Isotonik as well in the coming months when more folks get hold of a Push 3. They’ve always been good for distributing interesting Max for Live stuff.

No affiliation, just appreciation.

10 Likes

The capture button is such a workflow enhancer. Brings out a ton of creativity especially when overdubbing.

2 Likes

Someone requested a simple “scene chainer” device as an alternative to the more full featured push song mode device. I got something working - need to test on hardware tomorrow and then I’ll release it. Basically it just plays back scenes in order, automatically. No controls, no fuss. Trigger any scene and it’ll fire them off until it reaches an empty scene.

8 Likes

is there a list of M4L devices that work?